Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1389

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 840768 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9555 on: January 04, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »

If those guys claim to be a foreign nation, then the feds can just claim they're reinforcing border controls. Maybe get Trump to come build a wall around their shed.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

Tennessee state representative asks on Twitter how he can support YallQaeda.

Also, the militia has apparently provided a mailing address where supporters can send snacks, energy drinks, etc. My guess is that they'll complain that the tyrannical US Postal Service charges for their services too.

EDIT: Seeing the 150 number tossed around quite a bit, with other reports indicating only abut 20 at the building. Which would imply ~130 militia outside the grounds, probably in town. That's a security nightmare for LEOs, especially with such a small population.

Daily Beast is also reporting a rogues' gallery of known Islamophobes and anti-government extremists in attendance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:18:35 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: January 04, 2016, 04:14:32 pm »

It would be nice if congress could use this incident as an excuse to weaken mandatory sentencing laws.  Let these guys we a cause celebre for something useful.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: January 04, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »

Can't imagine the outrage machine would handle that coincidence very well.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: January 04, 2016, 04:49:22 pm »

Coincidence?  I'm saying it's a teachable moment thing.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with an avatar not years irrelevant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: January 04, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »

It blows my mind that so many people are openly advocating violence and death. Two wrongs don't make a right, folks, and shooting these guys up doesn't make anything better or solve any justice problems. It just ends up with more people dead. Do you all actually want that so badly you don't care about our justice system, you know, not killing its own people en masse?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:52:52 pm by Powder Miner »

Glory to Forenia!

Kolubaria in aeternum!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: January 04, 2016, 04:52:24 pm »

You could go back and read the thread.

Or I guess you can pile on with everyone else wringing their hands.

The cops need to go in and remove them. If some idiot redneck decides to open fire, that's his decision. But both the cops and the feds standing there doing nothing is not acceptable. It wouldn't be acceptable if they were brown and screaming about Allah, I don't know why it's acceptable here.

I don't want people to get shot. But I'm not going to shed tears over wing nuts who came out point blank and said "I'm ready to die before I voluntarily leave here" getting exactly what they're asking for.

It blows my mind you find armed American thugs of the worst kind holding the Fed at gun point ok. See what I did there?

Coincidence?  I'm saying it's a teachable moment thing.

I'll hand it to Bundy though. Choosing a closed down wildlife refuge almost no one cares about was pretty smart. No one was there, no one really cares about it and it still meets his requirement of attacking a government facility while letting him be a complete chicken shit about doing so. If this had been a post office or a National Guard recruitment center or some other more important federal facility, this probably would have played out different.

What I'm saying is I don't think anyone these days is very good about learning from such teachable moments.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:59:08 pm by nenjin »
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: January 04, 2016, 04:53:07 pm »

It would be nice if congress could use this incident as an excuse to weaken mandatory sentencing laws.  Let these guys we a cause celebre for something useful.
Not sure I see the connection, but ok...?

(I assume you're talking about the Hammondses, not the Bundy militia.)

It blows my mind how many people are suddenly peace, love and sunshine when it's white right-wingers in the crosshairs.

Do I *want* them dead? Nah, if they surrender now and are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, I'm cool with that.
Do I expect that to happen (either the surrender or the actual prosecution)? Nope.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »

I did read the thread, the entire discussion, every single page for the better part of an hour, and that is exactly why I am complaining. The thread expressly contained arguing in favor of air strikes and people being angry that situations in Baltimore and Ferguson (which were ongoing violent and destructive situations) while this is not, which I can understand, and then therefore wanting them to be taken out violently, which I can't. I'm okay with them being removed, but not out of a sense of it being unfair they aren't being violenced too.

(And specifically in reply to RedKing, I've never advocated violence on people just because they're not white right wingers. I actually have consistency here, I'm not just flipping "yes" or "no" on violence based on who it is.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:03:34 pm by Powder Miner »

Glory to Forenia!

Kolubaria in aeternum!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: January 04, 2016, 05:03:19 pm »

If they had been violenced at least I'd some faith that, somewhere, some overarching law of cause and effect still applies. That there is some standard we can expect out of law enforcement, even if that standard is "people get killed when the police show up."

But not even that is true. It's just good old fashioned "when blacks are involved, shoot first, ask questions later, admit no wrong doing in the end." And when whites are involved it's "let's not race to hasty judgment lest the wrong people get hurt. They should be afforded every opportunity to surrender peacefully so they can return to their families and, hell, maybe we'll even just let them go in the end because after all, it's just a building right?"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:07:41 pm by nenjin »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: January 04, 2016, 05:03:37 pm »

Show me where anybody in Ferguson or Baltimore was walking around with AR-15s and promising to shoot anybody that tried to stop them. There's crime and then there's openly defying the United States government with armed sedition. You deal with crime with standard law enforcement measures. You deal with armed sedition in an altogether different manner.

EDIT:
18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:06:54 pm by RedKing »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: January 04, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »

I probably wouldn't be able to point it out between all of the arson and looting, RedKing. They're nuts with guns, but there's no actual violence yet and I would like to keep it that way. Do you think that no policemen would get shot and hurt or killed if a gunfight really did begin?

And I'd much prefer no standard than a standard of killing things, nenjin. Being fair doesn't make it better at ALL. No amount of equally sharing the wrongs will make them right. It's still violence.

Glory to Forenia!

Kolubaria in aeternum!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: January 04, 2016, 05:08:53 pm »

No standard is what you have right now. And all your concern for the sanctity of human life pretty much means fuck all if you're ok with the status quo we've had so far.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Even CNN isn't giving this thing top billing. We're so inured to white militantism than even the most liberal news agency doesn't consider this a headline. After all, it's not Muslims, is it? Move along, nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:11:39 pm by nenjin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: January 04, 2016, 05:11:54 pm »

I don't have meaningful regard for human life because I don't want more people shot?

Glory to Forenia!

Kolubaria in aeternum!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: January 04, 2016, 05:12:40 pm »

I probably wouldn't be able to point it out between all of the arson and looting, RedKing. They're nuts with guns, but there's no actual violence yet and I would like to keep it that way. Do you think that no policemen would get shot and hurt or killed if a gunfight really did begin?
Wow. Such answer. Much evasion. And yeah, I do imagine cops would die which is why they're not up there. Whose fault would that be, especially if the gunfight is triggered by police attempting to arrest the militias?

And I'd much prefer no standard than a standard of killing things, nenjin. Being fair doesn't make it better at ALL. No amount of equally sharing the wrongs will make them right. It's still violence.
Somehow I don't think you'd prefer "no standard" if you were the one constantly getting the shit-end of the stick.

Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1389