Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453532 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6540 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10:07 am »

That's the problem with plotting at that level: it's damned hard to conclusively prove anything, both because most of it goes on in (as MSH said) personal conversations in secure locations, and because the people involved have personal resources sufficient to bury mountains of actual evidence. Nixon only got caught because he was incredibly fucking sloppy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: November 16, 2015, 05:21:02 am »

Why doesn't the OP mention Ben Carson at all?

It hasn't been updated since mid-august. Still says "Jeb Bush" is the front runner... obviously in need of some updating.

Uh, yeah. I need to get on that. I've just been...extraordinarily unproductive recently. It just isn't a great time right now.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: November 16, 2015, 07:37:50 am »

Perhaps someone else (not it!) could whip up a new OP, and then FellowJacobite there can inject it into the... uh... OP?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: November 16, 2015, 02:13:56 pm »

ISIS release video threatening Paris-style attacks in Washington D.C.

CNN responds by pulling out the big font and flashing red/white letters. But let's not panic or anything.

The ironic part is that the people who will most invoke fear and panic over this are the ones who have talked about how wonderful it would be if Washington fell into the Potomac.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: November 16, 2015, 02:17:46 pm »

I can't imagine that will end well, but for a somewhat different reason...you know there'll be armed bands of roving hillbillies wandering around Washington to 2nd Amendment any suspected ISIS attackers.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: November 16, 2015, 02:20:04 pm »

I can't imagine that will end well, but for a somewhat different reason...you know there'll be armed bands of roving hillbillies wandering around Washington to 2nd Amendment any swarthy people.
FTFY

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: November 16, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »

The GOP found another reason to threaten a government shutdown:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/gop-lawmakers-syria-refugees-215936

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: November 16, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »

The more I hear things like that the more it sounds like they forgot how to do other things besides threaten a shutdown on any topic they fancy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »

The more I hear things like that the more it sounds like they forgot how to do other things besides threaten a shutdown on any topic they fancy.
Heh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: November 16, 2015, 08:00:54 pm »

It's because the conservatives who usually do the shutdown thing are under the impression that the last shutdown was a good idea cut short by Boehner and McConnell, and that Republicans didn't get any political heat over it. Therefore, they think it was a good idea, and are thus convinced of its efficacy in bringing both the democrats and the leadership to the table.

In reality, it was a political shot-in-the-foot and the republican leadership caved to reason, and only the start of the Obamacare complaints (remember those? it's been a while) eclipsed the issue.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:02:26 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: November 16, 2015, 08:02:01 pm »

Well, yeah. Why bother working to solve problems when you can hold the country hostage until you get your way?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: November 16, 2015, 09:28:46 pm »

What I find interesting is that several Democrats are on board or at least concerned as well, reinforcing the idea that political understanding of statistics is about as worthless as that of the people they serve.

I mean, assume every single Syrian refugee is an ISIS suicide commando, and that 5 operatives can together kill 150 people. That's 10,000 enemy agents, or 2,000 cells, leading to a total death toll of 300,000 people. Not exactly flattering, but still only a little over a 10% increase in total fatalities for 2013 assuming every single individual is a highly effective terrorist. Plug in anywhere near reasonable numbers, and we're back to the usual of "three people died this one time, so we need sweeping national policy changes."

And admittedly, the situation here's a little more grim because "don't settle refugees" or "investigate refugees a little better" is easier than "cut heart disease related mortalities in half," so if you are concerned about American fatalities this could be a pretty simple way to cut back. But unless these refugees are very frequently and effectively hostile, we're still probably well within the statistical risk levels of some really stupid, trivial ways to die.

Oh also, I really wanted an opportunity to post this without shitposting too badly:
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: November 16, 2015, 09:41:21 pm »

Fun fact: So far this year, a French person has almost as high a chance of dying due to ISIS as an American has of dying due to a police officer.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: November 16, 2015, 09:44:06 pm »

Fun fact: So far this year, a French person has almost as high a chance of dying due to ISIS as an American has of dying due to a police officer.
To be fair, most of the police officer deaths were because the "victim" was attacking said police officer.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6554 on: November 16, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »

To be fair, most of the police officer deaths were because the "victim" was attacking said police officer.
What are the stats on police brutality?
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1342