Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Open Invite to all - Restarting Masterwork  (Read 7247 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Open Invite to all - Restarting Masterwork
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:25:06 pm »

Hey guys, I'm starting Masterwork from scratch.

If there are any modders that want to join the team (currently Meph (most stuff), Boltgun (Succubi/scripts), Smakemupagus (Orcs/general support), IndigoFenix (Gnomes/scripts) and (sometimes) Splinterz (GUI)) the time is now.

I will make the mod cleaner, smaller, properly tested, lore-friendly and with less randomness. It will keep the utilities, tilesets, GUI/launcher and multiple playable races as main feature.

I will try to make it downgradeable to vanilla DF, if you disable everything in the GUI, you get the normal DF.

Now it's your turn. If you are a modder and want your mod as an optional feature in Masterwork, let me know. If you want to write some content, let me know. If you want to write a major core feature, like the Orcs/Succubi/Gnomes, again, let me know. Same goes for tileset/sprite artists, coders, dfhack scripters, html/css for the manual, designers for graphics/logos and so forth.

If you are neither, your suggestions are still welcome, as always. :)

Cheers,
Meph
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Open Invite to all - Restarting Masterwork
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:05:56 pm »

I am quite short on time for now, you can probably see by the speed of my mods which I develop, but I want to join in with:
1) Tiles for creatures.
2) Monster designs.

I don't have a major feature in mind right now (by which you mean a total conversion as another race so far), but I love the idea of what you plan and I am ready to jump on the wagon :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:18:32 pm »

I am currently in the process of trying to expand my coding experience through a variety of projects. It is probably useless to present myself as such but if possible I would love to do some sort of intern/stand in coder position. I need the experience and I need the learning experience that comes with it. I don't have a large variety of projects under my belt and I am trying to get stuff started. Let me know if you have any use for me!

I am also willing to work on standard modding but would only want to do so in a limited capacity. I am spending my free time on coding right now and want to focus on that specifically.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39:02 pm »

Deon, you are of course always welcome. :) But I know that you are busy with your post-apoc/steampunky/magic mod, but we can chat when I come by St-Petersburg in a month. :)

dennislp3, I can't code myself. I can only mod, so if you are looking for someone to teach you coding, you might want to talk to someone else. What language do you intend to use? Lua? C++? Python?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 02:43:01 pm »

I'd love to help any way that I can (well, aside from doing my best to make wasp mode a thing). I can't code, unfortunately, (though i'd love to learn how to code) but I can make graphic tiles, help with testing and bugfixing and work on the raws.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:45:00 pm by than402 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:43:31 pm »

Teaching would be an excellent bonus; When I referenced "intern" I was primarily meaning if a more experienced coder latches on and could throw me some help/knowledge/tips etc while I work on whatever...but I am more than capable of coding and learning on my own. So that isn't necessarily an issue. I would be looking more for an on call position where you say "Hey can you code this?" and I can try and make it happen in a timely manner.

My main focus is with C#, I have some minor C++ experience as well as some experience in Python
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:46:01 pm by dennislp3 »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:03 pm »

My color schemes are still open.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »

Given the rather... subdued response I doubt very many will be interested, but if you want to use (parts of) my historic arms & armor mod, your welcome to it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146737.0

It's going to have a few minor fixes and modifications soon, maybe a glossary if I can be bothered, but beside that it's going to be the last version that will be balanced to the stock game (material wise). Any further modding I'm planning involves altering the stock materials and will be completely incompatible with mods that add new weapon/armor metals and cloth materials or modify the stock ones.

I also have a pretty much finished historic metallurgy mod, but again, heavily modifies stock raws and this one in particular will not mesh well at all with any fantasy materials.

EDIT: If there is anything specific you need help with I wouldn't mind pitching in, provided it's raw modding, balancing or testing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:07:21 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:26:13 pm »

Thanks guys. :)

If I find anything that has already been written, I will contact the author and ask if I can use it. It is not so much a question of what I want, but what you want. For example Grimlocke, you dont have to offer me "you can use my mod", but you can say "Meph, put my mod into it." Then I will look into it, and if its possible to merge it, I will.

If it alters already existing vanilla files, it will be more difficult, but if you have new content that you want in Masterwork, I can add it. :)

On the other hand, I could really use some well-working blackpoweder firearms. Musket and Pistol. The ones I have are outdated and sometimes dont even puncture skin/muscles of animals, because the bullets are so small and have no mass/force.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 07:16:48 pm »

This experimental handcannon makes a proper mess of armoured targets as long as you don't try to use lead bullets:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAND_CANNON]
[NAME:hand cannon:hand cannons]
[SIZE:260]
[SKILL:MACE]
[RANGED:NONE:BULLET]
[SHOOT_FORCE:2500]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:2000]
[TWO_HANDED:250000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:12000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:40:0:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]50
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:4]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:80:0:bash:bashes:shaft:2400]30
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:2]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:40:0:strike:strikes:butt:1600]40
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:5:1]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET]
[NAME:bullet:bullets]
[CLASS:BULLET]
[SIZE:35]
[ATTACK:EDGE:30:1000:do something stupid:does something stupid:NO_SUB:40]

Very small projectiles seem to get rounded down to bugger all at some point, setting these bullets to weight 10 made them pretty much inert. This annoyingly still puts the bullets at about 250 grams each when made from iron, but at least its doesn't reduce the user to a crawl when carrying a bag full. The large contact area and low penetration is to simulate lead balls fragmenting on impact with a body. Also don't mind the weird skill tag. I tried to see if that can work to make a weapon terminally inaccurate and slow, which works, but has nasty side effects like entities messing up ammo assignment and bullets somehow being really easy to dodge.

And since you asked, Meph, put my mod in Masterwork :)

Or well try to. It's still a replacement mod for the vanilla weapons, armor and clothing so it might cause some trouble in its current form.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:21 pm »

I will have a look at your mod for sure, a big part of Orc Fortress in Masterwork is playing around with different weapon types and I'll definitely look at your collection as a reference point.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:30:33 pm »

Feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear, the mod is rather lacking in documentation as it is now and the balancing I used it quite different from the stock one.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:16 pm »

I'm currently working on a Graphics set, which I intend to have a TWBT Masterwork version of when it's complete.  Should I wait for this new version to be complete, or is it still a long ways off?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:38 pm »

What kind of graphics set?  A tileset, or override sprites for Twbt/creatures?

You can work on it, there is no reason to wait on me. The new Masterwork is not one update that magically appears, its restarting a new mod from nothing.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 12:31:30 pm »

Not sure if it will be useful for you, but I am going to release my collection of spells (all made for the registration system) sometime in the somewhat near future. I currently have 60/300 done. Some of the planned ones need not yet written scripts though so it has slowed me down a little, but most are just time commitment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4