Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 80823 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

If I'm not busy tomorrow, I shall write up the lore/character for my AI since ship's done.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About time.  :D

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Thanks, Tiruin. What exactly do you mean by 'the arms rotating rather than cyclindrical', incidentally? The arms do rotate as it is.
Spoiler: From the blueprints (click to show/hide)

I interpreted all areas which say 'rotates with/seperately from' as 'arms', by which, instead of being cylindrical, are the exact and literal schematics shown (meaning 'I envisioned the ship having 'bars' as arms instead of the cylindrical design which I believe has the idea of artificial gravity in it)
Of note: I can't find the ship I'm referencing in Babylon 5. Maybe it was from another sci-fi reference.

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • alchemy too stronk pls nerf
    • View Profile

It's probably best not to try and come up with a plausible reason why someone would physiologically require mercury and hydrochloride as primary components of the metabolism. Or how many interesting organic mercury compounds such a metabolism could produce (such as dimethylmercury subbing in for urea for an interesting twist).

You could have the atmosphere be a mix of chlorine (probably low concentration to limit reaction speeds), methane and methyl chlorides due to radiation catalyzing free radical reactions that would logically create these. There'd probably be other stuff in there, obviously, but since this is a species that drinks mercury (which would lead me to suspect there being Venusian-style oceans full of the stuff on the planet), plus some source of sulfur, phosphorus and all that other good stuff, but probably best not to get too preoccupied with the chemistry of it all. Anyhow, metabolism based on free radical reactions seems a bit interesting, truth be told, though I'd have to look up the energies of the reactions in question to come up with something reasonably novel, and if there's something I've learned from this game, it's that it's unwise to get yourself this highly invested in what may or may not be a throwaway concept.

Not that I'm not about to do it, obviously.

With chlorine and methane, it'd need to be above 34.04 °C/​−29.27 °F (according to Wikipedia). Which is enough to make mercury liquid. So that could work?  (Or I could say "screw this" and change the survivability range to have it fit the gas and liquid. Nobody says I can't! and nevermind.

I still need to get done with the missing details of character sheet because of this minor detail, though. For the blood of Armok!)

Also, while I was trying to sleep, I've realized one quite a problem.

Timezones.

You see, when you most of you pop up, it's TWENTY SOMETHING HOURS HERE.

(It's currently 8:45ish here, and Hugo's whooping 9 hours behind).

I had problems becaues of that before.

One RP was vast enough that there was just enough timezones that there wasn't too much problems, but an earlier one was... Well, I could spend few hours or so, but after I left they'd still be here and sometimes there'd be retcons because of fact I can't stay.

I remember joking about how RP are the chaotic evil of RP. (Also, there was that "law" named after someone of the RP that more or less is "that guy you want to RP with won't be available when you are, but as soon as you leave, he pops up" - obviously it was a little exaggerating, but still. :P)

So yeah, how do we handle timezones?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:15:09 pm by EuropeanDorf »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really worry about them usually. But that's just me.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

It's going to be a real stinker to get alien fonts for the image, since the computer I have access to Photoshop is one I don't have the ability to install fonts.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aaand, finally I have something resembling a character sheet.

Now wait, I guess?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup. It's supposed to be starting sometime soon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I got nothing better to do today than run games, so...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

!!YES!!  :D

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile

KEVAK, Make sure to put lots of outdatedness and passive aggressive sadism in your backstory!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Here you go. I had to cut out and paste alien runes and then distort them into shape, but it dont look bad.

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

6/5 would ride on that thing.

Anyway, since timezones are a thing, I am running out of time. gottagofast!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

As someone in the UK, timezones caan make bay12 forum games hard, I agree.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Finally found enough time to write the AI.

Incoming textwalls:

Spoiler: Origins and History: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AI Grades: (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46