Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453997 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #675 on: March 06, 2015, 09:09:20 am »

Well, of course, but drone strikes in general work differently - and most (though not all by a long stretch) drone strikes executed by the US indeed do work differently, at least as far as I know. So the point still stands that drone strikes signify a great reduction in use of military force, even if they need to be reigned in further. They are an improvement. Not good under any sensibe definition of the word, but an improvement.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 06, 2015, 09:36:07 am »

Well, he WAS trying to reduce military involvement in the Middle East (or at least get troops out of there), but then ISIS happened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:38 pm »

Do they work differently? AFAIK, most of the results are classified, and the US just decided that any male of military age was a militant unless proven otherwise...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 06, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »

We are not 'belligerently sticking our wang in people's faces'  I wish to hell that this attitude would die.  The United States is required by NATO and U.N. treaties to act as the enforcement arm of both organizations.  While I won't claim that we haven't taken independent action (Fuck you to death W.), the vast majority of American involvement in other nations politics is caused by some European asshole waving a treaty in our face and saying "Do what you promised our American friends", and then going on their national television and denouncing us to the public as terrorists and imperialists.  If you don't even grasp that then don't make asinine comments about our military being utilized as required.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:36 pm »

Do they work differently? AFAIK, most of the results are classified, and the US just decided that any male of military age was a militant unless proven otherwise...
Well, if you claim anything else you're either calling the US military horrifically incompetent or essentially saying they're targeting civilians on purpose. It's pretty much the same situation as with Israeli military strikes, just that the elephant of anti-semitism is not in the room.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 06, 2015, 12:56:37 pm »

We are not 'belligerently sticking our wang in people's faces'  I wish to hell that this attitude would die.  The United States is required by NATO and U.N. treaties to act as the enforcement arm of both organizations.  While I won't claim that we haven't taken independent action (Fuck you to death W.), the vast majority of American involvement in other nations politics is caused by some European asshole waving a treaty in our face and saying "Do what you promised our American friends", and then going on their national television and denouncing us to the public as terrorists and imperialists.  If you don't even grasp that then don't make asinine comments about our military being utilized as required.

That hasn't been true for the last decade and a half. True, there's Lybia, but that was a coalition in which someone else took the lead for once, or at least took a major portion of the burden.

Despite this being the American Politics thread, I'll leave it to our European forumites to argue back at you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 06, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »

I'm just going to leave this here, in case some people didn't get this far.

“You Never Die Twice,” a new report by Jennifer Gibson of Reprieve, a British-based human rights organization, settles the question quickly by showing that some men on the White House “kill list” of terror suspects to be taken out have “'died' as many as seven times."

Gibson adds, “We found 41 names of men who seemed to have achieved the impossible. This raises a stark question. With each failed attempt to assassinate a man on the kill list, who filled the body bag in his place?” In fact, Reprieve discovered that, in going after those 41 “targets” numerous times, an estimated 1,147 people were killed in Pakistan by drones. Typical was the present leader of al-Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahiri. In two strikes against “him” over the years, according to Reprieve, 76 children and 29 adults have died, but not al-Zawahiri.

And this is close.  The U.S. military definition of a "militant" was adjusted a few years ago to mean (don't remember the exact verbage but I know it's very close to this) "Any male in the vicinity of a U.S. military operation at or above the age of eligilibility for military service."  Obviously for the purpose of cutting down on the number of deaths that have to be reported as civilian deaths.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 06, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »

But I think it's a fair question whether, as the largest and most influential member of both NATO and the UN Security Council, we use those organizations are cover for US foreign policy objectives.

If the US (as a member of NATO) persuades NATO to invoke its charter to send troops (Libya, for example), it's somewhat disingenuous to hide behind the NATO Charter and say "We don't really want to send bombers to Libya, we're just honoring our agreements."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 06, 2015, 01:05:53 pm »

Not that I'm equating drone strikes with something as indiscriminate as gas, but there are parallels.

Look I'm not saying that your construction of words to convey an abstract idea is the same as the Pinochet regime signing death squad warrants but there are parallels.

Look I'm not saying that arguing against the drone strikes in certain situations is the same as Stalin's "nonaggression" supporting Hitler invading Poland and France but there are parallels.

