Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [0.43.05] The Fall : Release 8 - Just updated.  (Read 36547 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
[0.43.05] The Fall : Release 8 - Just updated.
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »

Introduction

The nations of the world outgrew their cradle. Crafty alchemists, curious inventors, powerful mages, great technomancers, immortal liches - everyone tried to overcome the limits of the mortal world and obtain the unobtainable, learn everything they were not supposed to know, become bigger than they were meant to be.

Nobody knows for sure what was the last drop, was it some crazy demonologist ritual, some crazy scientist or just gods getting tired of the futile attempts of the bugs called “sentient creatures”. But the world ceased to be. Where it used to exist now there’s an empty space, and rare interplanar travellers just scratch their heads and move along.

However the world was not destroyed. It was dragged into another location, somewhere where it’s not supposed to be. Apparently the World is a tough construct, it did not explode or collapse into nothing. But the new environment is not what everyone is used to see: a dim oval-shaped sun, a huge red moon, oddly-colored sky, constant lightnings amoung the clouds… There is no way to describe the new celestial view in its full glorious and macabre look, let’s just say that the skies have changed forever.

The skies were not the only things that changed. The Fall (which is the name of the event) was followed by deadly plagues, sudden deaths and Taint. Taint touched everything it could and mutated it into terrifying creatures if it was strong enough, or just made it die. The world has changed forever along with its inhabitants. Will you manage to take on the new twisted world or will you die with the weak beings?

CIVILIZATIONS

Vaulters: These bearded builders and artificers have managed to predict the Fall and build shelters to avoid the influence of the event. Unfortunately only a small part of shelters survived, so now they struggle to rebuild their nation and recover the lost knowledge and strength.

Tribals: The human society barely survived the Fall. Most of humans were killed or turned into tainted creatures, and those who survived in old vaulters' fortresses and in caves are now reduced to a primitive and tribal life. Nonetheless the natural curiosity and flexibility of the human race guaranteed them a place under the new dim sun. They usually build primitive towns of dugouts around abandoned vaults or caves which they praise and call "the cradle".

Crooked men: Not all of the tainted men are twisted beyond salvation. Some of them managed to keep their humanity and organize into big communities. It’s almost like nothing has changed for them: they are still sometimes cruel, sometimes forgiving, sometimes clever, sometimes stupid humans as they used to be before the fall. Other surviving races don’t like their company though. There's a myth that they sold their soul to outworlders. Thus crooked men dwell in abandoned cities, not fearing the Taint and slowly rebuilding what they once lost.

Enclave: The Enclave is a secretive political, scientific, and militaristic elven organization that is descended directly from the last remaining high elves, who managed to stay untainted and protect a part of the untamed wilds for their living, and claims to be the legally-sanctioned continuation of the world government and the last bastion of hope. The Enclave is mostly comprised of descendants of high nobility of old elven cities, elite members of ranger squads, as well as a few remaining mages. They sworn to protect the remains of the world from Taint and cleanse the world from twisted creatures. The Enclave takes pride in being the last known concentrated bastion of pure, untainted civilization and being the most technologically advanced faction in the world. They refuse to believe in the fact that some of their mages caused coming of The Fall as well.

Raiders: After the Fall all kinds of goblinoids banded together in rather large groups led by a single instinct. They could not miss the opportunity to enslave the other races using the terrifying events happening around the world. To their surprise, most of the nations were able to band together and organize resistance, so what was supposed to be a blitzkrieg now turned into a full fledged war.

Ghouls: These wretched humanoids dwell in tainted and twisted areas of the new world. Originally called elves, they used to be very close to the nature and animals and they gathered their power and magic from a force of their forests. When the Fall happened, these creatures were one of the first to take the full impact of the Taint and the following mutations transformed them into almost mindless beasts bent on destruction of now alien civilized races.

Dregs: Small twisted humanoids with glowing eyes, the dregs hide in caves and abandoned cities and sometimes steal from civilized settlements. They can rarely be found vagabonding in dark alleys of various cities, ready to do any dirty work.

