Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 80786 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2015, 02:08:11 pm »

Speaking of the ship, let's talk about ships.

The Rorqual is a capital-class ship, for masterminding lawless cargo operations in nullsec mining, in EVE, which has gobsmackingly unrealistically huge ship sizes. 14 million cubic metres? This is a mid-budget scouting mission which is widely considered to be suicide, not an invasion fleet!

For reference, that's a spaceship with a mass comparable to the amount of matter used by the sun each second. (TIL)

I think a ship the size of a Nimitz aircraft carrier or two is pretty reasonable, especially for a small crew like ours.

While internetting, I discovered that this is comparable volume to:

5600 Olympic swimming pools

~100,000,000 midgets

~5000 nuclear submarines

9.7x10^10 Ponies of strong liquor

More than 200 million cubic badgers. Only cubic ones. Good luck trying to cube them all.

Between 40 and 70 Hindenburgs, according to various argumentors.

17.5 million cubic tonnes. That is not a typo.

Well over 170 Royal Albert Halls.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:21:24 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »

That's a lot of midgets.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2015, 02:30:52 pm »

Actually, it's a helll of a lot more midgets, but I lost interest along the way and moved on to badgers.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #423 on: January 16, 2015, 01:07:49 am »

I think there should be a different AI for each sector of the ship. When I say AI i mean RVB style AI.

Could i be the AI that runs the weapons systems?
Code name: ColdCore
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

blazing glory

« Reply #424 on: January 16, 2015, 01:15:07 am »

I think there should be a different AI for each sector of the ship. When I say AI i mean RVB style AI.

Not without butting heads with Kevak about how many AI's are allowed compared to ship size.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:44 am »

Alright, from what I understand, here's some potential jobs of everyone who submitted sheets.

Indigo Diadem (Kj1225), in charge of security and armory, expert on studying new cultures
Averus_Salamoth (Pencil_Art) Biologist, expert chemist
Cathelyn (Arcvasti) Biological surveyer, expert genetic engineer/analyst
S4 (Tiruin) Ship's doctor, expert in both xenobiology (studying unknown life forms) and medicine (in a wide variety of species)
Jiggle (LuckyKobold), engineer and (when need be) mechanic
Sound-Glorious-And-Bring-New-Life-Unto-Creation (Dorisdwarf) diplomat, communicator, negotiator

Everyone else either hasn't submitted a sheet yet, or didn't include any skills (or just athletic/combat skills only). Unless I missed someone.

So, Y'ALL NEED MORE SKILLS.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 16, 2015, 01:36:58 am »

I already plan on being the AI, although the reason I'm pushing for an Alpha Grade AI is because Alphas can make lower grade AI's. Which would make streamlining most functions of the ship easier if the main AI didn't need to micromanage stuff. (I actually planned on a Delta AI per weapon.) If you want, we could figure out the specifics for you. If you want to specifically be in charge of weapons, a Beta Grade Enforcer AI would work for managing that. (Enforcer AI are AI that can handle the millisecond firing windows.)

We really do need a bigger computerbank then currently planned though if we really want to do anything useful with drones.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 16, 2015, 01:40:31 am »

Are you going to explain what any of that actually means for people who like soft-scifi?

blazing glory

« Reply #428 on: January 16, 2015, 01:41:08 am »

You should give us lesser minded people who haven't read all the books you have a list of AIs and their capabilities.

EDIT:Is ninja'd.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 16, 2015, 01:47:36 am »

A TL;DR version of the AI classification lore since I don't feel like typing the actual AI Collective lore until we decide on a ship is:

Alphas are several times smarter then a human. As in several Singularity smarter, too smart for a human (or lesser AI) to comprehend.

Betas are also several times smarter then a human, although they tend to be somewhat lower then a Alpha but considerably more specialized.

Cetas are highly specialized and one or two times smarter then a human.

Deltas are about human intelligence, however they are absurdly specialized towards whatever they are interested in/programmed to be interested in.

Everything lower is decreasing in intelligence, most drones are Epsilon Grade, excluding Drone Queens, who are always at least a Beta.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 16, 2015, 01:55:41 am »

We really do need a bigger computerbank then currently planned though if we really want to do anything useful with drones.
And I state again, "bigger" etc. are relative terms. I don't think people have stated any actual numbers for the size of computer banks or any other facilities. Need a ballpark please.

Also, bear in mind smaller and more efficient transistors than our IRL ones (and thus far more compact computers) or even quantum computers (yet more compact). You don't need a vast computer bank to support sentience (not to mention that would entirely rule out androids in this setting), the main thing the extra memory would be for is analyzing data. Which, while the feedback from all the automated systems would produce a lot of it, a ship doesn't need as large of a brain-to-body ratio as, say, a terrestrial organism.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 16, 2015, 02:00:27 am »

A few hundred times the computational power of earth as a whole as of right now is the low range ballpark.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 16, 2015, 02:16:09 am »

Why? It's not like every drone is going to be measuring particle collisions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 16, 2015, 02:26:10 am »

Alright, from what I understand, here's some potential jobs of everyone who submitted sheets.

Indigo Diadem (Kj1225), in charge of security and armory, expert on studying new cultures
Averus_Salamoth (Pencil_Art) Biologist, expert chemist
Cathelyn (Arcvasti) Biological surveyer, expert genetic engineer/analyst
S4 (Tiruin) Ship's doctor, expert in both xenobiology (studying unknown life forms) and medicine (in a wide variety of species)
Jiggle (LuckyKobold), engineer and (when need be) mechanic
Sound-Glorious-And-Bring-New-Life-Unto-Creation (Dorisdwarf) diplomat, communicator, negotiator

Everyone else either hasn't submitted a sheet yet, or didn't include any skills (or just athletic/combat skills only). Unless I missed someone.

So, Y'ALL NEED MORE SKILLS.
Err, Hugo?
People aren't limited by how skilled they are--in reality, too. While society may run on the case of 'required knowledge', that is not how the person is...constructed, so to say. One may be skilled in retail, yet be able to diffuse a situation where an armed and crazed robber barges into the store because of their knowledge and experience in communication (though unlisted). :P

Make leeway for a trial by fire, is what I'm saying. Given the discussions now--we may be dangerously verging on analysis paralysis, wherein one goes too much into the details that the fleshed out version is...akin to the concept of 'best on paper'.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 16, 2015, 02:39:01 am »

Why? It's not like every drone is going to be measuring particle collisions.
I'm talking about onboard computerbanks for storing the primary AI. Not a drone AI. ((Which still needs a fuckton op processing power to run even a animal intelligence AI.))

Also as a note. Currently the total earth computational power isn't even a seventhousandth of a human's mental capacity.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46