Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Open Invite to all - Restarting Masterwork  (Read 7245 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Open Invite to all - Restarting Masterwork
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 07:02:19 pm »

Yes.

Good: Dwarves, Humans, Elves, Gnomes.
Savage: Kobolds, Werebeasts, Naga(Snake-People), Titans.
Slaver: Goblins, Orcs, Succubi.
Evil: Necromancer, Nightcreatures, Vampires.

Plus a couple of underground tribes, which dont have many sprites, they have only military sprites.

Vampires would be any of the humaniod races (I guess), I'd probably color-code the normal sprites. Or, if you have a good idea, make a unique style for them... (Edit: Or they get a mix of races. Goblin vampire lasher, dwarf vampire hammer man, human vampire pike man, elf vampire bowman, etc)

Werebeasts would be a wild mix of creatures, so they probably get 1 different creature type per military skill. They also get military sprites only, they will not be playable. No workers, etc.

Same for nightcreatures. Wild mix of monsters, one type for each military skill. No workers.

Titans as well. No workers, but different creatures based on military skill.

Necromancers sprites will be a mix of necromancers, skeletons and zombies.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:08:38 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »

Awesome! There's nothing too weird here, so all of the profession graphics I've draw so far would be compatible with these races. That means that once you rerelease Masterwork DF, I'll be able to draw all of the vanilla professions for these races very quickly. The custom professions, though, would take some time.

Military sprites for all of the underground animalmen would be very doable. I could create 23 tribal military outfits, then apply them to the animalmen I already have (which fit the humanoid template I've been using).

The only difficulty I could see here would be the vampires. There are 198 vanilla profession graphics, so for every race the vampires can convert that's another 198 sprites. If vampires could convert all of the good, savage and slaver races, that would bring the possible profession graphics of vampires to 2178 graphics (yikes!). So yeah, as far as vampires go I think it would be best if they all used one generic sprite for all of the different converted races. Possibly, I might draw the vampires as a Vivi-like hooded race so the player can "imagine" the converted race underneath the hood.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:38:51 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 04:55:54 am »

First of all the new Masterwork is already released. ;) You can have a look at it if you like.

There will be no custom professions this time. Skills/Professions are vanilla and will stay like this, I don't want to patch the .exe every time I update.

Vampires are a hostile race, not playable. Maybe in the far distant future they might become a proper playable race, but at the moment they are only planned as invaders. I just have to decide if they get different creatures for the entire civ (civ of elf vampires, civ of dwarf vampires, etc), or if they get a wild mix of creatures (elf archer vampires fighting alongside dwarf hammer vampire).

One way or another, they shouldnt be much work. Either its one set of military sprites with different creatures, or it's one set copy/pasted/colored-corrected per base-race.

Hooded figures I'd reserve for my poor necromancers. :D
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 02:44:02 am »

I think it would be simpler if Meph made a list of things he needed sprite sheets for (like maybe a thread on the MW board), explained what he wanted for each, and then either let people work away at that list at their own disgression, or delegated sections to people who volunteered.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 06:24:36 pm »

Usually I do that stuff myself. :D I already asked ObsidianSoul, but he has other stuff to finish first, and DragonDePlatinos style is very ... friendly. It will make a great alternative set for people that like Spacefox or Jolly Bastion, but by default I want to stay closer to Obsidian or Phoebus, something that looks more realistic.

But I can make a thread about it. I dont know if anyone actually does anything though... in the past these threads where ghosttowns more than anything else.

twryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 10:32:35 pm »

I've never done DF modding before, but I've been looking into restarting LFR since its death. I've a software background so I'm not useless, and in particular would love to help incorporate LFR into Masterwork if you think it worthwhile.
Otherwise, I'd love to help out, and can debug/test where needed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 01:03:59 am »

Merging LFR into Masterwork is not a small task. Are you sure that Narhiril is not active anymore? I mean, yeah, now that you mention it, I havent seen her around...

Not sure how to best do this, but please ask her first what she thinks about it.

If you want to test things, there is a released Masterwork 40.x version with Dwarves ready to be played. :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 02:47:59 pm »

incorporate LFR into Masterwork if you think it worthwhile.

This sounds like something to do for yourself if you think the crazy cross-genre multi-universe mashup would be fun, but not for public release unless you get approval from narhiril and Meph.  Even if it works somehow, the result would be something very different than Masterwork.  The world of LFR is really narharil's creation and we shouldn't take from it things that make it distinctive (obviously, i hope.)

Updating 'straight' LFR to 0.40.x is a bit of a different, that is of course a worthy goal, but personally I would have second thoughts about it.  If you want to do it and still call it anything like LFR, you should try to adhere as strictly as possible to narhiril's original game.  If you want to be inspired by it but add your own creativity then you should make a break from the elements unique to her lore and build something new.

If you have an idea for one or two ideas of things that another mod does really well, that Meph can learn something from to improve MDF, that's a different story entirely.  I really like how narhiril plays around with weapons for different body size creatures and produce unusual kinetic effects, and her combination of a tech tree with steady progress and some rare 'easter eggs' mixed in too, and you can see some of that kind of flavor in Masterwork's Orc Fortress mode.  But by and large it's the inspiration, not the exact features, that comes directly from LFR.  An exception is the orc artisans' signature damascene daikatana which actually has its origin in LFR, from which Meph borrowed an exotic weapons list long ago, although the methods and materials that the orcs use to craft it are legacy from early versions of MDF.  There's nothing simple about merging even a small feature between two totally different worlds with so disparate gameplay and so different "under the hood" too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:45:50 pm by smakemupagus »

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 06:47:03 pm »

I'd actually be quite interested in doing the Titans or the Kobolds.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 07:17:45 am »

To simulate the random nature of night creatures, might I suggest having multiple sets of creature raws for them? When a bunch of different creatures are inserted into an entity, siad entity will pick one of the creatures at random when placing down the civ.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »

my mod attempts are made of fail. but my ideas are made of concentrated awesome, and menace with spikes of fire, and hanging rings of darkness.

need ideas?

first off. I think you should remove the vermin part from fire snakes so they are treated as normally animals then add [pet_excotic]
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2015, 06:31:47 pm »

The idea->mod process is hilariously simple in DF, so get started with that

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2015, 07:33:51 pm »

Black Powder Firearms just hit v1.0; all that's left to do is implement flint strikers and fine-tune the numbers for buckshot and birdshot, then I'm just waiting for custom siege weapons and non-hardcoded rates of fire.

For those not aware, BPFA is yet another gun mod for DF, but this one tries to replicate some of the logistical complexities of gunpowder warfare -and balance the guns a bit- by making ammunition a finite and precious resource. Gunpowder needs large amounts of sulphur and saltpetre or potash, guns need steel 'firelock' items and cartridges need three reagents to create.

But if you're willing to put up with the headaches of making them, the basic musket can reliably stop any humanoid enemy with the first hit to the torso.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]