Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453673 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6675 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:18 am »

Trump self-Godwins.

NEWTON, Iowa — Donald J. Trump, who earlier in the week said he was open to requiring Muslims in the United States to register in a database, said on Thursday night that he “would certainly implement that — absolutely.”
Asked later, as he signed autographs, how such a database would be different from Jews having to register in Nazi Germany, Mr. Trump repeatedly said, “You tell me,” until he stopped responding to the question.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: November 20, 2015, 09:36:01 am »

"Dude you're basically a Nazi."
"Yeah pretty much."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: November 20, 2015, 10:30:51 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: November 20, 2015, 10:31:49 am »

She's not winning anyone over with crap like this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: November 20, 2015, 11:31:51 am »

Isn't "illegal Mexicans" short for "everyone from south and central America" though?
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: November 20, 2015, 11:36:58 am »

also ironic http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/11/20/456680690/if-americans-move-to-canada-to-avoid-refugees-they-may-get-a-surprise

Heh, while I understand the reason behind the reaction from Republicans, if our friends to the north can handle it, then I don't see why we can't. Not like our intelligence agency is inferior to Canada's.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: November 20, 2015, 12:11:28 pm »

People threaten to move to Canada on a papercut. I hardly see it as anything interesting
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: November 20, 2015, 12:30:54 pm »

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/11/20/frightened-ignorant-and-cowardly-is-no-way-to-go-through-life-son/

She's not winning anyone over with crap like this.

Ugh. Just fund top secret quantum computer research (like the Manhattan Project) and then don't tell anyone when you succeed.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: November 20, 2015, 12:53:05 pm »

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/11/20/frightened-ignorant-and-cowardly-is-no-way-to-go-through-life-son/

I think it's also (partially or wholly) due to the 'we must oppose Obama at all costs!' complex that the Republicans have had for the last seven years. I'll also note that 99% of the rhetoric and fear has been on the republican side.

Also, more-than-two-party system when? With all the divisions, this year seems like it would have been a pretty good year for a third party to gain traction, but the two parties aren't weak enough yet.

@ the Canadian and British Bay12ers: Canada and the UK have a FPTP system like the US, right? So, how do you guys manage to have thriving third parties? I know smaller population is a factor, but Americans are no less diverse than the Canadians or the British.

Edit: Now that CNN is going to use the Iowa and New Hampshire polls, I bet Jindal is facepalming right now because he's been doing pretty well in the Iowa polls. Then again, he cited cash issues as one reason why he got out.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/cnn-gop-debate-criteria-las-vegas-216106
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:04:12 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: November 20, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »

Well, in Canada, one of the big pushes this election was to change FPTP to a different system. We'll see if that comes to fruition.

That isn't changing anytime soon here. And I was wondering how you guys manage to have thriving third parties despite having a FPTP system.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: November 20, 2015, 01:08:03 pm »

I think it's also (partially or wholly) due to the 'we must oppose Obama at all costs!' complex that the Republicans have had for the last seven years. I'll also note that 99% of the rhetoric and fear has been on the republican side.

I'd give you 65 at the most.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: November 20, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »

Well, in Canada, one of the big pushes this election was to change FPTP to a different system. We'll see if that comes to fruition.

That isn't changing anytime soon here. And I was wondering how you guys manage to have thriving third parties despite having a FPTP system.

While unfortunately I don't actually live in Canada, I can say that Canada has always been particularly unusual with its politics.
Hahaha. No.

Functional multiparty systems are actually far more common than two-party systems, and they grow out of any even remotely healthy system. The better question is how the US has managed to destroy any chances they have at a multiparty system.

If you're going to spread democracy to the world the least you could do is have a functional one of your own.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: November 20, 2015, 02:20:47 pm »

Yeah, that'd be a good question, you'd probably have to go back to the Civil War era and a few decades before. Though there was a real proliferation of third parties around the Civil War era.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1342