Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453842 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19635 on: June 15, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

I hope those people that says that woman should not serve in the military because we need their uteruses to make babies are just making Dr. Strangelove references and are not being serious.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19636 on: June 15, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »

I hope those people that says that woman should not serve in the military because we need their uteruses to make babies are just making Dr. Strangelove references and are not being serious.

DAMN YOU MARGARET ATWOOD!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19637 on: June 15, 2016, 12:33:25 pm »

'Fraid many of the folks making that kind of statement in the US don't even know what Dr. Strangelove is, sheb. Your hopes are more stillborn than the existence of a repopulation issue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19638 on: June 15, 2016, 12:38:11 pm »

Welp, TheBiggerFish? Please tell meyou were making a Dr. Strangelove reference, and not casually reducing all women to their uterus.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19639 on: June 15, 2016, 12:39:31 pm »

I wasn't really doing the former or the latter.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19640 on: June 15, 2016, 12:47:04 pm »

Yeah that's a bit harsh...  It was an issue in ancient times, after all.  It's a pretty common misconception here in the states, which is unfortunate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19641 on: June 15, 2016, 01:00:07 pm »

I'm happy to see it, if only because all the people who'll have to register now will get pissed and try to scrap the thing. We don't need a draft, and now that we're a nuclear power the only cases I can think of where we would is more of a 'get the fuck out if you can, we mad max now' kind of situation. People were rightly livid when they tried to conscript people to go to Vietnam, and getting rid of it was one of the only good things Nixon did. Why Carter thought bringing it back again was a good idea is beyond me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:03:23 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19642 on: June 15, 2016, 01:04:47 pm »

I'm happy to see it, if only because all the people who'll have to register now will get pissed and try to scrap the thing. We don't need a draft, and now that we're a nuclear power the only cases I can think of where we would is more of a 'get the fuck out if you can, we mad max now' kind of situation. People were rightly livid when they tried to conscript people to go to Vietnam, and getting rid of it was one of the only good things Nixon did. Why Carter thought bringing it back again was a good idea is beyond me.

I always thought the draft was just being set up as a "Worst case scenario" where we are just writing "yes, if we ever HAVE to use a draft again both men and women will be involved"

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19643 on: June 15, 2016, 01:21:52 pm »

It's difficult to imagine people getting pissed about just having to register for it. With the post-Vietnam loss of the draft, the US has been able to stay permanently and almost continuously involved in a conflict or occupation somewhere without it having any meaningful impact on civilian contentedness or consciousness, while simultaneously getting to milk the military heroics narrative for all it's worth. With the disaster of dissent and public outrage that accompanied even limited mobilization for the Vietnam war, I don't see the US government reinstating the draft any time soon, or the public caring enough about being in the (already antiquated) system that they demand it be dismantled entirely.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19644 on: June 15, 2016, 01:23:26 pm »

I could see new-feminists trying, but they'd do anything for more attention.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19645 on: June 15, 2016, 01:27:40 pm »

I'unno, I could see folks being easily irritated by previously unnecessary paperwork, regardless of the amount or strenuousness of it. S'also th'fact that it expanding to women will probably mean all that shit that's locked behind selective service registration will suddenly come clamping down for them, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19646 on: June 15, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »

Eh?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19647 on: June 15, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »

It's been a while (over a decade) but don't you just have to check a checkbox or some shit to sign up for the draft?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19648 on: June 15, 2016, 01:42:10 pm »

It's been a while (over a decade) but don't you just have to check a checkbox or some shit to sign up for the draft?

You can sign up for the draft... but that is volunteering

Otherwise you are ALWAYS in the Draft and there are few ways out of it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19649 on: June 15, 2016, 01:43:33 pm »

Little bit more to it than that, iirc, and there's also cards and whatnot involved. Usually do it in tandem with something else, sure, but in this case many of 'em will have already done said things. Unless it's only going to apply to people coming of age in the future, I guess. Haven't actually looked at any details, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 ... 1342