Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Refugees  (Read 4997 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 12:05:58 pm »

On the positive side, they could sometimes have some more useful skills, like legendary armoursmith, or do things that dwarves cannot do, like elves growing wood.

Did you say 'Elven Re-Education Camp'?  I will look forward to ERECs.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 12:14:26 pm »

Elven re-education would mostly involve stopping them from eating corpses and sneering at beards. Once they got to work growing wood, no more trees would have to be felled, so the ethics clash would diminish.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 06:35:54 pm »

We should still kill them.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »

We should still kill them.
Better, turn off lever pulling duties on everyone else and make the elf kill the invading elves...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »

Also, different races have different stat averages.  Dorf's tend to have things like higher creativity than average (lots of creative dorfs, few with negative attribute).  I'd imagine elves might be low on strength, but high on agility.  This would allow you to better specialize labor.  Your ranged squads could be all hippies (high agility).  I believe goblins have decent agility and -very- high memory.. which should make them good herbalists and back up archers.  Goblins DO have a high rate of murder in their civs though... so likely any goblin refugees would just wind up in jail.  Not sure what the stat averages for humans are.
The pluses and minuses about to be mentioned are a system of standard attribute ranges where one plus is plus 250 to each spot on the range and one minus is 100 less to each spot on the range.Dwarves have a plus to: strength, toughness, analytical ability, creativity, patience and memory, two pluses to focus and spatial sense, and a - to agility. Humans have completely average stats as they are the basis for the stats, they are a good bit bigger though. Elves a plus to: agility, recuperation, intuition, spatial sense, musicality, empathy, and social awareness, two pluses to kinesthetic sense, three pluses to disease resistance and linguistic ability, a minus to patience, and a memory as high as it gets. Goblins have a plus to: strength, recuperation, and disease resistance, two pluses to: endurance, willpower and social awareness, two minuses to creativity and intuition, three minuses to empathy, and a memory as high as it gets.

I'd say agility is probably better for melee combat than archery though. Agility affects movement speed which barely matters for archery, and it affects all combat skills of which archery has two, and melee has six. What elves would be best for it seems, is brokering. Elves have incredibly high linguistic ability to the point where the worst possible linguistic ability an elf could get is still a good amount better than the average dwarf. Then their high memory helps them remember those skills since brokers commonly have long breaks before caravans. Overall I'd say elves are slightly worse soldiers than dwarves, though they do have a very high memory and no maxage so that helps slightly. Goblin stats are quite bad for any creative labors, but they are about as good, maybe slightly better for combat than dwarves' then you throw in their high memory and no maxage and you got a soldier that's better than a dwarf. Humans don't have any bad stats, but they also don't have any good stats and since all the others have almost exclusively positives and humans have a by far lowest max age of 60:120 they don't seem very good. However, they do have one advantage, and that is size. Size gives them a significant better wrestling defense and offense, along with a general strength increase that probably makes them equal to goblins in strength. Size also allows them to wield bigger weapons, those being the two handed weapons, and it guarantees that every human can use the smaller weapons in one hand, while some of the others might need to use two. So humans would probably be better for wrestling and two handed weapons should you find some good ones, and I've heard stories that the two handed sword is incredibly powerful so it might be worth it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 06:05:58 pm »

I'm very in favour of refugees coming ahead of raiding and/or besieging armies, but in a different way: I want you to be swamped by hilldwarves.

In the time period DF semi-emulates, the percentage of the European population involved in agriculture was something like 60-70%. (This wasn't true in urban populations - cities had like 20-30% in food distribution.)

In addition to agriculture and trade changes to make fortresses more likely to rely on local hilldwarves trading or tithing their crops than farming, I also want you to have to deal with a biggish group of those dwarf farmers, peasants and animal caretakers showing up shortly before the enemy (instead of tending their farms). So not only does your (already needed) food production drop, your population doubles, and the refugee dwarves come with unhappy thoughts. Forgotten Beasts should have a similar wave of refugee deep dwarves. After the siege the hill dwarves can go home, but depending on how badly the farms have been pillaged it ought to take time to get the farms going again.

Obviously nothing is to stop the player locking those refugees out, or burrowing them in somewhere they can't eat the fort's food. There should also be options to ration food for different segments of the population.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »

Yes.  Let the hierarchies begin!  Formal ones, at least.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 08:24:26 pm »

If I got an elf in my fort  would probably try to get some daggers....and if I were to ever get some Cotten candy......that hypnotic....blue metal....that...sweet.....(blinks) hehe if I got my hands on that stuff and i might have something like this

Elves joins fort

Most of the elves get slaughtered by invaders

One of the elves goes and slaughterers the invaders

Elfmc aewsome is given some daggers

Elfmc aewsome becomes one of our best warriors

Elfmc aewsome is given too blue metal daggers
A blue metal cape with an image of a burning knife on it
A blue metal chain mail with the image of a dragon
A steel breastplate with fire opal spikes and an image of a great battle in gold opal
And other epic stuff.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2016, 02:52:13 am »

I took a liberty to revive this thread, since visitors has been added, but not the refugees.

I often ask myself why the diplomats tell me about things that are of no importance to me. It's not like I care that some site I never heard of is being attacked by goblin army. Well, perhaps it would be a good idea to change it. Take a look at the following image:

Basically, it says that some site is under attack by goblins and several groups of refugees escaped the onslaught. Now if the refugees were able to come to my fortress and ask for protection, this could be a very valuable information, giving me some time to prepare for their arrival. I think it would be an interesting way to build a stronger connection between the fortress and the rest of the world.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 09:25:36 am »

It would make more sense if refugees came to your gates begging to be let in than a wave of 30 people from more established fortresses, yes.

I'd personally love to have the ability to just give them a large supply of food and maybe crossbows or something and tell them to keep on looking when there's too many of them at once, though...

Also, could we maybe request that Toady maybe start adopting a style of writing that doesn't make our collective eyes glaze over? You could set it up to be "refugees in five different groups fled" and save a lot of player attention.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 10:04:02 am »

My current suggestion in-the-works (not written yet) would help to fix the eyeglaze.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 09:43:47 pm »

"Oh, look! A bunch of refugees appeared in my lands! Let's see what are they able to-- They are all Elves."

B U I L D  W A L L
U
I
L
D

W
A
L
L
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 2 [3]