Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453752 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6585 on: November 18, 2015, 06:33:34 am »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: November 18, 2015, 06:41:05 am »

Wrong. Flat out wrong.

There WERE rules against it. She did it anyway.

The article states that State Department sensitive business isn't supposed to be handled over emails.  But I was stuck in a lobby for two hours watching the Bengazi hearings and I recall the republicans going on and on and on about how Clinton didn't have any emails to ambassadors at all in her emails.  And Clinton kept repeating that she used diplomatic cables to talk to ambassadors during the debate.

As we can see this is the most damning, important case of corruption all the way to the top since the Vince Foster case.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: November 18, 2015, 06:52:58 am »

Which would be a nice rebuttle, if it were true.

Sadly, it is not.

(apologies for the biased nature of the source.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:01:24 am by wierd »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: November 18, 2015, 07:16:35 am »

Which would be a nice rebuttle, if it were true.

Sadly, it is not.

(apologies for the biased nature of the source.)

I'm not seeing evidence, I'm seeing hearsay from a blatantly biased source.

"No seriously, I swear that I saw emails that proved that she violated the rule!" "Investigators totally found some as well!"

A Fox anchor and his guest claiming something to be so does not make it so, especially when the person they're targeting happens to be their opposition's main presidential candidate.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:18:31 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:41 am »

again, apologies. I was at work, and did not have time to properly find a truly reliable/reputable source. I can fix that now. A few mins, ok?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: November 18, 2015, 07:30:15 am »

Why do people feel in a rush to post? The threads not going anywhere.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: November 18, 2015, 07:31:13 am »

Yeah, I mean, if you post a couple hours later with an actual source, that's a lot better than posting right now with an empty soundbite.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: November 18, 2015, 07:50:15 am »

Well, the guy in the ambassador thing says "thanks for making the calls" implying she'd used phone conversations to negotiate, not email. And I kinds doubt that sort of thing is national security critical information. If the country involved, Brazil found out there was some behind the scenes politics involved in selecting the US ambassador to Brazil, I can't see one reason they'd give the first fuck about it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:52:41 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: November 18, 2015, 07:52:24 am »

Communication through a 3rd party via email, is still communication via email.

I am going to dig through the FOIA collection. Be back in a bit.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: November 18, 2015, 08:26:35 am »

Interesting OpEd article.

I think there should be more than one presidential advisor position that is a historian, but then again, presidents will probably just fill the position(s) with those that have views in line with their own.

I'm definitely a big fan of learning and understanding history, but the old cliché about learning or repeating history isn't an especially great one. When it comes to to looking at history's lens to figure out future decisions, it's commonly a matter of finding an answer, then building evidence when you're done (like it's literary criticism or something).
Getting into a long, bloody, slogging war to defend a reasonably corrupt southeastern Asian country from the communists is either a great idea or a terrible idea, depending if you're talking about Korea or Vietnam.

Historic analysis allows one to come up with all kinds of ridiculous conclusions, like America is only successful when its military leadership is made up of officers with well known personal defects.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: November 18, 2015, 08:29:14 am »

I am starting this now, at 7:13AM CST---

First runner-up, is a communication requesting a change in clearance for a statement from H Clinton concerning detained american citizens in Iran. While it had several permissive clearances, it was not at the time of the email, fully declassified.

Spoiler: Message body (click to show/hide)

Next up, concerning a situation with N. Korea, details of a phone conversation are discussed in an email with H Clinton, which may be considered sensitive.

Next up, An aide emails H Clinton concerning an upcoming surprise visitation by a foreign diplomat, with a date, and a (redacted) list of other officials that will be in attendance. (This is dangerous, as if it were intercepted by say-- terrorists, would provide grounds for a possible assassination attempt, et.)

Spoiler: message body (click to show/hide)

In that same vein, aids seeking advisement on a secretary's desire to go shopping while on diplomatic duties in Haiti.

This one is particularly interesting, because basically the whole message body is redacted.

Similar with this one...

So, at least two emails have contained classified information so far, and I am only on page 6 out of 800 something.

Should I continue digging?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: November 18, 2015, 08:32:13 am »

Getting into a long, bloody, slogging war to defend a reasonably corrupt southeastern Asian country from the communists is either a great idea or a terrible idea, depending if you're talking about Korea or Vietnam.

Historic analysis allows one to come up with all kinds of ridiculous conclusions, like America is only successful when its military leadership is made up of officers with well known personal defects.
Eh, Korea isn't exactly South-East Asia :P

But yeah, cherrypicking is pretty much unavoidable when looking at historical precedent: It all comes down to the judgement whether the current situation is reasonably close to a given historical one. Also, obligatory xkcd.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: November 18, 2015, 08:38:26 am »

So, at least two emails have contained classified information so far, and I am only on page 6 out of 800 something.

B-but she didn't do anything wrong, I heard that on MSNBC :^)
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:03 am »

I am starting this now, at 7:13AM CST---

First runner-up, is a communication requesting a change in clearance for a statement from H Clinton concerning detained american citizens in Iran. While it had several permissive clearances, it was not at the time of the email, fully declassified.

Next up, concerning a situation with N. Korea, details of a phone conversation are discussed in an email with H Clinton, which may be considered sensitive.

Next up, An aide emails H Clinton concerning an upcoming surprise visitation by a foreign diplomat, with a date, and a (redacted) list of other officials that will be in attendance. (This is dangerous, as if it were intercepted by say-- terrorists, would provide grounds for a possible assassination attempt, et.)

In that same vein, aids seeking advisement on a secretary's desire to go shopping while on diplomatic duties in Haiti.

This one is particularly interesting, because basically the whole message body is redacted.

Similar with this one...

So, let's summarize:
1. A technicality, regarding a paragraph without sensitive information.
2. "May be considered sensitive" my arse. Same as before, literally "We are asking them to release the prisoners," which even a braindead chimp could guess was happening.
3. TIL "first week in May" is a date. This is the closest you've come, but it's minor at best.
4. "We should not take the trip on April 19th." Oh, good, so the terrorists can narrow it down to a mere eight and a half months in the year!  ::)
5., 6. "Literally nothing is unclassified here, it must be something good!"

By all means, if you wish to continue making mountains, call back your moles and get to work. This scandal won't manufacture itself, after all.

Interesting OpEd article.

I think there should be more than one presidential advisor position that is a historian, but then again, presidents will probably just fill the position(s) with those that have views in line with their own.

I'm definitely a big fan of learning and understanding history, but the old cliché about learning or repeating history isn't an especially great one. When it comes to to looking at history's lens to figure out future decisions, it's commonly a matter of finding an answer, then building evidence when you're done (like it's literary criticism or something).

Maybe if the person doing the analysis is a complete incompetent who doesn't understand causation. To be fair, there a lot of idiots exactly like that in the world. *shrugs*

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1342