Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1472473 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17235 on: May 03, 2016, 10:41:31 pm »

The only really surprising thing has been Kasich, who has stubbornly held on for about 6 months longer than I thought he would.

Why drop out when you keep doing better and better?  He used to be in 7th place, now he's in second place.  He has almost won!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17236 on: May 03, 2016, 10:56:19 pm »

Hee, shared that with my friends.

I sorta called Trump v Clinton but I didn't really base it on research or anything.  Just the first 3 Republican debates, really.
I was pretty sure Clinton would win due to being moderate and prestigious.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17237 on: May 03, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »

\

In other words, you have a choice between supporting the interests of the two organizations that dominate national politics, or having no meaningful input at all.

What does that even mean?  I mean it's probably true in some literal sense but "supporting the party" seems to be "increase the registration numbers by one".  If you are so hostile towards the democratic party that you consider that a bad thing I absofuckinglutely do not want you getting your grubby hands anywhere near our nomination process.

Considering the dominance of the D & R relies heavily on the narrative that almost everyone is one or the other, which turns into the self-fulfilling prophecy that any action you take outside their umbrella is a waste - yes, I see contributing to the statistics behind that narrative as a substantial catch-22.  That's not hostility, but bitterness.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17238 on: May 03, 2016, 11:34:14 pm »

Considering the dominance of the D & R relies heavily on the narrative that almost everyone is one or the other

Considering the dominance of independent bitching relies on unsourced statements about how fucking everything is rigged... [CITATION NEEDED]
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17239 on: May 03, 2016, 11:42:53 pm »

I think it's pretty obvious that this false dichotomy (If not R, then D!) is "rigged" or in other words "legally protected" by the D and R.
All they have to do is nothing, since it's self-fulfilling in exactly the way SalmonGod said.  Now that it's nice and established.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17240 on: May 03, 2016, 11:43:14 pm »

Considering the dominance of the D & R relies heavily on the narrative that almost everyone is one or the other

Considering the dominance of independent bitching relies on unsourced statements about how fucking everything is rigged... [CITATION NEEDED]

Citation:  Every political discussion I've ever had in an election year my entire adult life?  All the untold numbers of times I've been told or witnessed someone being told that they're just supporting the greater evil if they throw their vote away on someone who isn't D/R and has no chance of winning anyway, to the point of genuine moral shame speech?  The almost everybody I've ever discussed their choice of vote with, including the reasoning behind every vote anyone else in my family has ever cast (who are all much much more moderate than me), who has admitted readily that they don't really like the candidate and are just trying to keep the scary worse guy away?  Obama 2008 being the only exception in my adult life.  May be anecdotes, but you may as well tell me I can't describe water when I'm swimming in it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17241 on: May 03, 2016, 11:46:38 pm »

[CITATION NEEDED] [CITATION NEEDED]
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17242 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:29 pm »

Really.  Every political discussion you have had in your life has said "no you are not allowed to do that."  Every one.

Let me make a counter argument.  People throw their vague half baked complaints out there and act like the two parties are supposed to fix everything. Citation, you just fucking did this.  My theory actually has a specific incident I can point to as evidence and explains your observations perfectly.

It's a democracy, not a massage.  The job isn't to make you feel good and leave you with a happy ending.

[CITATION NEEDED] [CITATION NEEDED][CITATION NEEDED]

ftfy
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17243 on: May 03, 2016, 11:48:43 pm »

I'm gonna need to see a source on that, tbqh.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17244 on: May 03, 2016, 11:50:34 pm »

Here you go.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17245 on: May 03, 2016, 11:56:15 pm »

Citation:  Every political discussion I've ever had in an election year my entire adult life?
Is the question denoted by the question mark supposed to be whether that's a citation? The answer is no. It's not something we could look at and check, so it's not. Unverifiable anecdotes, unfortunately, are totally irrelevant to anything.

May be anecdotes, but you may as well tell me I can't describe water when I'm swimming in it.
You can't. Despite the fact that it would generally be an easy thing to do (after all, your core point is pretty obvious), you are not really succeeding.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17246 on: May 04, 2016, 12:00:58 am »

Here you go.
Seems legit.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17247 on: May 04, 2016, 12:03:50 am »

Really.  Every political discussion you have had in your life has said "no you are not allowed to do that."  Every one.

FFS that was intentionally obvious hyberpole meant to emphasize that the theme is highly prevalent.  To the point that I would say most discussions I have witnessed that involved people beyond a small circle of apolitical or like-minded friends have had this theme interjected to some degree.

Let me make a counter argument.  People throw their vague half baked complaints out there and act like the two parties are supposed to fix everything. Citation, you just fucking did this.

No.  I expect them to leverage their power towards maintaining it, like any institution of authority naturally does.  But expecting it isn't going to stop me from bitching about it.  Just like you expect my buzzing, but still get annoyed and swat away.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17248 on: May 04, 2016, 01:20:04 am »

Think about it another way: things have gotten so bad that Trump of all people can have the whole country spinning like this.

Imagine if someone actually competent and more evil takes up the baton and appropriates the tactics of Trump, but with smarter advisors. Out of the chaos that is the current Republicans, you might end up wishing that Trump was the one who got picked.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:22:37 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17249 on: May 04, 2016, 01:22:25 am »

Are... are you saying that Trump isn't Hitler, but Wilhelm?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1342