Look I'm not saying that you applying a strawman to what I said in order to compare Obama to Mussolini is an example of Godwin's law but there are parallels.

Obama has decided to (in the crudest terms I care to think of) murder fewer brown people as collateral damage.  He has also decided to put fewer 'muricans near the targets.  As a result more brown people get killed by the drones however fewer brown people get murdered overall.

If you look at only a subset of the sample, murders by drone, you can say that it is rising.  However if you conclude from this that propensity to murder has risen then you are doing what is known statistically as "Lying through your teeth".  While I will not say if the propensity to murder brown people is higher or lower; it is obvious that treating at a idiosyncratic subsample as representative to the whole is wrong.  I dont care to make a moral judgement as whether it is better to be murdered by drone or murdered by bullet.  I simply care to make an objective judgement that the corpses are accumulating at a slower rate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 06, 2015, 01:07:56 pm »

I was going to ragepost like a moron, but I won't.  Yes, during the W. Bush administration our military actions were definitely being driven by unbridled capitalism, this does not however erase the 60 years prior where these actions established themselves as the US M.O.  And the various engagements we were involved in prior to W. are still almost universally the result of foreign requests for support.

Redking:  That may be valid criticism, but we have no clear method for determining cause and effect beyond the information that is made available for public consumption.  That information clearly indicates a trend of foreign powers invoking treaties to get what they want.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 06, 2015, 01:15:39 pm »

But this is all irrelevant to the election though, because no American candidate campaigns on foreign policy; the electorate at large just doesn't give a fuck. This would probably fit better in the ISIS thread.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:33 pm »

We are not 'belligerently sticking our wang in people's faces'  I wish to hell that this attitude would die.  The United States is required by NATO and U.N. treaties to act as the enforcement arm of both organizations.  While I won't claim that we haven't taken independent action (Fuck you to death W.), the vast majority of American involvement in other nations politics is caused by some European asshole waving a treaty in our face and saying "Do what you promised our American friends", and then going on their national television and denouncing us to the public as terrorists and imperialists.

If other NATO members were half as active as we are in attacking militants where they live, I'd be more willing to agree with you. But striking into allied nations sometimes with their permission and blessing, sometimes without, how is that not throwing our war wang in people's faces? At one point Pakistan told us we were done with drone strikes, because of all the civilian casualties among the tribes we were causing, and we pretty much went "Heh, ok" and continued doing it.

If you don't even grasp that then don't make asinine comments about our military being utilized as required.

Yes. It's not our fault, we're just doing what our alliances require. That's about as asinine a position as it gets. You can't pull the trigger/push the button and then blame someone else for making you do it. That may have contributed to the decision, but to waive the US's responsibility for it, or the actions like I just stated above, is burying your head in the sand.

Redking:  That may be valid criticism, but we have no clear method for determining cause and effect beyond the information that is made available for public consumption.  That information clearly indicates a trend of foreign powers invoking treaties to get what they want.

"We can't prove anything. So in the absence of evidence, just categorically state it's our allies fault." Way to own up to today.

But this is all irrelevant to the election though, because no American candidate campaigns on foreign policy; the electorate at large just doesn't give a fuck. This would probably fit better in the ISIS thread.

Despite the Republicans bringing Netanyahu over here, and everyone beating their chest about being friends of Israel or not, supporting attacking Iran or not, this has nothing do with American foreign policy as it relates to elections?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:14 pm »

It is not in the best interest of this thread to continue with this line of discussion, I have placed the last words I have to say on this specific subject below, and will cease to derail.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 06, 2015, 01:34:33 pm »

Despite the Republicans bringing Netanyahu over here, and everyone beating their chest about being friends of Israel or not, supporting attacking Iran or not, this has nothing do with American foreign policy as it relates to elections?

It has no impact in that both parties take the same stance, excluding some semantics.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 06, 2015, 01:40:03 pm »

It has no impact in that both parties take the same stance, excluding some semantics.

OP checking in here. Pretty much any US political discussion, or reasonable tangents thereto, is fine. The alternative this far from the election is thread death, and there's no reason to have competing US politics threads.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1342