Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24 Released  (Read 106868 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24 Released
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2015, 08:19:41 pm »

Regarding the save compatibility and need to gen a new world: Wouldn't the world continue to generate new forms of art/music etc as history continues? Or is it confirmed that those sorts of things are defined at worldgen only?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:42 pm »

Toady checks the Future of the Fortress thread more regularly than this. You might want to ask it there, although I can't remember if it's already been answered (so check some of his responses first).

There was also a save corruption bug in 0.40.20 that Toady decided not to break compatibility for. One of the reasons Toady has stated for not wanting to break compatibility completely is the ability to test older bugged saves, so I doubt that he'd make an effort to keep the next version compatible but break compatibility immediately afterwards. DF does have a system in place to prevent loading saves from specific versions of DF - I believe it only checks whether a save's version number is in a specific range (Quietust would know better), but it could be changed to refuse to load saves from a version with a major corruption bug.

Yeah, but it's not like Toady just felt like breaking compatibility in most other instances where it happened, either.  It was just that adding a feature either changed the game in too fundamental a fashion, or else a bug had to be corrected in such a way that save compatibility had to be broken.  Save corruption bugs, for example, may require the way in which the saved data is encoded and read to be changed, and it may just be impossible to correct errors made in previous versions. 
The majority of bugs have been due to issues where the data is corrupted, not due to problems with the format itself. Even if that were the case, if 0.41.01 were able to load saves from 0.40.03+ but had a save corruption bug, that would only affect games saved from 0.41.01 - Toady could still allow 0.41.02 to load saves from prior versions except 0.41.01 if he values being able to do that (which it sounds like he does).
As I understand it, the chief reasons 0.34.02, 0.40.02 and 0.40.03 broke compatibility were that:
  • The damage done to saves saved in the prior version wasn't reversible
  • The only saves that were possible to load were from the prior version due to it having broken compatibility with the version before it (e.g. 0.40.02 could only load saves from 0.40.01, since 0.40.01 couldn't load saves from 0.34.11 and earlier, and the majority of 0.40.01 saves were corrupted beyond repair)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 06:35:46 am »

When's the next update coming?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2015, 01:04:40 am »

Patience is key.

No matter how tantalizing the next update appears to be, just take a deep breath and relax.
Be patient.

If you are like me though, without patience, just live in denial and find another drug to pass the time with until bearded midget scholars can construct vast libraries of knowledge amongst lava waterfalls and the death cries of chained up goblins in the dragon's den......

Now I want my fix : (

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2015, 05:09:59 am »

...amongst lava waterfalls and the death cries of chained up goblins in the dragon's den......

Right this way to the inn folks!
Yeah just board this minecart...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »

Will be happy to see it released, I suspect it will epically derail my Cataclysm binge, which might be ill-timed due to a need to add a tileset update.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2015, 08:41:00 am »

I thik Toady just likes dramatic pauses that last for ages
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2015, 01:48:52 pm »

And 25 days later, I still suspect the release of .40.25 will be ill-timed, as my aforementioned Cataclysm efforts have only gotten more intricate. Lately I've spent more time working on pull requests than playing the game.

I also hunger for the inevitable clusterfuck that will be updating my Adventurecraft mod to work with this.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »

it's almost surely not 0.40.25

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2015, 02:45:02 pm »

¿Que? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2015, 02:54:24 pm »

I'd guess 0.41.01 or 0.42.01

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2015, 03:02:19 pm »

Oh right. Seems like everyone's been calling it .40.25 at least. Any word on what Toady plans it call it?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2015, 03:05:38 pm »

last major release he said he had an idea but didn't want to ruin peoples' fun with guessing or something along those lines

so let's go with that

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2015, 04:54:28 am »

Oh right. Seems like everyone's been calling it .40.25 at least. Any word on what Toady plans it call it?
I'm going to go with "less than 1.0.0".
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2015, 11:02:25 am »

Well, time to wait and see what will ensue.

I almost wish he had a Github or something where the development can be followed more closely. Though if he does and I just never knew, I will be a faildragon. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7