Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1454028 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #690 on: March 06, 2015, 01:40:59 pm »

At one point Pakistan told us we were done with drone strikes, because of all the civilian casualties among the tribes we were causing, and we pretty much went "Heh, ok" and continued doing it.

Or to put it a different way:

At one point Pakistan government members did some public grandstanding against the drone strikes for the sake of domestic politics.  However they didn't actually take measures to change their relationship with the US.  When token concessions were offered the Pakistani government members leapt to accept them.  After Pakistan got these token concessions (more information sharing) the US government went back to attacking the enemies of the same Pakistani government politicians who made the fuss.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 06, 2015, 01:43:01 pm »

But this is all irrelevant to the election though, because no American candidate campaigns on foreign policy; the electorate at large just doesn't give a fuck. This would probably fit better in the ISIS thread.

Despite the Republicans bringing Netanyahu over here, and everyone beating their chest about being friends of Israel or not, supporting attacking Iran or not, this has nothing do with American foreign policy as it relates to elections?

It has no impact in that both parties take the same stance, excluding some semantics.

It will be a talking point come the election, so it's going to be relevant to the discussion regardless of what the outcome is. I'd also argue the reaction to Netanyahu's visit pretty clearly shows that both parties do not take the same stance toward Israel. Yes, we all "support" Israel, and if that's where the talking stopped I'd agree with you it doesn't matter one way or another. But "support" has a different connotations beyond just continuing to provide funding. It's now whether supporting Israel means torpedoing our own diplomatic advances, or not.

I'm just going to let what NFO said lie where it lays.

At one point Pakistan told us we were done with drone strikes, because of all the civilian casualties among the tribes we were causing, and we pretty much went "Heh, ok" and continued doing it.

Or to put it a different way:

At one point Pakistan government members did some public grandstanding against the drone strikes for the sake of domestic politics.  However they didn't actually take measures to change their relationship with the US.  When token concessions were offered the Pakistani government members leapt to accept them.  After Pakistan got these token concessions (more information sharing) the US government went back to attacking the enemies of the same Pakistani government politicians who made the fuss.

So you're in the "allies don't actually care about their own constituents, they just want dat sweet US monies" camp I take it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 06, 2015, 01:50:20 pm »

So you're in the "allies don't actually care about their own constituents, they just want dat sweet US monies" camp I take it?

I am in the camp that for a variety of reasons the Pakistani government wanted to keep the status quo but they saw a chance to score some easy political points.  Since it cost the US nothing, the American government was happy to find an agreement that would give the Pakistanis the chest puffing they wanted.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 06, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »

OP checking in here. Pretty much any US political discussion, or reasonable tangents thereto, is fine. The alternative this far from the election is thread death, and there's no reason to have competing US politics threads.

Oh, fair enough then.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:39 pm »

Why do you think Pashtun tribesmen harboring Taliban are 'constituents' to Pakistan's junta?   Pakistan is using the US to kill malcontents that it wants dead anyway.  We don't need to bribe regressive military juntas to kill Islamic supremacists.  The US doesn't need to do anything to make regressive cultists and extant rulers want to kill each other.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »

Why do you think Pashtun tribesmen harboring Taliban are 'constituents' to Pakistan's junta?   Pakistan is using the US to kill malcontents that it wants dead anyway.  We don't need to bribe regressive military juntas to kill Islamic supremacists.  The US doesn't need to do anything to make regressive cultists and extant rulers want to kill each other.

If the formula were that simple, we wouldn't be there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 06, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »

I think "constituents" in this regard referred more to the collateral damage rather than the targets. And saying that *all* the Pashtun in the NWFP are targets because *some* of them are aligned with the Taliban is a bit overzealous and simplistic.

Moveover some of the Taliban *are* constituents of elements of the Pakistani government, specifically the ISI. Or more specifically parts of the ISI. Nobody in that part of the world is completely an enemy or an ally. In many ways, Central Asia is one of the most pragmatic places on Earth. The downside is that pragmatism tends to manifest as "stabbing people in the back when opportune and switching sides to whoever has the upper hand".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »

Alaska may, amazingly, have produced a politician more moronic than Sarah Palin.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #698 on: March 06, 2015, 07:55:32 pm »

...Well, then.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:50 pm »

... poorly chose placement, perhaps, but that looks like it was actually a pretty decent bit of hyperbole. I think Loud Whispers might have liked it -- it's specifically in reference to the (perceived, from Young's perspective) danger of cultivating a wolf population and in response to curtailing (or attempting to, anyway) Alaskan efforts to keep their wolf population suppressed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 06, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

Alaska may, amazingly, have produced a politician more moronic than Sarah Palin.

Hard to tell if he's being serious or is sarcastic. In context it seems pretty sarcastic, and the article does say that he has 'a salty tougne'.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #701 on: March 06, 2015, 08:48:12 pm »

I hope it's sarcastic. Cause if that's serious it's the dumbest thing I've seen all week. Forget the idea that wolves would go traipsing into human population centers, let's consider for a moment the likely outcome of an encounter between wolves and homeless people. You know what I see happening? Those homeless people are having wolf for supper, that's what.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 06, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »

Well I'd like to see your plan to solve homelessness.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 06, 2015, 08:58:53 pm »

Not to mention that wolves wouldn't know the difference between homeless and not-homeless.

Besides, even if it does get homeless off the street, it completely ignores the cause behind the homelessness problrm.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 06, 2015, 09:03:21 pm »

Well I'd like to see your plan to solve homelessness.
Bears.

EDIT: To be clear, we give the homeless bear-taming lessons and free bears. Soon, they will have the strength to seize homes for themselves.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1342