Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453890 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6570 on: November 17, 2015, 10:19:43 pm »

...The Counted isn't just official police data, though. They also crowdsource, so, as long as the fatality is somewhere in the news, somebody'll report it. In theory, anyway.

If the fatality is in the news then it's been reported, and the police have provided information about the incident. You're going off the police's version pretty much any time there's no actual camera pointed at the event (and when there is, it's not unknown to catch them planting a weapon). Whether "The Counted" is compiled directly from police data or from second-hand news is not a relevant bit of information, since the news almost always go off the police's account.

You can say "but eye witnesses will contradict the police if they lie about a suspect being armed!". Maybe, perhaps occassionally ... but eye witnesses have been around since the dawn of time and that never stopped the police faking the evidence before, as cited by Fox's legal expert who used to work for a DA's office.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:23:35 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: November 17, 2015, 10:27:01 pm »

Now he shall ascend to his true form and consume every Louisianian body and soul, as was foretold in the prophecies of our ancestors.
As long as he makes a good roux first, dem Louisianians is good eatin'.

Wonder where Jindal's supporters (all two of them) will turn to now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:31 pm »

Yeah, I was surprised that his comment on wanting to remove ALL subsidies during that debate didn't tank him in Iowa and other states with large agricultural industries.
Maybe they think he'll build pyramids for them.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: November 17, 2015, 10:43:33 pm »

Now he shall ascend to his true form and consume every Louisianian body and soul, as was foretold in the prophecies of our ancestors.
As long as he makes a good roux first, dem Louisianians is good eatin'.

Wonder where Jindal's supporters (all two of them) will turn to now.

You mean all two percent? Good one though.

As for who, according to this: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_IA_110215.pdf Carson and Cruz will probably get a bunch, otherwise seems like they'd mostly scatter to the winds.

Edit: Although if anybodys base is going to scatter to the winds, it'd probably be Carson and Trump, with Rubio and Cruz getting sizeable chunks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:51:14 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: November 17, 2015, 11:26:44 pm »

NYT has a good article wherein a couple of Ben Carson's policy advisers are pretty freakin' blunt that Carson just doesn't get foreign policy. That would be a major problem is most election cycles, it's going to be a killer when you have ISIS suddenly thrown to the forefront of issues.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:53 pm »

... will it, though? A fair amount of his voting base don't really care about foreign policy beyond killing terrorists, so far as I'm aware. There's probably a good chunk of policy gaffes they'd actually cheer for, providing it got more foreign blood spilled...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: November 17, 2015, 11:40:21 pm »

Yeah but I get the feeling this wouldn't be so much "inadvisable foreign policy decisions" like invading Syria so much as "WTF foreign policy decisions" like ordering the US Sixth Fleet to Siracusa because he got it mixed up with Syria.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: November 17, 2015, 11:54:13 pm »

This week, Mr. Carson’s advisers said that his source for claiming Chinese involvement in Syria was a telephone conversation he had had with a freelance American intelligence operative in Iraq.

my sides

help

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:57 am »

Yeah, his everything on policy has an air of cluelessness, and being clueless/inept is probably worse than making inadvisable decisions.

This week, Mr. Carson’s advisers said that his source for claiming Chinese involvement in Syria was a telephone conversation he had had with a freelance American intelligence operative in Iraq.

my sides

help

And possibly even more gullible than G. W. Bush.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: November 18, 2015, 12:30:56 am »

Yeah, his everything on policy has an air of cluelessness, and being clueless/inept is probably worse than making inadvisable decisions.
There is a definite portion of the American public that would prefer an honest buffoon to a dishonest genius. Hell, on my bad days I sometimes declare myself to be one of them.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:24 am »

Carsons foreign policy aide:

Mr. Clarridge, described by Mr. Carson’s top adviser, Armstrong Williams, as “a mentor for Dr. Carson,” is a colorful, even legendary figure in intelligence circles, someone who could have stepped out of a Hollywood thriller. He was a longtime C.I.A. officer, serving undercover in India, Turkey, Italy and other countries, and sprinkles his remarks with salty language. During the Reagan administration, he helped found the agency’s Counterterrorism Center and ran the C.I.A.’s Latin American division.

Ack, do we really want the guy who ran the CIA's latin American division during the Reagan years whispering how to do things into the presidents ear? I think not. He's almost certainly someone who was involved in the iran/contra gun running and terrorist activities but managed to cover his ass. Oh yeah, Oliver North did all the illegal stuff and the head of the CIA's latin American division knew nothing about it ... gotcha!

Also, the vast evidence of not just gun running, but drug running backed by CIA agents at the time that guy was running the show:
https://oig.justice.gov/special/9712/
The Mercury News resurrected allegations made by former DEA agent Celerino Castillo that in the 1980s Ilopango Airport in El Salvador was used by Contras to facilitate drug smuggling flights with the knowledge and complicity of the CIA. Castillo also alleged that most of the Contras' funding came from drug trafficking and that his attempts to investigate Contra drug smuggling were stymied by DEA management, the U.S. Embassy in El Salvador, and the CIA. Castillo wrote in a book that when he was a DEA agent assigned to cover El Salvador from 1986 to 1990, he documented drug flights out of the Ilopango Airport in El Salvador and sent this information to DEA Headquarters, but that no action was taken.
Yeah, the temptation is to shout "conspiracy theory" here, but the source is the Bureau of Justice's own website, and they are citing direct allegations from a DEA official who basically claims he saw all this going on first-hand.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:51:18 am by Reelya »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: November 18, 2015, 02:12:22 am »

Hillary Clinton - Fuckup being investigated by the FBI
Ben Carson - Lying Theocrat
Bernie Sanders - Fukkin' Commie
Donald Trump - Egotistical Asshole

Dear god, this election is going to be awful.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:56 am »

Hillary Clinton - Fuckup being investigated by the FBI

I can't remember which politician in the 90s said something along the lines of "We dont need to catch him doing anything wrong.  We just need to get him deny doing any wrongdoing on TV."  There is some good quote out there.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: November 18, 2015, 03:18:13 am »

I've heard a sourceless story about... Lyndon Johnson, I think? Supposedly when he was running in some election or another, he told his staff to spread a rumor (or tell the local news station, or something) that his rival had had sex with a pig. When they pointed out that wasn't true, he replied with "I know, I just want to hear him deny it."

Not a catchy self contained quote, but an amusing illustration of the idea.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: November 18, 2015, 05:20:14 am »

Is this still about that email thing? Because you all know that she did that when there were no laws or rules against it, and that it was fairly normal practice at the time, right?

I could have sworn that there was something about it not being legal to prosecute someone for committing a crime that only became a crime after the fact, but I'm sure it was in some old bit of useless information that nobody cares about any more.

Not that I like Clinton. I didn't particularly like Obama as anything but the least evil, but I still voted for him over her. Sanders or Bust.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1342