Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Most EPIC HFS fight ever!  (Read 9792 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Most EPIC HFS fight ever!
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:58 pm »

So I had a 10 year fort that I was bored with. So I decided to release the circus. The clowns were in a 3-tile wide hallway blocked by an adamantine bridge. The hallway led into my magma forge room and metal stockpile.

Every able-bodied dwarf was armed and armored and sent into the magma forge room to prepare for the battle to come. They had confidence in their victory because they were led by none other than Ustuth Eturtashem, the legendary captain of the guard renown throughout the land. He Defeated many a goblin siege all by himself and even punched the head of a forgotten beast clean off! Their second-in-command was Sazir Mistemtost, the militia captain responsible for the death of 2 hydras and a fearsome dragon. Under their leadership, even the fresh recruits were self-assured and ready for the fearsome foes behind that beautiful bridge.

With a voice that seemed to come from Armok himself, the order to pull the lever was issued. Ustuth began to get a crazed look in his eyes, but he held steady. Iteb Onullorbam, the only child in the fortress reached up and heaved the lever down and the gears in the bridge began clinking. Ustuth began to look more unworldly in his appearance, but the renewed hissing and screeching from behind the bridge held everyone's attention. Finally, just as the bridge was about to be released, Ustuth, in his fey mood, dropped his sword and shield, and to the group's disbelief, took over a nearby magma forge. The army was in shock, but their shock turned into despair when they saw the hoard of up from 150 terrifying demons bearing down upon them. With no time to lose, Sazir, the militia Captain let out a loud war cry and led the charge into the fiends. The ensuing battle between the dwarves and the demons quickly turned into chaos as two colliding charges morphed into countless skirmished. The chaos was only increased by the presence of a lone dwarf running throughout the battlefield to fetch bits of metal while dodging blasts of fire, ash, dust, and poison. At first, the demons seemed to be overcome by the sheer numbers of dwarves, but the inexperience of many of the dwarves began to take its toll as rookie after rookie died to attacks that trained warriors would find easy to block.

After a few more minutes of chaotic fighting, when about 50 dwarves were pushed back by the 75 remaining demons, Ustuth finished his collecting and began to work furiously on the metal. Although the demons now had the strength in numbers, the remaining dwarves were all battle-hardened and sufficiently trained to take on the demons. Still, dwarf after dwarf fell. Pretty soon, all that was left of the once massive dwarven army were two elite squads who had decades worth of training between them, and their leader, Sazir, kept their morale up as he killed hoards of demons. Still, the waves of hell were beating down on the now battle-weary soldiers and many demons, and dwarves died. Once the battle was thinned to about 5 superelites and their enemy numbered around 30, the battle appeared lost as Sazir was eviscerated by the claws of a fire demon. But even so, the few dwarves fought valiantly and managed to kill a score of demons before they too fell. As the remaining demons savored their victory, they were caught off-guard by the shout of Ustuth, and dumbstruck by the relic that he now wielded.

Slung on his arm, was Crowdsilenced the gate of death, a truly epic adamantine shield with steel spikes, bronze chains, platinum rings, and countless engravings of dwarves and demons killing each other.Wielding nothing but his shield, Ustuth charged into the midst of the decade of hellspawn with an all-consuming battle-rage, he bashed, bludgeoned, bit, beat, and battered the demons to death. Only after he slayed the last of the fiends did he slowly crumple to the ground, and fall victim to the many wounds he received. Horrified by the specticle, Iteb, the child who watched his whole family and friends die, spent the following year burying the remains of the lifeblood of the once epic fortress, hellbreach.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:35:48 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Most EPIC HFS fight ever!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:39:53 pm »

So I'm assuming you won?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:41:02 pm »

did you read the whole thing?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:25 pm »

Yes. That could be from hell retreating though. After doing something similar, the last twenty demons just went back home.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:43:54 pm »

No, all of the demons were killed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:48:07 pm »

Good job!

There are a few things you could've done differently though. You didn't need to use an adamantine bridge, for one. That could've been put into arming everyone. You could've put some iron or steel spike traps on repeat before the bridge, thin out the numbers. A few lines of walls around the battlefield could've made dust and breath attacks less deadly. A bit of time to spar would've made everyone more competent. Animals could've been used as meat shields.

But still, bravo! You beat hell. I'd say seal off hell and rebuild your fortress, better than before.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:54:24 pm »

That was kind of amazing. Mostly the last part, though. Everything else was to be expected.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:25:35 pm »

It is kind of hard to believe that this all happened in a game.

jhharvest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:29:26 pm »

Paragraph breaks are your friend.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:42:51 am »

It is kind of hard to believe that this all happened in a game.

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!!

*kicks some annoying emissary down the well*
hamster cheese supplies are low

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 03:09:17 am »

Spiky shield? Is that a new feature?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:49 am »

Lots of artifacts are spiky.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 03:18:37 am »

I got a steel spiked leather thong.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 03:23:57 am »

That is really cool. But I guess those are just decorations, or do they really hurt the target?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 03:43:16 am »

Good job!

There are a few things you could've done differently though. You didn't need to use an adamantine bridge, for one. That could've been put into arming everyone. You could've put some iron or steel spike traps on repeat before the bridge, thin out the numbers. A few lines of walls around the battlefield could've made dust and breath attacks less deadly. A bit of time to spar would've made everyone more competent. Animals could've been used as meat shields.

But still, bravo! You beat hell. I'd say seal off hell and rebuild your fortress, better than before.

I feel like you missed the part where epic artifact crafting happened mid-demonbattle. This certainly wasn't a post asking for advice, but instead your awe and recognition!

I like to imagine Ustuth looking up from his anvil at the chaotic violence, then hunkering back down and scribbling what he saw all over the shield.
Pages: [1] 2 3