Mod features

For more detailed explanations, check the mod manual at the top of this post.

- Body and tissue rebalance.
- Weapon remake.
- Flintlock pistols and rifles.
- Short named materials (yet more types: cloth, silk, suede, leather, hide, dragonscale, chitin, carapace).
- Metal remake: iron ore needs additional processing to become wrought iron; brass is a precious metal; aluminum is gone; more medieval alloys.
- Nobles' remake.
- Custom made from scratch (all of them) creatures, with proper features, abilities, materials and sounds.
- Custom made from scratch megabeasts (right now just 6 types of dragon, with different abilities and one undead type - dracolich).
- Custom made from scratch semimegabeasts (right now 3 titans: sea, forest, mountain titans).
- Custom plants, organized with a specific logic and lots of products.
- Colored flowers for each type of dye.

Development plan

Ravenous update: Finish ghouls and dregs.
Crooked update: Make crooked men in different castes with various mutations/extra appendages; make a "crooked" caste for each race; make special interactions available to them only.
Chemistry update: Expand the existing alchemy lab to allow extraction of sulfur and arsenic from minerals; add arsenic bronze; introduce blackpowder.
Gunsmithing update: Requires chemistry update, make guns craftable and ammo made with blackpowder; make special fire arrows and explosive blocks for catapults.
Architect's update: add calcinator, make concrete and bonemold blocks in calcinator; make colored block crafting.
Poison update: Make extractable usable animal venoms; make coating vat and ability to coat weapons/ammo in poisons.
Scholarship update: Make "research tree" and make other advanced crafting paths require researching first. Vellum from leather/paper scrolls from plants; research notes and breakthrough tomes.
Misleading Good update: Make good areas contain more magical trees, plants and creatures (not so good to travellers though, since they are going to be weird and dangerous).
Eternal Evil update: Make evil areas bloom with twisted flora and expand on evil bestiary. Make special semimegabeasts and outworldish creatures.
Night Creature update: Expand on necromancer types, werewolves and vampires; custom region-styled mummies.
Deep caverns update: Make deep caverns a place to fear; make cavern layer-specific flora and fauna so each cavern would look unique.
Adventure time update: Implement adventure mode crafting, expand speech.

Every update will come with balancing changes and additions to existing overexpanding bestiary.

New release for the version 0.43.05: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13104
Old download for the version 0.42.06: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10843

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:42:13 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Sounds like a great idea for a setting!  Looking forward to your projects as always, good luck.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Sounds fun. I better practice good vault-fortress design for this. Stick with the theme. Maybe practice altar and cathedral build and such while at it. Max-out the style.

Always an interesting design idea: Sierpinski Triangle Fortress, or fortresses with Sacred Geometry as a grid. Perfect for the theme.

EDIT:
I hate when my mind turns into pretty much a thesaurus and I have to flip through terms and re-edit a few times until I got the right word.

EDIT EDIT:
Watching Chronicles of Riddick again. I forgot how awesome Necromonger architecture is.

Some shots of the architecture of Necropolis.
http://riddick.wikia.com/wiki/Necropolis

Also something Megaproject-worthy to build + magma pump to make it work:
http://riddick.wikia.com/wiki/Conquest_Icon
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:50:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I shall also watch this, as it holds some interest to me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Careful with cathedrals, I plan to go more summoning-crazy than with my Genesis Reborn :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Oh, you can definitely build it. And make it better than magma pump (and more FPS-friendly). One of planned doomsday devices is a weapon which unleashes hellfire on everything that is outside. Basically it rains dragonfire.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Oh, you can definitely build it. And make it better than magma pump (and more FPS-friendly). One of planned doomsday devices is a weapon which unleashes hellfire on everything that is outside. Basically it rains dragonfire.
That's perfect, because that's exactly how these things work. Basically cleanses a planet clean, and only the tower remains as a reminder not to screw with the Necros.

