Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Refugees  (Read 5000 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Refugees
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:36:05 am »

Bands of refugees (not sure if they should be from non-dwarven races or not) fleeing from nearby warzones turn up on the map and request refuge. You can assimilate them into the fortress or shelter them for a specified while. These positive actions will result in better relations with the faction that the refugees are from (and may trigger some kind of reward?) Alternatively, you can turn them away or kill them, resulting in a drop in relations with the faction they are from.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:42:56 am »

Aren't migrants refugees sometimes? I like the idea though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:43 am »

Sometimes, but when normal migrants arrive you usually groan and continue with what you were doing. Having specific events like this would help integrate your fortress with the outside so you might actually care a little about what's going on in the rest of the world.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »

Im fairly certain that this is something that will come up once taverns are fully implemented.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 01:18:33 pm »

Why are taverns linked to refugees?

Besides, refugees are already in DF. If a fort collapses to a tantrum spiral, the next fort can receive stressed or insane migrants from the old fort ready to ruin it too. If dwarves arrive about to cause chaos, the best thing to do is to direct them to the magma chambers and put them out of their misery.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »

The point is that these could be refuges from other nations/races.  Thus, you could open up the option to integrate humans or elves into your fort.  Different races already coexist within the same civilizations.  There isn't even any discrimination if these additional races can get noble positions or even become king. 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »

That'd be a reason to buy foreign armour. But I don't think integrating other races into your fortress would keep in line with how dwarves act. They trade, and if someone forces their way into the civ, they're barely accepted. 
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »

That'd be a reason to buy foreign armour. But I don't think integrating other races into your fortress would keep in line with how dwarves act. They trade, and if someone forces their way into the civ, they're barely accepted.

I observed a dwarf civilisation with a goblin queen who had no problems with it. While dwarves currently accept foreign rulers, they should be less inclined to do so.

Refugees are usually bad news, and dwarves would thus be unlikely to accept them. Would you welcome a load of dirty, dishevelled foreigners with very little to offer demanding food and quarters? Never mind that dwarves and elves are not always the best of friends.

Having foreign diplomats, merchants and other, wealthier creatures I can accept, and it should be possible for dwarves to accept human and elven characters of this nature, who are reputable and will not cause crime and squalour.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »

This suggestion requires the ability to have full citizens of multiple creature types, which is not possible yet.  Even if you DFHack a human into your fort's population, it would be a pet.  Multi-racial forts will come, and perhaps with the Tavern Arc.

The Tavern Arc is mentioned because that is the fort's interface with the outside world beyond what the liaisons say... and some of those friendlies will be of other races.  Some of the activities will take place at the Trade Depot or Meeting Hall or noble's office, but the overall feature set is known as the Tavern Arc.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 04:34:15 pm »

I observed a dwarf civilisation with a goblin queen who had no problems with it. While dwarves currently accept foreign rulers, they should be less inclined to do so.

Refugees are usually bad news, and dwarves would thus be unlikely to accept them. Would you welcome a load of dirty, dishevelled foreigners with very little to offer demanding food and quarters? Never mind that dwarves and elves are not always the best of friends.

Its not just kings though, but barons, mayors, and any other noble position.  If a human can become mayor, why wouldn't you let him be a fisherman?

"Dirty, dishevelled, foreigners with veyr little to offer..." So... pretty much every migrant wave? They are outsiders who show up as legendary gelders or lack any skill whatsoever.  They often come with their children (or several of them).  We already take in strangers with no useful skills who demand food without even being able to work (their kids).  As to the crime comment... refugees resort to crime because they are desperate and lack money (food/shelter).  However, without the economy everyone is technically just as poor.  You can assign quarters and give someone a diamond encrusted adamantium robe... but they didn't BUY the robe.  They would still have exactly as much money as some dirty refugee. 

So when said refugees show up, you draft them into the military, set them to fishing, farming, or let them be scud-labor (hauling duty).  If one of them actually has a useful skill (master weaponsmith that like warhammers and platinum? You don't see! Right this way to your gilded room!) we can set them to work doing something actually useful.  However... this is the same as ANY OTHER MIGRANT WAVE.  Refugees aren't useless labor by default... even doctors and highly-skilled craftsmen become refugees when a dragon decides to set fire to their town. 

However, if we can accept refugees (which are already tracked and even named by default), then default migration would likely need to be scaled back.  Shit, migration already needs to be scaled back without adding in a secondary source.  We shouldn't be able to grow from 7 dwarves to 200+ in just a couple of years!

Having foreign diplomats, merchants and other, wealthier creatures I can accept, and it should be possible for dwarves to accept human and elven characters of this nature, who are reputable and will not cause crime and squalour.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 05:45:13 pm »

Migrants might be dishevelled, useless dwarves, but they are dishevelled, useless dwarves, not elves!

Joking apart, I would like to see successful forts attract skilled and wealthy migrants. It makes sense that only poor desperadoes with little to lose would go to a new outpost, but once it is a successful mountainhome with the monarch in residence, better quality migrants should arrive. Non violent immigration control should also be possible, turning away low quality migrants once the fort has reached a certain size and wealth.

For old times' sake.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:58:00 pm »

I like the idea.

But why BUY the foreign equipment .

If we let say...a goblin into the fort as one of our own. And that goblin knows how to make whips, weather becase he is a forge goblin or has seen them made lots of times he should be able to make them and even show the dwarfs how. (Cue a community/succession fort for the purpose of gathering foreign knowledge)

An elf joining could actually be a major blessing (ducks behind rock) look just think for a moment.
Figured it out yet?
Sigh.
Elves can grow there wood without harming the tree. This could be a great boon to those who live on deserts or glaciers or even just deforested places.
Not to mention thay could improve your dwarfs animal training, trapping, animal tameing, ect.

Humans have there daggers as well....and sometimes have whips, do you know how effective daggers can be in the right hands? The too handed swords?

Not to mention mounts. IIRC even the dwarfs belonging to a goblin fraction attack thay can't use mounts. But with others.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:06:59 pm »

Elves can grow there wood without harming the tree. This could be a great boon to those who live on deserts or glaciers or even just deforested places.

I always got the sense that elves grew their wooden items out of the sides of trees, or made the tree grow a new branch or branches in the shape of what they needed. I doubt they'll be able to grow wood out of nothing at all.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:09:14 pm »

Whips should be nerfed into the ground against armour. They should only be good for fighting unarmed enemies, and for all that torture that goblins love so much - that will teach Urist Thiefgoblin what happens if he steals from the booze stores.

Using migrants' skills could be very useful. I always thought elves just took wood by cutting branches and did not fell the tree and kill it as dwarves do, but I may be wrong. It certainly seems like they must take it from an existing tree, or grow it from one.

For old times' sake.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 07:12:58 pm »

But as long as you have one tree....and the elf has enough power......

Even in a desert you could get a tree from the carvern for the wood, same for glaciers.

Also what if you could get potted saplings.....that would be handy. You could import a few saplings that you can't get in your biome.

Ninja'd
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: [1] 2 3