Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24 Released  (Read 106933 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24 Released
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2015, 03:16:56 pm »

game is not open source and almost surely will not be open source

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »

Stop giving me false hope for the new incarnation and then dashing it most cruelly upon the pointy rocks of reality ye vocal sadists.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2015, 01:11:43 am »

Hnng. I do kinda wish it was to the extent of allowing the code to be observed. Would be interesting.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2015, 09:47:36 am »

Looking over the Modest Mod, I wonder why much of it is not in the game already....

Camulus, I'll have you know that my cat is a proper lady; she eats the whole thing, but leaves the stomach and intestines for the scavengers!
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

FeBeardAuFinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2015, 12:15:10 pm »

I respect Toady's decision to keep control of his great creation. But I hope he has a will that states the source will be posted to an open source repository.  I don't mean any ill will, but bad stuff can happen in life. I just don't want to lose a great game.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2015, 03:06:26 pm »

He did mention something like that in a DF talk, I believe.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2015, 04:34:36 pm »

Yeah, as long as "bad stuff" isn't "killed for source code".

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:01 pm »

Camulus, I'll have you know that my cat is a proper lady; she eats the whole thing, but leaves the stomach and intestines for the scavengers!

Likewise, my cat is the epitome of gentlecatly behavior when it comes to mealtime protocols.

It is I that is left with the scrappy bits

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2015, 12:55:39 am »

Right. In my case I actually meant more along the lines of making the code open to be observed, rather than open to be mucked about with in full. The codes man, it just keeps happening. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2015, 01:02:14 am »

I respect Toady's decision to keep control of his great creation. But I hope he has a will that states the source will be posted to an open source repository.  I don't mean any ill will, but bad stuff can happen in life. I just don't want to lose a great game.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]