Poll

What do you want next?

More enemies! - Civs & Creatures.
More items! - Weapons & Armors.
A manual! - Doesn't exist atm.
Kobolds - Hard mode, no digging.
Necromancers - Playable successor to the warlocks
Nagas - Water-based race. All new.
Hermit - Superhard mode, single person civ.
Humans - Traders & Guilds.
More GUI Options - Add optional stuff, like complete other mods!
Something else - Please post your suggestion.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Reborn☼ - Discussion & POLL! Please vote.  (Read 115043 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork Reborn☼ - Discussion & POLL! Please vote.
« Reply #375 on: May 02, 2015, 03:23:07 am »

Suggestion: Add "Rock cloth" to either the base game or the dwarves specifically. It'd almost definitely be a niche material but with all the extra material options for other crafts besides clothing, I don't see why asbestos would stick out as unusual. Even if it did, fire-proof clothing made from rocks seems like an even better thematic fit for dwarves than plant fibers confiscated from the elves.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Spleenling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 15, 2015, 04:43:41 pm »

I don't know if this has been suggested but playable Drow?

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 16, 2015, 05:35:05 pm »

Almost every race feasible has been suggested, the reason they don't exist is simple:

#1 How would you make them unique as a race within the confines of what is possible in the game right now.

#2 Who will do it?

I myself really wish we could have cave-dwelling races to play on, but the game to my knowledge, cannot do this no matter what at current, and Drows by nature live in the caves and under earth. So that right there, rather hamstrings them, sadly.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 16, 2015, 05:59:56 pm »

I might make Drow this time around. Again. Meh.

I have plenty ideas for weird-ass DFHack systems.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 17, 2015, 01:54:12 am »

It has been discussed before, and the Drow (not playable, though) are even included in the 6.2 version of Masterwork.
Unfortunately, the Reborn version of Masterwork is under process of heavy, let's call it - "vanillisation". And by that I mean adjusting every game aspect to fit in the Dwarf Fortress lore. The Drow are part of DnD, not DF, and thus do not fit in the lore at all.

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 22, 2015, 11:04:53 pm »

It has been discussed before, and the Drow (not playable, though) are even included in the 6.2 version of Masterwork.
Unfortunately, the Reborn version of Masterwork is under process of heavy, let's call it - "vanillisation". And by that I mean adjusting every game aspect to fit in the Dwarf Fortress lore. The Drow are part of DnD, not DF, and thus do not fit in the lore at all.
But succubus and gnomes and orcs are not part of DF lore either! and Hivewasps are completely different! so why would drow specifically need the cut when this game will probably never fit DF lore to begin with.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 22, 2015, 11:15:41 pm »

drow are the dnd race equivalent of coldsteel the hedgehog and any chance of not including them is fine by me

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 22, 2015, 11:23:14 pm »

But succubus and gnomes and orcs are not part of DF lore either! and Hivewasps are completely different! so why would drow specifically need the cut when this game will probably never fit DF lore to begin with.

Because they're extraneous evil cave elves for all intents and purposes when there's developed and playable races to take thier place (orcs spring to mind.) They offer nothing that your civ can't get on its own in some fashion.

While the other races don't fit whatever the hell is considered "lore" for something like Dwarf Fortress, they're fleshed out and playable as well as optional, and cover all the bases. Drow meanwhile are just an additional trade partner/enemy with zero playability and explicitly drawn from a separate IP (while the rest were either independent, though drawing on stereotypes, or in the case of kobolds and even the dorfs themselves, simply adapted from existing content in the game already.)

I'm all for keeping them on as a Fort Defense- type Race, just to add decently equipped not-bigger-than-a-dwarf things to potentially fight, but otherwise they simply don't fit with the other races, and in my opinion, never really "fit' the mod in general.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 23, 2015, 02:29:45 am »

Non DF lore races use space better used by another modder to make his own content.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #384 on: June 23, 2015, 05:07:53 am »

DF doesn't even have 'lore'. Its lore is created from scratch every new world.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:26 am »

DF doesn't even have 'lore'. Its lore is created from scratch every new world.

The only consistency I'm aware of is that mortals (dwarves, humans, etc.) Don't worship Armok (and probably don't even know he exists.) Gods however, do since he's the "all-maker" in a manner of speaking and thus can destroy gods at will along with thier worlds during the process of reforging them, in addition to his standing as god of all things dorfy - even if dwarves aren't aware of him. And I don't even know where I read that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #386 on: June 23, 2015, 06:22:25 am »

Unless something has changed I don't even think Armok is represented in any way ingame.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:40 am »

He isn't. But that was just the explanation I recall.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #388 on: June 23, 2015, 07:24:18 am »

My point was that most of the stuff we attribute to the game as lore, like deadly carp or Armok himself, are just things we thought up or drew from popular stories. The game itself invents its own lore.

So a race being "lore friendly" is not (imo) a valid reason for being included or excluded. Now the point that was made about it being silly and/or redundant, that definitely applies to drow. Generic elf subtype #212 cave elves aka drow with a streak of teenage angst a mile long. Why not include every D&D elf race? There are approximately infinity of them and none of them are that interesting compared to the badass tree worshipping cannibal elves we have in DF who charge at fully armed dwarves while riding unicorns and armed with wooden swords. At least they have spirit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #389 on: June 23, 2015, 07:26:23 am »

If drows make a comeback, than as an elven caste, if at all. Or I different elf creatures for the same civ: forest elf, high elf, dark elf, etc.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30