Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1469699 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9255 on: January 06, 2016, 09:06:50 am »

So, the ancient Celts had a law where the higher-ranked you were, the more severe the punishment for crimes.

I feel we should implement this.

It's common in Europe to have fines calculated as a sliding-scale based on your income. That would be a start. Then you might not get asshats like Justin Bieber drag racing in Lamborghini's and not giving a shit because the speeding fines so small, and they know they're not going to get jail time because they're so famous.

This would also be a great way to rake the dosh in, if they had fined Bieber millions for the reckless driving and also the marijuana possession, it would have brought in a ton of needed cash at the municipal level. Also, think about incentivizing the cops that rich people are worth more to bust. Right now they probably let a bunch of rich white kids get off scot free for the same offense they come down like a ton of bricks on some ghetto kids, so adding even a small monetary incentive to fine the rich kids would only be leveling the playing field.

Why is this not a thing here? D:

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9256 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:12 am »

ISIS is making a killing off selling oil, though. Bizarrely, I think their biggest customer is feckin' Syria.
Syria is just the middleman, same way as with the Kurds. It's most amusing to see the Kurds and ISIS saying they send their oil off to a middleman and if it happens to end up in Turkish/Israeli hands than that's how the oil flows

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:28 am »

We interrupt your regularly-scheduled thread to say: God Bless America.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Amateur.  He forgot the ammo!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: January 06, 2016, 09:20:10 am »

We interrupt your regularly-scheduled thread to say: God Bless America.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Amateur.  He forgot the ammo!

inb4 Wal-Mart starts selling Molotov cocktail launchers

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: January 06, 2016, 09:28:05 am »

So, the ancient Celts had a law where the higher-ranked you were, the more severe the punishment for crimes.

I feel we should implement this.

It's common in Europe to have fines calculated as a sliding-scale based on your income. That would be a start. Then you might not get asshats like Justin Bieber drag racing in Lamborghini's and not giving a shit because the speeding fines so small, and they know they're not going to get jail time because they're so famous.

This would also be a great way to rake the dosh in, if they had fined Bieber millions for the reckless driving and also the marijuana possession, it would have brought in a ton of needed cash at the municipal level. Also, think about incentivizing the cops that rich people are worth more to bust. Right now they probably let a bunch of rich white kids get off scot free for the same offense they come down like a ton of bricks on some ghetto kids, so adding even a small monetary incentive to fine the rich kids would only be leveling the playing field.

Why is this not a thing here? D:
Wait, this is not a thing in the US?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: January 06, 2016, 09:32:31 am »

If that were the case, than the whole situation would turn around. The cops would start looking for excuses to bust rich people. Not a good plan.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:50 am »

Not really. There's too few truly rich people to make that a problem, and they won't start disproportionally busting middle class folks because, well, cops themselves are middle class too. It's a class consciousness thing, at least sort of.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:26 am »

Also, you just have to make it so that the police department themselves don't get the proceeds from the fine.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:53 am »

Generally the officer themself keeping the fine is considered corruption in most places.  Police departments can keep some or all of the fine in the US however, which does lead to some conflicts of interest.  Even if there were scaled fines, abuses of this nature would still occur against the poor if they occurred because the poor are the ones who dont know how to contest things.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:43 am »

If that were the case, than the whole situation would turn around. The cops would start looking for excuses to bust rich people. Not a good plan.
Well, there are people in expensive looking vehicles zooming down the highway.  Every day.  Big hauls, already there for the taking.  That'll learn em.

I believe the local court handling the matter takes a piece of the pie to, in some places at least.

EDIT: Also, no possible legal way for the cop giving the ticket to directly collect... as far as I know.  Indirectly by getting paid, sure. Civil Forfeiture below.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:06:52 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: January 06, 2016, 11:01:54 am »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/instituteforjustice/2014/03/12/cops-use-traffic-stops-to-seize-millions-from-drivers-never-charged-with-a-crime/

Nor is Nevada an outlier.  Twenty-five other states allow police to pocket all of the proceeds from civil forfeiture.  Property owners must prove their innocence in civil forfeiture proceedings in 37 other states.

Well, they can and do shake people down for any spare cash you might have, then that goes to the precinct. Also been known that narcotics cops plant baggies in nice cars, claim them as proceeds of drugs, then they get impounded, and used as "undercover" vehicles. So it's definitely known that cops "legally" steal people's cars then get to drive them around. Back to the cash shake downs:
The New Yorker reported that cops even threatened drivers, that, if they didn’t turn over their cash, their children could be taken by Child Protective Services.
... Would anyone in their right mind goes to such lengths if they're not taking a cut of the proceeds.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:05:44 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: January 06, 2016, 12:06:30 pm »

Latest on the Oregon standoff:

Ammon Bundy revealed to have taken out a $530,000 SBA loan from the government.
"I am not anti-government" Bundy stated.(The full quote should have been "I am not anti-government when they give me stuff, only when they want me to pay for it.")

The Guardian's reporters actually went and inventoried the militia's supplies.
It included a cardboard box of apples and oranges, a few dozen pots of instant ramen, 24 cans of chicken noodle soup, a similar number of cans of sweetcorn, peas, beans and chili, and 20 boxes of macaroni and cheese.

There were also three sacks of potatoes, one bag of flour, another of rolled oats, boxes of raisins, a single bag of pretzels and one granola bar.

This isn't a militia, this is what a frat house packs for Spring Break.

Fish and Wildlife Service is planning to cut the power to the buildings, followed by blocking phone service (and I'm doubting there's much cell reception out there) and eventually blocking the roads. This is going to turn into some weird reality show where we watch a group of terrible people become more terrible before our eyes, isn't it? Culminating in a mass shootout over that granola bar.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:54 pm »

Hang on, they don't say how many boxes of raisins. They may be planning a raisin-based nutrition scheme, and for all we know it could last for years!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:12 pm »

I am all for this turning into shitty Kingdom of the Flies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: January 06, 2016, 12:14:15 pm »

I am all for this turning into shitty Kingdom of the Flies.
Maybe the reporters could make them run through pointless physical challenges in return for Hardee's Thickburgers.. Hell, I smell a sponsorship deal here...

The bigger question might be, did anyone bring toilet paper? Cause it might be turning into a REALLY shitty Lord of the Flies.

EDIT: I'm also wondering what they're going to do with flour but no butter, milk or sugar. Maybe they just brought a sack of flour because "that's what the pioneers did". Basic cooking fail.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:16:56 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 1342