Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sorry for the delay  (Read 5455 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry for the delay
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 06:14:23 am »

I am deeply amazed at the shotgun dwarf. We need a fps based on that.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 02:21:55 pm »

The main reason I played Masterwork was the fps reduction. Sadly, I can only play in older laptops. If the alpha .5 updates the mod to .24 main branch then I'm totally game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 05:44:24 pm »

I really thought over the possibility of me trying to update this and... yeah, personally I wanna do it. On more of a "what annoys me" level, the boots of Masterwork inadvertently stomping all the ants that are other mods doesn't annoy me nearly as much as people not playing 0.40 because they think Masterwork is better.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 01:57:00 am »

I really thought over the possibility of me trying to update this and... yeah, personally I wanna do it. On more of a "what annoys me" level, the boots of Masterwork inadvertently stomping all the ants that are other mods doesn't annoy me nearly as much as people not playing 0.40 because they think Masterwork is better.
That sounds somewhat negative, but you can give it a try. ;)

I can upload the current dev version, it has a few changes to what exists atm... I'm in a restaurant atm, laptop will soon be dead, after that it's 2 nights camping and 1 day on a ferry, so either it's now, or it will take some time, till I arrive in Seoul.

For the things you can try your hands on:
Please note changes in vanilla files. like "CHANGED BY PUTNAM: Added X, Y and Z" I did the same thing for all changes in the original files.

It would be great if you can add the new enemies: Entity files with fitting creatures.
Nightcreatures, Werebeasts, Titans, Vampires. All four based on the procedually generated raws extraced from a compressed save. My idea was to take one procedual entry per Military skill, for example Werewolf, Werepanther, Weremammoth, etc, and give each NATURAL_SKILL:AXE:1, and NATURAL_SKILL:SWORD:1, with each caste getting a different weapon skill. That way the invaders arrive with the specific military profession and each caste can have caste-specific graphics.

- Nightcreatures would be high-end kobolds, being snatchers and skulking. (anything from night hags, shade trolls, boogeymen, etc)

- Werebeasts medium-strength invaders, snatchers, ambushers. (any werebeast, but no transformations. I want to avoid them attacking, transforming and dropping all their gear before fleeing. They can inflict their transformation-syndrome by bites, but otherwise these creatures ARE actually werecreatures, not just the transformed state of a normal dwarf, human, etc.)

- Vampires high-strength invaders. (take normal dwarves, human, elves... etc as base-creature. Dwarf caste gets hammer skill, humans axe skill, elves bow skill, etc, same idea with the graphical seperation of invader military professions/castes. You can add as many as you like, goblins, orcs, kobolds...).

- Titans high-end invaders. (Again, procedually generated titans, just that these come with armor and weapons and military skills)

- Nagas (snake-people, natural poison, amphibious) as early-invaders.

- Orcs (smakes orcs, just as a non-playable invader race as a placeholder) as medium-strength invaders.

- Necromancers (replacing Warlocks) as NO_AGING invaders that raise the dead. Placeholder till I write the playable Necromancer race again.

I can write up the correct tags for the GUI for you, I already got the GUI setup for these additions. In the meantime I can work on the Hermit a bit, that shouldnt take long to port it. :)

Edit: Mh, Dropbox is blocked in China and my VPN has problems connecting it. I cant upload my latest changes... but you can set up a Github and start, if you want. I probably wont be online the next couple of days, but I hope we can discuss this some more. :) I hope the ideas above are clear enough, it's relatively simple stuff... but I know people asked about more invaders, so I wanted to add those next. DF2014 seems a bit less prone to sieges as the game was before.

Writing new creatures and entity files doesnt influence the original files either, so it's quite easy to update without affecting any vanilla files or files that the GUI changes.

PS: I'm really glad you offered the help and I'm happy to accept it. :)

PPS: For graphics Obsidian Soul, EvictedSaint and DragondePlatino offered help. I can also do those, although I wanted to have a 32x spriteset in the future, and these guys are much better than me. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 02:05:44 am »

Wait, you're saying the literal TITAN_1 etc. creatures or castes in a new creature with raws copied from proper titans?

