Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453834 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Bay12 Election Megathread- 2016 Edition
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:43 am »

Naw, Romney took his ball and went home.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:51 am »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 07:24:36 am »

... someone remind me: Is it possible that everything flips? Republican president, democrat house and senate majorities?

Aren't senators appointed for life? If someone nukes the senate house during a meeting, then its still totes mcgoats possible.
No, but they rotate out in thirds, so you can't get all of them out in one election.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 08:50:02 am »

The House is probably not going to flip because of gerrymandering, although you never really know- the Republicans could really blow it in the next two years and send a lot of moderates to the polls to throw the bastards out. They've benefited enormously from gerrymandering, but they've also benefited from low voter turnout, and if people feel 2016 is an election worth fighting there's a chance they'll flip some House seats. (Increases in voter turnout usually go to the Dems. This hasn't always been true, but it's been true since the modern party coalitions took shape in the 1980s and 1990s.)

The Senate is very likely to flip. 2014's Republican wave was a matter of timing more than anything else- Obama's victory in 2008 brought a lot of Democratic Senators riding on his coattails in purple or red states like South Dakota and Arkansas. Because Senators serve six-year terms, these were all up for re-election in 2014, which- no matter how well the economy was doing- is a midterm year with a Democratic-led White House and was thus going to favor the GOP. I'm not saying 2014's results were inevitable, but you'd have to imagine a very different Washington to make another result plausible.

But the flip side of that is that in 2016, all the Senators who were elected in 2010 will have to face the voters- and they're overwhelmingly a Republican group because that was the year the Tea Party took off, so they include Republican Senators in states like Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Illinois and Florida. The Dems will need to win 5 Senate seats from the GOP in 2016 to retake the Senate, and of the states that have Republican Senators up for re-election next cycle, seven voted blue in 2012.

As for the White House...if Hillary doesn't run, it's anyone's guess what happens.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:55:54 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 10:43:35 am »

... someone remind me: Is it possible that everything flips? Republican president, democrat house and senate majorities?

In theory, sure. Democrats may even good odds taking the Senate back, seeing as the Senators up for reelection in 2016 last won in 2010. However, despite the fact that the entire House of Representatives is up for reelection, the districts are probably too gerrymandered for much difference to be made.

I suppose I'll finally have to register Democrat so I can vote in the Presidential primary. Ugh.

Since when does being Republican or Independent prevent you from voting in the presidential primary?

I identify (and vote as) independent, so I get both choices available.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 10:48:24 am »

Every state has different rules.

Although, on reflection, I remembered that Nevada has caucuses instead of a primary ballot anyway, so it's likely I have no idea what I'm talking about.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:00 am »

Aren't senators appointed for life? If someone nukes the senate house during a meeting, then its still totes mcgoats possible.
No, but they rotate out in thirds, so you can't get all of them out in one election.

Your Agent Smith in a wizard hat avatar made me wonder what Tawarochir was doing in a politics thread.

(Thinly veiled PTW).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 02:39:33 pm »

In Ohio, at least, voters can only vote in the party primaries (to determine who the party candidates are to be) of one party (here, they ask you which party you intend to vote in at the polling place). The issue voting that takes place at the same time is, of course, open to all. This is to prevent things like "well, Hillary has the best shot of winning, so I'll back her, and I'll back that Joe The Plumber asshole on the other side since he's no threat."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 09:17:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:02:48 am by penguinofhonor »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:03 pm »

... As in, both senators? I assume he wouldn't be allowed to hold both senate positions. >_> Or do you mean senator and president both?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 10:09:23 pm »

Senator and President. Most states don't let you run for two offices at once because of the chance of you winning both.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 10:20:36 pm »

And while I don't think that situation has ever literally come up, I'm 99% certain you'd get legally smacked down if you did manage to win two elections at once. Characters of the American culture group have a hard demesne limit of 1.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:57 pm »

And while I don't think that situation has ever literally come up, I'm 99% certain you'd get legally smacked down if you did manage to win two elections at once. Characters of the American culture group have a hard demesne limit of 1.

Though as a tradeoff, they can swap for equivalent titles in different fiefs with a greatly reduced penalty.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »

Not quite the same thing, but wasn't Huey Long at one point both Senator and Governor of Louisiana?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 12:34:49 pm »

Louisiana has a wierd political system though I believe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 1342