Alternatively, someone can craft a replica of Lavos, and riddle the shell with those too and pretty much do the same thing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you replace the post-apoc with dystopian future, keep the magic, steampunk and interdimension theme, you could go straight for Shadowrun. I thought about making a mod based on it, it would fit the mechanics beautifully... a shadowrunning adventurer, or a fort-mode mega-corp that protects itself from raids by Atztecnology or shadowrunner ambushes/thieves.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I actually have made a pretty big Shadowrun mod in the past, it was never released though.
I want to keep this one less cybertech and more steampunk related though, however the atmosphere is close and somewhat similar.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I actually have made a pretty big Shadowrun mod in the past, it was never released though.
You what?  :o

I'm thinking about what you did with Genesis and Genesis Reborn... make a Masterwork Reborn. Maybe with better name though.

I'm sure IndigoFenix machinism scripts might come in handy if you do steampunky things. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Okay, I've made the basis of surface plants (+ unique-named drinks and products including bread), so they are added to the manual from the first post.
   ** Crops
      ** barley      any grassland, shrubland, savanna            lager beer
      ** corn         tropical grassland, shrubland, savanna         bourbon
      ** oats         temperate grassland, shrubland, savanna         oatmeal stoat   
      ** rhye         any grassland, shrubland, savanna            dark beer
      ** rice         tropical grassland, shrubland, savanna         rice vodka
      ** wheat      any grassland, shrubland, savanna            whiskey
   ** Forest berries
      ** bloodberry   temperate forest, shrubland                  blood wine
      ** grape vine   tropical forest, shrubland                  grape wine
   ** Forest mushrooms
      ** amanita      any forest                              amanita wine
      ** toadstool   any forest                              toadstool wine
      ** truffle      any forest                              truffle vodka
   ** Textile plants
      ** cotton      any grassland, shrubland, savanna            thread, oil, soap
      ** flax         any grassland, shrubland, savanna            thread, oil, soap
      ** hemp         tropical grassland, shrubland, savanna         thread, oil, soap

I am moving slowly but at a steady pace; once the basis for the world is done it will be easy to get on with my planned reactions and research.

Added some variety to the wildlife: gators, flamegators and good'ol tortoises (for your uncle's wallet; gotta have those reptile scales if you wish to have respect).

Also a new race, "crooked men". They are closer to ghouls of Fallout than "ghouls" here.
The "ghouls" are more like "feral ghouls" from Fallout universe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:48:52 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just dropping my ptw here.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Crooked men:

Not all of the tainted men are twisted beyond salvation. Some of them managed to keep their humanity and organize into big communities. It’s almost like nothing has changed for them: they are still sometimes cruel, sometimes forgiving, sometimes clever, sometimes stupid humans as they used to be before the fall. Other surviving races don’t like their company though. There's a myth that they sold their soul to outworlders. Thus crooked men dwell in abandoned cities, not fearing the Taint and slowly rebuilding what they once lost.

Common weapons: cane, cudgel, side-sword, sailor's dirk, hand-crossbow, port hammer
Common "shields": shine-box, umbrella, lantern, candlestick, clarinet, violin, hand-organ
Common armor: top-helmet, studdet jacket, heeled boots, chain trousers.

Metal of choice: stygian brass
Adventurous, not aging, industrious, cunning.
Soulless
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:05:18 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

So I've decided to go with "generic" types of leather again. It will make item names much shorter, better fitting into inventory (no more shortening/clipping).
On the bright side, there are 7 types of leather clothing now: fur, suede, leather, hide, scale, chitin, dragonscale.
They all got increased cost and differ in utility. While fur and suede are just a basis for clothing, hide can provide protection and chitin is a nice armor:

For those who like difference in materials and may be a bit sad that both cats and bats now net "fur", here's some hope: different types of meats cost different value even within the same creature; they also got a bit more flavourful name rather than "prepared X":
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I approve of this. In fact, I had a similar idea, although swapping post-apocalyptic for more straight-up science-fiction. Never went anywhere though. Looking forward to seeing what you create.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9