EDIT: why am i even asking both are exactly as easy to do, assuming the former ain't impossible

EDIT 2: Also, is the GUI's source anywhere? I'd much rather not have any stray binaries hanging around. I'll also avoid including any .exes or .dlls if I can avoid them, only stuff that isn't included in vanilla DF/DFHack. Might want some setting stuff out of the way, too, like images. This is all so it'll be easier to get the latest raws without having to go through 70+ MB downloads, and any proper releases will be merged with the images, exes etc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:07:24 am by Putnam »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:39 am »

Ok, ignore what I said about my internet, I'm in a hotel now.

So, yes, since I wanted to make the new MDF closer to vanilla DF, I was thinking of using the EXACT procedual creatures from vanilla DF as sieging invaders. That way people see more of them, it ramps up the difficulty, but still has a strong DF feel to it. Bonus points for it being easy to make.

The GUI source for the GUI used in 6.2 is here: https://github.com/splintermind/masterwork-dwarf-fortress/tree/gold/Settings%20Source I dont know if the source for the one in the alpha is online, but it's pretty much exactly the same, except for some deleted buttons/tabs. I have not started with the new tags yet, but Splinterz set the GUI up for the new entities already. Which are:

Code: [Select]
          " NO_ITEMTHIEF_MDF_WEREBEASTS!
          "!NO_ITEMTHIEF_VAMPIRE!
          "!NO_ITEMTHIEF_NIGHTCREATURE!
          "!NO_ITEMTHIEF_TITANS!
          "!NO_ITEMTHIEF_NECROMANCERS!

I can easily set up some dummy entity files with all lines that the GUI affects. I can do that today, no problem.

Not sure what you are saying about not having binaries, dlls, images, etc around...

PS: China sucks.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 04:29:10 am »

I had a way around chinaternet using freevpnworld, it was very crappy but I helped me access my mail again. (then I called back my ISP's box at home to activate a private VPN :P )

I'm also interested to see files containing the flags, it could be easily put next to the gaits doc. I don't remember if the difficulty modifiers will still be in for example
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:32:44 am by Boltgun »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:05 am »

Not sure what you are saying about not having binaries, dlls, images, etc around...

Meh, I'm not gonna bother. It's not that big a deal.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 05:24:18 am »

Boltgun: I have a VPN. China is just bad because I got kicked out of 6 hotels today for being a foreigner. Ended up in a pricy one that allows non-chinese guests.  :-\

Putnam: I'll write something today and upload it either this evening or tomorrow before I checkout. Now is the time for questions, because the 2 days after that I'll be offline. Anything specific you want to do? Need to know?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 05:56:02 am »

Can't think of anything. It's 4:00 AM here, so maybe that's to do with it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:33 am »

In that case, get some sleep and I'll prepare what I can think off, upload it and write you some notes. And maybe clean up the board a bit. ^^

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 06:35:30 am »

Boltgun: I have a VPN. China is just bad because I got kicked out of 6 hotels today for being a foreigner. Ended up in a pricy one that allows non-chinese guests.  :-\

Woah, that's bad. I tend to forget how troublesome it can be after living in Shanghaï.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 06:47:13 am »

Beijing was fine, but outside of the large cities it's pretty weird. Especially if you cant speak Mandarin.

Anyway, day after tomorrow I should be on a ferry/ship-thing to South Korea. Till then I'm doing some DF. :)

Boltgun, you wanted something about the GUI tags? Not sure what exactly, they stayed the same for all things succubus related. There are no new tags yet.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 10:15:46 am »

Alright, I brought over all the tags from the 0.34 days so it should adjust according to the gui then.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:41 am »

Alright, I brought over all the tags from the 0.34 days so it should adjust according to the gui then.
Yes it does. I did test that, otherwise I would have said something. The GUI works fine with both Gnomes and Succubi.

It's the humans, kobolds, warlocks and the hermit that is missing. ^^

EDIT: I'm closing this, please continue the discussion about Masterwork Reborn here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147324.0
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:35:06 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 2 [3]