Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Family Fortunes Challenge  (Read 4376 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Family Fortunes Challenge
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:27:03 pm »

I've been playing a 7 pop cap limit fortress in DF 0.40.23 for seven game years and I've just now had the first married couple turn up, with their little kid. The challenge: To get as large a dwarf population as possible with no more migrants - only natural population growth.

You may now place bets on how long it takes me to fail, or who dies first, or whatever. ;)

Date: 2011 Late Summer, 7th Galena
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1017 Late Spring, 5th Felsite
Ilral Athelmafol lost his life in a tragic accident.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:22:36 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Family Fortunes Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:28:55 pm »

You should have the patriarchs surname be hereditary. And you should name the eldest son by his father's name and with ordinal number. Then you can observe clans growing.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:44:56 pm »

You should have the patriarchs surname be hereditary. And you should name the eldest son by his father's name and with ordinal number. Then you can observe clans growing.

Is that actually possible with the nickname system? I don't really want to have to remember a second name for all of them.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:57:01 am »

I name each by hand. There is no right way to do it. The game names dwarves randomly which doesn't help. If you have to name them by hand in your way of choice. I copy the first name and give their husband's or father's last name for a nickname.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:50:17 am »

OK, I've got an idea forming about how to do this in a proper dwarfy manner. It will have to wait a while, though.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:26 am »

I usually determine the surname of married dwarves in this manner:

1. Is a Major Noble - Baron, Count, ect... (Surname is name of the site that the noble rules)
   Ex: Fortress name = "BonePalace", Surname = "Bonepalace"
2. Has been "dorfed" by a forumite (Surname = Forumite's name)
   Ex: Forumite = "Timeless Bob", Surname ="Timelessbob"
3. Created an artifact (Surname is first word in artifact name)
   Ex: Artifact = "Roundstone the Battle of Chocolate", Surname = "Roundstone"
4. Is one of the founding seven, (Surname = "Founder")
   Ex: "Founder Dangerpaddle"
5. Is a Minor Noble: Mayor/Broker/Champion, ect... (Surname is "Sir/Lady" followed by individual's first name)
   Ex: "Sir Dangerpaddle Bloodyaxe", "Lady Dangerpaddle Bloodyaxe"
6. Is in the squad of the Captain of the Guard (Surname is the individual's most recent notable kill followed by "-bane")
   Ex: Most recent notable kill = "Amazingbanners" the FB, Surname = "Amazingbanners-bane"
7. Has the highest level of skill in a profession (Surname is that profession)
   Ex: Profession = "Engraver", Surname = "Engraver"
8. Neither of the two dwarves have any of the above. Ie: two peasants with no skills. (Surname is the most high priced possession)
   Ex: Possession = "Turkey leather hood", Surname becomes "Hood"

I usually remove the "first" names of all single dwarves that are not already a part of surname families using the simple method of using a "Mr" or "Miss" as the "first" name except for the Major and Minor nobility, (Which get Sir/Lady instead).  Surnames can then be added to the gender titles, so that "Miss" Gravefortune might become upon marriage to the baron: "Lady Bonepalace". 

Surnames go in order of importance from first to last, so that if   "Mr Engraver" Serpenttongue (Born into the "Engraver" family), married "Mrs Amazingbanners" Mousemansion, he would become "Mr Amazingbanners" Serpenttongue. (And probably move into better quarters because he's "married above his caste".)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:01:36 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 07:49:18 am »

if   "Mr Engraver" Serpenttongue (Born into the "Engraver" family), married "Mrs Amazingbanners" Mousemansion, he would become "Mr Amazingbanners" Serpenttongue. (And probably move into better quarters because he's "married above his caste".)

Let me guess, Serpenttongue got together with Mousemansion because of his 'linguistic' skills?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 01:06:57 pm »

1017 Late Autumn, 4th Timber.
It is no longer possible for any more children to be born as Bembul is the only male dwarf left, and he will not remarry. Fortress abandoned.

STATS: Max population reached: 12
Time lasted: 6 years and 3 months and 25 days.
Cause of fortress failure: Forgotten beast attack, and carelessness with lava.

Anyone want to see me try again? :)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 04:24:23 pm »

I would love to try this kind of thing but the sheer amount of time taken to get multiple generations children to grow up, and the not impressive speed at which my computer can traverse the years puts me off
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:57 pm »

I'd love to see you attempt to salvage seven generations of one clan of dwarves - the Expedition leader and whomever they marry.  Call it "the seven generation challenge".  I think it would be even more awesome if each time a generation of children grew into peasants, that the fortress was retired and they had to migrate to a new fortress too.  Can you imagine how cool the world-gen histories of each member of the family would become as stuff happened to them off-screen before they immigrate too?  Even better in a world with no previous history (well, OK: the 2 year minimum.)

It would be like growing an imperial dynasty from scratch - a dwarf fortress bonzai garden...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:08:56 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii