Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1469172 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6690 on: November 20, 2015, 02:24:55 pm »

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/11/20/frightened-ignorant-and-cowardly-is-no-way-to-go-through-life-son/

I think it's also (partially or wholly) due to the 'we must oppose Obama at all costs!' complex that the Republicans have had for the last seven years. I'll also note that 99% of the rhetoric and fear has been on the republican side.

I'd give you 65 at the most.

The concern that they won't integrate properly is a little more legitimate though, if the "settle most of them in a particular part of the country" plan I've been hearing about is what's actually going on. We've seen that there's a lot of... I don't think culture shock is quite the word for it, but something like that going on in Europe. The same thing will most assuredly happen here, too, and we already have our share of tensions along those lines. If that isn't the plan, and that's just something the people who don't want na gaddam moslims round har, I guess the above doesn't really apply.

I still think it's sort of like stabbing a guy, putting a bandage on the wound, then stabbing him again somewhere else. The USA has a pretty considerable part in perpetuating the conflict these people are fleeing from. Maybe we should just let it end and solve the problem at its source. That would let Russia "win" though, so I don't have high hopes of much happening beyond sending ISIS back to whatever swamp they crawled out of.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: November 20, 2015, 02:51:32 pm »

my question is - why care about forcing integration? i thought multiculturalism was a good thing

it's not like the brown people are going to breed civilization into extinction or whatever your racist grandpa keeps saying

culture's gonna be what culture's gonna be, and if it's healthy that's usually gonna mean changes like adopting some habits and customs from neighbors and immigrants

i, for one, am grateful for italian-americans' contribution of pizza

no need to get all xenophobic, just keep being a decent person by your own standards, and feel free to complain about specific cultural practices you dislike, like honor killings or whatever, because of course being tolerant doesn't mean being an idiot and a doormat
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: November 20, 2015, 02:59:08 pm »

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/11/20/frightened-ignorant-and-cowardly-is-no-way-to-go-through-life-son/

I think it's also (partially or wholly) due to the 'we must oppose Obama at all costs!' complex that the Republicans have had for the last seven years. I'll also note that 99% of the rhetoric and fear has been on the republican side.

Also, more-than-two-party system when? With all the divisions, this year seems like it would have been a pretty good year for a third party to gain traction, but the two parties aren't weak enough yet.

@ the Canadian and British Bay12ers: Canada and the UK have a FPTP system like the US, right? So, how do you guys manage to have thriving third parties? I know smaller population is a factor, but Americans are no less diverse than the Canadians or the British.

Edit: Now that CNN is going to use the Iowa and New Hampshire polls, I bet Jindal is facepalming right now because he's been doing pretty well in the Iowa polls. Then again, he cited cash issues as one reason why he got out.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/cnn-gop-debate-criteria-las-vegas-216106
3rd parties don't happen in the US because of Winner-Take-All. If a 3rd party member gets, say 35% of the votes in California, you would think he'd get about 19 electoral college votes, but instead, he gets 0.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: November 20, 2015, 03:04:03 pm »

So once again, the problem is the electoral college?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: November 20, 2015, 03:07:01 pm »

So once again, the problem is the electoral college?
No, winner-takes-all is in everything else as well. Without any foothold, it is almost impossible for a third party to come to prominence.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: November 20, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »

When third parties come into prominence, one of the major parties is more or less required to incorporate the platform into their own, hence party realignment. On the decade scale, neither party is especially monolithic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realigning_election
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: November 20, 2015, 03:22:36 pm »

But then again, FPTP systems in Canada and the UK haven't had this result (though it has been increasingly argued that this is precisely what is happening between Labour and the Tories outside of regional parties in the latter), and proportional systems in Nebraska and Maine haven't resulted in third parties emerging in these states for electoral votes.  Big-tent parties such as the Democrats and Republicans don't owe all of their success to the FPTP system; rather, it's because they also have proven their ability in the past to co-opt single-issue parties (Prohibition, Populist, Farmer-Labor) that has maintained their strength.  When the major party or parties couldn't accomplish this (Free Soilers against both Democrats and Whigs; the gradual division of the Democratic-Republicans into Jeffersonian and Jacksonian ideals), it was typically that the smaller party absorbed the big-tent principles of the larger (Free Soilers becoming Republicans, then taking on the Whigs). 

Essentially, it's always seemed to me that there's a bit less difference than it would usually be expected between someone identifying as a progressive faction member in the Democrat party, or someone identifying as a Progressive party member in the Democrat coalition.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:25:22 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: November 20, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »

What's interesting is that in the 19th century, the realignments happened roughly every 30 years (give or take a decade), which sort of matches generational turnover. Even though apparently nobody really agrees on it after about 1932, the dates listed sort of roughly match the 30 year timespan. Though things accelerated (or maybe just got more fluid) after the 90s.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: November 20, 2015, 03:46:31 pm »

Another reason that third parties don't do very well is because the US uses single-member districts-states are divided into as many as there are representatives, and then each district elects a representative.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: November 20, 2015, 04:04:13 pm »

Honestly, though, FPTP SMD elections screw over everyone who isn't a member of the majority party in their district, not just third party voters. Proportionally, that means upwards of 45% of citizens in a district based purely on party affiliation are essentially voiceless. That's the reason to dislike SMD systems--not to say that the relative handful of consistent independent voters aren't as important, just that in pure statistical terms they're a relatively small fraction of the people being screwed, so it doesn't make much sense to focus purely on them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: November 20, 2015, 04:04:52 pm »

my question is - why care about forcing integration? i thought multiculturalism was a good thing

it's not like the brown people are going to breed civilization into extinction or whatever your racist grandpa keeps saying

culture's gonna be what culture's gonna be, and if it's healthy that's usually gonna mean changes like adopting some habits and customs from neighbors and immigrants

i, for one, am grateful for italian-americans' contribution of pizza

no need to get all xenophobic, just keep being a decent person by your own standards, and feel free to complain about specific cultural practices you dislike, like honor killings or whatever, because of course being tolerant doesn't mean being an idiot and a doormat
But...but....then our children will one one day grow up eating hummus and pita bread! Instead of wholesome American food like Doritos and Hot Pockets!
(mine already love hummus and pita)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: November 20, 2015, 04:07:22 pm »

I think at this point the America is way is closer to Remove Feta than Remove Kebab, ever since 2010 when the garbanzo invasion happened.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: November 20, 2015, 04:12:30 pm »

An opportune time to remind people that Mike Huckabee wants everyone to "wake up and smell the falafel".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: November 20, 2015, 04:20:45 pm »

Doubt it. The Muslim voting bloc was lost after 9/11, all the nones are pretty much dedicated libertarian types, and Christian republicans are actually more likely to support you if you bash others.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: November 20, 2015, 04:23:02 pm »

I hope that this level of Republican stupid continues. Once it turns into a pissing contest of who can be more religiously insensitive, they'll hopefully have driven enough voters away that no one dares touch them in a general election.
This is always what happens to the losers of the GOP. They get into hissy fits. I am glad that the top GOP members (except trump) are actually much smarter than they were last year, (Rubio, Cruz, Carson) I want be satisfied if either of them make it into presidency.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1342