Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switch the forum over to HTTPS  (Read 582 times)

txtsd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I have a quest!
Switch the forum over to HTTPS
« on: September 19, 2020, 05:33:50 am »

bay12games.com is already set up with a modern TLS config and has a good A rating on SSLLabs.

There's no reason for the forum to be running over insecure http anymore.
SMF has supported HTTPS since version 2.0.14 which was released in early 2017. The forum is running 2.0.13 at the moment.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Switch the forum over to HTTPS
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 05:49:27 pm »

Looks like Toady intended to after the 0.44.01 release, but then forgot about it or it was too much hassle.

From the Toad:

Quote from: nenjin on October 25, 2017 at 08:03:05 am

The last few years browsers have started more aggressively notifying you when the connection is insecure.

I spend a lot of time on these forums and I know others do as well. Is there anyway we could get the forum running on HTTPS? I think it'd make a lot of us feel safer browsing on the forums.

Thanks!

Yeah, we've been looking at that, but it's a mess.  Once the next release is up and stabilized, we might take some time with it, since it'll be a long process -- we also have to upgrade other aspects of the server to get the next SMF patch to work.

According to people that have looked at what's being sent back and forth, I'd recommend making sure you don't use your username/password combination elsewhere if you are using the forum on coffee shop wifi or something.

You could try reminding him in the FotF thread (which he'll read at the end of the month,) or email him at toadyone@bay12games.com. He might not have time to upgrade until after the Steam release, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:53:08 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

txtsd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I have a quest!
Re: Switch the forum over to HTTPS
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 08:39:15 pm »

Thanks. I'll do that!