Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 80714 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

For as long as anyone can remember, The Dark Star (as some call it) has puzzled people. A massive event horizon, visible as a dark circle on the starry background, yet not exhibiting nearly as much gravity as a black hole of that size should. Yet consistent with a singularity, nothing that has ventured beyond that event horizon has ever been heard from again. Some call it mad, but an expedition is being put together to go beyond the event horizon and see what lies within. This is where you come in.

The game will require 2 things from the players before it can get started:

1) Of course, every player must have their character. I'll need a personal description, a description of their species, and a description of what skills/abilities they have. Be as detailed as you like. However, in the interest of creativity, there is an important caveat: no Earthlings. No humans, modified humans, uplifted Earth species, or mechanical beings created by any of the above. Also, it would be good to mention what role they would serve on the expedition/ship. Preference is more towards skilled people than just cannon-fodder, so making your character an expert in something is highly encouraged.

2) Once we have some characters, we'll need a ship for them to go exploring in. Suggest whatever you think it should be/have, but bear a few things in mind. Storywise, the ship is purpose-built for this expedition, so whatever provisions/items being brought will probably be covered here. I'm leaning towards hard-sci-fi in what I'll allow, and the ship probably should not be super huge (try to stay under 1km). We'll all discuss the suggestions amongst each other.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:14:18 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:54:11 pm »

I'll join.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:56:49 pm »

Interested.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:28 pm »

Sounds cool.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:21:54 pm »

I'd suggest the ship have a huge military presence. If your going into unknown territory your gonna want security.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »

Are we doing npc's?

If not, I plan on doing a member of an AI collective, so drones can function as military.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:38:50 pm »

Depends on how many players we get. But since it's widely viewed as a suicide mission, I doubt there'd be hordes of redshirts. Just a core team of brave/motivated scientists/explorers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:40:05 pm »

So prolly a fuckton of drones then.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:46:21 pm »

Well I plan to be a hard ass pirate who picked probable death on this mission over the certain death of execution for his crimes.

So I could bring along a small bunch of fighting men made up of various scum, cuthroats and other unsavory types I gathered to me in jail.
Though I plan to build my own company out of unknowns allies we meet because, well. Just because.
Caine's law.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:49:03 pm »

AI can handle most ship systems most likely, as well as security and military action. Prolly could handle general maintenance that most organics would find dangerous/tedious also due to drones. And if we get a materials influx, possibly larger droneships or life supporting ships could be built for more material intensive away missions.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »

Makes sense. My pirate band provides a backup.  If the aI is damaged they can fly the ship manually until it's fixed.
Caine's law.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:22 pm »

Definitely in, because I have a bunch of non-human alien designs kicking around that I'd love to try out. And I have no real preference on the ship, so go with whatever. Though I would like to point out that crewing it with a bunch of convicted pirates is a real dumb idea, since chances are they'll just try to hijack the thing. One or two are... Passable, but the majority of the crew should be loyal to the government that's building this thing. To a certain degree.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:02:45 pm »

One word~

Drones~

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:03:20 pm »

Drones can be sabotaged~

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »

Not if they're all being controlled by an unsleeping AI and the ship has additional construction facilities~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46