Poll

What do you want next?

More enemies! - Civs & Creatures.
More items! - Weapons & Armors.
A manual! - Doesn't exist atm.
Kobolds - Hard mode, no digging.
Necromancers - Playable successor to the warlocks
Nagas - Water-based race. All new.
Hermit - Superhard mode, single person civ.
Humans - Traders & Guilds.
More GUI Options - Add optional stuff, like complete other mods!
Something else - Please post your suggestion.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Reborn☼ - Discussion & POLL! Please vote.  (Read 115052 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork Reborn☼ - Discussion & POLL! Please vote.
« Reply #390 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:45 am »

Just my 2 cents on the lore thing. I think it'd be rather hard to argue against Armok having a central role in the game, since his name is right there on the title screen and not just limited to the forums like "Urist McWhatever".
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #391 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:00 am »

Just my 2 cents on the lore thing. I think it'd be rather hard to argue against Armok having a central role in the game, since his name is right there on the title screen and not just limited to the forums like "Urist McWhatever".
I wasn't making any such argument, just pointing out that he is not referenced anywhere in the game's legends or lore.

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 23, 2015, 10:25:06 am »

If drows make a comeback, than as an elven caste, if at all. Or I different elf creatures for the same civ: forest elf, high elf, dark elf, etc.
Please make them separate civs.
Don't waste the possible variation of mary sues elves i.e. Our Elves Are Better.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:26:44 am by jason0320 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #393 on: June 23, 2015, 11:40:57 am »

If drows make a comeback, than as an elven caste, if at all. Or I different elf creatures for the same civ: forest elf, high elf, dark elf, etc.
Please make them separate civs.
Don't waste the possible variation of mary sues elves i.e. Our Elves Are Better.
Why?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

Why do we need more elves at all, when we could have something interesting and original?

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2015, 12:08:58 pm »

Why do we need more elves at all, when we could have something interesting and original?

Emo-elves from DnD aren't original at all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #396 on: June 23, 2015, 12:28:21 pm »

Emo-elves from DnD aren't original at all.
That's why I'm asking why we need them in this mod...

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2015, 12:43:00 pm »

I really don't see a niche for the Drow to occupy that isn't currently occupied by Necromancers (soul eating, sorcery), Succubus (demon worshiping, underground living) and Orcs (underground living, raiding). Evil elves, you say? Have you seen how evil Vanilla elves already are?

I am personally content and having them around as NPC traders at most. The mod seems to be going trough a big process of streamlining and characterization (with removal of most traders from various races to keep it as the humans' feature, to begin with), the last thing we really need now is a redundant race. I stand with Meph.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:47:30 pm by RodriguesSting »

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2015, 01:13:40 pm »

I really don't see a niche for the Drow to occupy that isn't currently occupied by Necromancers (soul eating, sorcery), Succubus (demon worshiping, underground living) and Orcs (underground living, raiding). Evil elves, you say? Have you seen how evil Vanilla elves already are?

I am personally content and having them around as NPC traders at most. The mod seems to be going trough a big process of streamlining and characterization (with removal of most traders from various races to keep it as the humans' feature, to begin with), the last thing we really need now is a redundant race. I stand with Meph.
Orcs live underground? i thought lore wise orcs lived in the wilderness? the image the lore and abilities always brings up to my head at least is just vikings.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:15:26 pm by kekkres »

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »

Well, the original, mythological orcs lived underground. They were pretty much dark elves, if I remember correctly.

Now, for the orcs of this mod, their identity isn't really settled yet. On the normal masterwork, they are a bit of everything from Warhammer to Warcraft. I believe they will be presented with a new concept on Reborn, something more homogeneous and streamlined.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »

Well, the original, mythological orcs lived underground. They were pretty much dark elves, if I remember correctly.

Now, for the orcs of this mod, their identity isn't really settled yet. On the normal masterwork, they are a bit of everything from Warhammer to Warcraft. I believe they will be presented with a new concept on Reborn, something more homogeneous and streamlined.

It partly plays on thier caste system and the story built around them. The following based on the manual and caste descriptions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While they could do with some streamlining and modifying many society arms kits, thier general feel already fits extremely well: a race that's only just getting back on its feet after possibly decades of getting thier shit pushed in by the peoples they used to be able to bully at will. They do fit more offensively-minded players though (thanks to skill rate and size bonuses,) and may need to have thier raiding dropped since it doesn't seem like it'd work right in the newer versions. Of course I'd support them trying to force others to see the world as they do now, making for an excellent snatcher race that has an actual reason to kidnap people -  raise them as orcs, so they may truly know the suffering the "civilized" peoples have inflicted upon them.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2015, 03:11:08 pm »

Never saw it like that. At first I thought it was just an overworked amalgam of concepts. It does sew all the previously perceived chaos together, certainly. I hope it stays like that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:15:17 pm by RodriguesSting »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 23, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »

Never saw it like that. At first I thought it was just an overworked amalgam of concepts. It does sew all the previously perceived chaos together, certainly. I hope it stays like that.

Once a premier power in the world by virtue of strength, magic, and industry, brought low by those they fought for land, wealth, and space as the enemy adapted and innovated faster than the traditionally-minded orcish clans could. Many subcultures brought together to rebuild and avenge, forced to regain thier strength wherever they can. That's the shorter version, and what I got from the manual.

Granted I might just be reading too much into things, as I am prone to doing, and maybe they were just an overworked mess. But they're a fun mess as they are. Kind of like having sex with a bowl of warmed up potato salad, if you get the (admittedly crude) reference.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 23, 2015, 11:01:54 pm »

Well, I think the Orcs' design principle is sufficiently tight (and yes Splint has it spot on, with a bit his own excellent prose on top).  I would submit that there are various new industry chains to discover that reward lots of various kinds of play, which i think is fun.  But who knows.  I'm certainly not a pro game designer.

Anyway don't hold your breath for simplifications and stuff -- that's Meph's deal ;)

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2015, 06:55:15 am »

Yeah after all this is MDF, not DnD or middle earth total convertion mod.
Maybe just extend goblin to a playable race, iirc there are not any notable goblin mod on the board?
And why all the elf hate? Here, 4chan and 1d4chan.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:16:13 am by jason0320 »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30