Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453815 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19035 on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:43 am »

Speaking of sigs, the link to the MSPA is borked up.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19036 on: June 06, 2016, 09:22:52 am »

TheBiggerFish: I don't know/remember what an MSPA is, but that's an anagram of AMPS.

Back on politics, or at least opinion-on-politics:

(Click through if you want normal-sized readable text. I've included the entire article since I don't know if the Boston Globe is still paywalling.)

(This opinion piece is by Michael A. Cohen)

I've noticed in years past that The Boston Globe and its writers have a conservative tilt to everything they write, so I'm relived to see something like this in their pages, calling out the Republican establishment which is supporting Trump, for abandoning a principle they claim to hold dear.

Over the past year, Donald Trump has made clear that he has no respect for the rule of law or the separation of powers or the Constitution that every president is duty-bound to defend.

He has such little respect for the First Amendment that he has said that if he is president he’ll investigate Amazon, because its founder Jeff Bezos also owns The Washington Post and that paper has written critical stories about Trump. He’s now publicly attacking a federal judge, Gonzalo Curiel, who is presiding over a case in which Trump is a defendant and even intimated that Curiel should be investigated. And he said that as president, he’d go after the Professional Golf Association because it announced it will be moving a golf tournament from one of Trump’s golf courses.

This is one of many reasons why he is unqualified to be president, but what makes all this worse is that members of his own political party seem unbothered by it.

After all, the Republican Party portrays itself as a party that is the defender of the Constitution. In 2011, after taking over control of Congress, Republicans led the House of Representatives in reading the document from the floor of the House.

Over the past seven years, various Republican officeholders, including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, have regularly accused the White House and President Obama of unconstitutional behavior for issuing executive orders on everything from immigration to gun control. Yet, even though Trump has said he’d get rid of Obama’s executive orders and then issue many of his own, (“I’m going to use them much better, and they’re going to serve a much better purpose than what he’s done,” says Trump), Ryan endorsed him last week.

These same Republicans introduced a resolution in the House to impeach the IRS commissioner over the alleged targeting of conservative non-profit groups — and regularly have attacked President Obama over the issue — but have little to say about Trump’s stated intentions to go after his political and business opponents.

Senator Marco Rubio said that Obama “systematically and habitually violates the Constitution” and yet made clear late last month that he intended to support Trump, who has pledged to habitually and systematically violate the Constitution.

Indeed, some prominent Republicans are not even trying to defend Trump. In a piece that quoted conservative legal scholars with their hair practically on fire about the possibility of President Trump, Senator John McCain tried to soothe their fears: “I still believe we have the institutions of government that would restrain someone who seeks to exceed their constitutional obligations,” McCain said. “We have a Congress. We have the Supreme Court. We’re not Romania. Our institutions, including the press, are still strong enough to prevent” unconstitutional acts, he said.

Putting aside McCain’s rather unfair attack on Romania, a NATO ally, what he’s suggesting here is that “sure Trump is awful, sure he might try to expand his powers in ways that violate the Constitution, but hey, we can hold him in check” — just like Republican leaders were able to prevent him from getting the nomination. One might think that if you are suggesting that the country is strong enough to constrain a potentially authoritarian leader, it might be a good idea not to elect that potentially authoritarian leader in the first place. If you were a member of a political party that claims to care so deeply about the Constitution, why would you put that sacred document at risk by endorsing for president a candidate who seems to have only contempt for it?

The answer, unfortunately, is not complicated. McCain is up for reelection — and he’s facing both a primary challenge and a tough general election fight in a state where Trump’s toxic anti-immigrant attitudes could mobilize Democratic-voting Hispanics. Faced with a choice between principle and his political future, McCain chose the latter.

Paul Ryan doesn’t want to tick off the Trump-supporting members of Congress, and he might want to run for president someday. You can’t really do that if you get on the wrong side of all those Republican Trump supporters. Same goes for Marco Rubio and pretty much every other Republican officeholder who hopes to run for office ever again.

To call all of this breathtaking hypocrisy doesn’t do justice to the cravenness of what Republican leaders are doing — putting their narrow political ambitions ahead of the national interest, ahead of their ideological beliefs, and ahead of the Constitution they claim to revere.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19037 on: June 06, 2016, 09:57:15 am »

Dorisdwarf's MSPA fanventure signature has quotation marks in the wrong places.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19038 on: June 06, 2016, 10:05:03 am »

Oh, wait, is that the MS Paint Adventures comic?

[joke about how SMBC should stand for Super Mario Brothers Comic]
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19039 on: June 06, 2016, 10:14:02 am »

Yeah, Homestuck is part of MS Paint Adventures, and there are fan stories based on the style or setting (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19040 on: June 06, 2016, 12:19:33 pm »

Dorisdwarf's MSPA fanventure signature has quotation marks in the wrong places.
Speaking of sigs, the link to the MSPA is borked up.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should actually test my links, now and again.

As thanks, here's news that Buzzfeed considers President Trump a health hazard and therefore won't run ads for him any more
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19041 on: June 06, 2016, 04:35:56 pm »

Cracked does it it again with the really good reporting. what is this my cheap shitty comedy website is doing better reporting than major news outlets.

http://www.cracked.com/feature/we-were-slaves-isis-7-things-you-should-know/

also you know really terrible horrible all around situation. but that's to be expected from the subject matter. makes you want to go out and rip some isis heads off and see how they like it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19042 on: June 06, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »

Cracked does it it again with the really good reporting.
Dohohohoho~

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19043 on: June 06, 2016, 05:49:17 pm »

Dohohohoho~
i know its weird.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19044 on: June 06, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »

When actual news sources are so terrible that they count as unintentional self-parody, the only ground left for shitty comedy publications is legitimate investigative journalism.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19045 on: June 06, 2016, 06:05:31 pm »

also you know really terrible horrible all around situation. but that's to be expected from the subject matter. makes you want to go out and rip some isis heads off and see how they like it.
Would you even go so far as to want to waterboard them? Maybe do a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19046 on: June 06, 2016, 06:37:53 pm »

Then maybe Trump® is the candidate for you! *flashes used car salesman grin*

Visit here to pledge your support for useless torture and extralegal extradition today! cash only, no refunds, no foreigners
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19047 on: June 06, 2016, 06:50:55 pm »

Dohohohoho~
i know its weird.
Not really. They use the funds they make in making clickbait to fund the serious articles they really want to do. It takes them some time, but, you know. Just like how several modern authors fund the projects they want to write by producing erotica under pen names because it's impossible for several people who can even make it to the bestseller lists to live off of their books.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19048 on: June 07, 2016, 12:30:21 am »

Dohohohoho~
i know its weird.
Not really. They use the funds they make in making clickbait to fund the serious articles they really want to do. It takes them some time, but, you know. Just like how several modern authors fund the projects they want to write by producing erotica under pen names because it's impossible for several people who can even make it to the bestseller lists to live off of their books.
This is a saddening thing...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19049 on: June 07, 2016, 12:33:05 am »

That's capitalism for you
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 1342