Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1454039 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9195 on: January 04, 2016, 06:58:03 pm »

Emotional responses make me feel angry because I am utterly removed from the situation and don't want to feel any empathy to it whatsoever.
Seems about right.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »

Emotional responses make me feel angry because I am utterly removed from the situation and don't want to feel any empathy to it whatsoever.
Seems about right.

Hey you can read it how you want, though I suspect if you get the blood you want you'll enjoy the reality much less then the fantasy.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:12 pm »

Well, I've been among the posts calling out double standards rather than actual blood, and am far more interested in this being a good point of comparison to how minorities are treated in general. However, I also see the whole schtick of turning one's nose up at the whole idea that people might be angry as the same kind of inhuman (or rather, all-too-human) response that allowed racial biases to crop up amongst the colonially minded in the 18th and 19th centuries. "Oh, what is this anger emotion? Everyone would be better off not venting anything. Beep boop."
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:16 pm »

If I am presented with an opinion I want to debate in a thread meant for debate I will debate it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: January 04, 2016, 07:13:12 pm »

Anyone remember Christopher Dorner?  Police were afraid of him, too.  So they avoided confrontation by burning him alive inside a building.

And I want to be absolutely clear that I do not want this situation to be handled violently. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but my message is "We can do the right thing here, so why can't we do it there?" 

My message is NOT "You did the bad thing there, so you should do it here, too."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:20:58 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: January 04, 2016, 07:18:54 pm »

This is what I love about American politics, much ideology & rhetoric, very little practicality. Seems to me they're handling the situation in a way that causes the minimum chance of a bloodbath & a shitfest (for once) and I have to read a whole heap of people calling for blood on principle. Is there a double standard? Of course? Is that shit? yes. No amount of killing crazy white right wing hicks is actually going to make people who don't care about black lives start caring.

Just siege them out. Minimize the collateral damage. Arrest them. Charge them with everything you can. It's actually how law enforcement is supposed to work. I've read a lot of people complaining that the situation is actually being handled the way it's meant to be.
Except that so far there's no siege. Or well, ANY kind of law enforcement response, other than the local sheriff basically warning people to stay clear and the county school system staying closed all week. And the FBI saying they're talking with local and state law enforcement to find a peaceful solution. So yay for talking, but where's the fucking response? If one of these yahoos gets in a snit and shoots a townsperson for being insufficently freedom-loving, you're going to see a whole hell of a lot more people complaining about the lack of a response.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: January 04, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »

Well, I've been among the posts calling out double standards rather than actual blood, and am far more interested in this being a good point of comparison to how minorities are treated in general. However, I also see the whole schtick of turning one's nose up at the whole idea that people might be angry as the same kind of inhuman (or rather, all-too-human) response that allowed racial biases to crop up amongst the colonially minded in the 18th and 19th centuries. "Oh, what is this anger emotion? Everyone would be better off not venting anything. Beep boop."

It's not the anger or the emotion that bothers me. Hey I've got plenty of raw disgust for both the militia involved & for some of the posts I've read above. It's the fact that I'm pretty sure some of the posters here would actually like to see this turn bloody. That they think a bloodbath here will actually solve the problems. A few posts here seem to hold an uncanny similarity to the attitudes of the idiots in the building with guns.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:21:06 pm by wobbly »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: January 04, 2016, 07:23:37 pm »

It's not the anger or the emotion that bothers me. Hey I've got plenty of raw disgust for both the militia involved & for some of the posts I've read above. It's the fact that I'm pretty sure some of the posters here would actually like to see this turn bloody. That they think a bloodbath here will actually solve the problems. A few posts here seem to hold an uncanny similarity to the attitudes of the idiots in the building with guns.
Ahh, alright.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: January 04, 2016, 07:29:41 pm »

Yes, idiots trying to provoke some kind of apocalyptic martyrdom with the government = people who wouldn't mind seeing them get their wish. You've found me out, I'm secretly a left-wing pro-government militiaman from Mirror Universe. Evil mustache and everything.

If they had showed up unarmed, more power to them. As said previously, I actually kind of sympathize with the Hammonds and think they're getting a bit of a raw deal. But when these nutters showed up armed and started spouting confrontational macho bullshit rhetoric, they lose any and all sympathy and become a threat.

Civil disobedience != armed occupation by paramilitaries. I still can't fathom why that's so hard for some people to grasp. This is not equivalent to Occupy Wall Street or BlackLivesMatter or protesting the Iraq War. It's more akin to ISIS or eastern Ukraine.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: January 04, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »

Yes, idiots trying to provoke some kind of apocalyptic martyrdom with the government = people who wouldn't mind seeing them get their wish. You've found me out, I'm secretly a left-wing pro-government militiaman from Mirror Universe. Evil mustache and everything.

The mustache would look weird on a mechanical owl.

But when these nutters showed up armed and started spouting confrontational macho bullshit rhetoric, they lose any and all sympathy and become a threat.

This part I agree with. What I'm unsure of is why you think the threat is best handled with the maximum chance of bloodshed? & why you think other situations handled badly mean this should also be dealt with badly?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: January 04, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »

They've already said they'll die before leaving.

They've already said they'll shoot at anyone trying to remove them.

At what point do you stop wringing your hands over the cost of human life and face facts that they've precipitated this situation and are dictating the terms of engagement? They don't even have a coherent demand to be met.

At that point, it's a question of whether you go in there and establish the authority of the US government, or you back off because you don't want bloodshed and these guys effectively have held the US government response at ransom over a Wildlife Refuge. What happens the next time it's a post office, a government office building or they decide to take hostages instead of waiting until the holidays when a building is empty?

And seriously. No one has said they just want the government to open fire. That's bullshit inserting of motives so people who feel squeamish about it can claim a moral high ground. Try actually debating what is being said instead of inserting a strawman. At least what Redking and I want is for the government and law enforcement to go in there, do their fucking jobs and establish order. At least put up a fucking perimeter so the crazy stays at the refuge instead of getting frozen pizza from the local supermarket, so their fucking charade can go on for 6 months.

After a while it starts to look like complicity by inaction. Never before have I seen armed gunman take a federal property and the government's response was to not be fucking present at the scene after two solid days. Someone, for the love of god, explain that one to me. Because right now it's like the government considers this anything but a crime.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:04:08 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: January 04, 2016, 07:51:56 pm »

If there are no real consequences for this action, you're going to see copycat actions pop up all over. They'll perceive restraint as weakness.

Doesn't have to be bloodshed, but it needs to be a solid and decisive takedown. Knockout gas the place and then move in, use sonic guns on them or whatever. But just waiting them out and then watching the prosecution get dragged out for years and/or no real penalty being applied is not a satisfactory resolution, IMHO.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:28 pm »

If there are no observable deterrence effects of gun ownership on crime or deterrence effects of drone strikes on Islamic radicals, why would you expect deterrence to work here?  What makes these people seem unusually rational or intimidatable?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: January 04, 2016, 08:07:59 pm »

Think it was RK that already mentioned the apparent effect of stuff like the Waco hit, which was the rough parallel used. Something like that, anyway, it was a few hours back and I'm only half paying attention at the moment. Previous observed effectiveness would seem to be the response, there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1342