Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453860 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9555 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:35 pm »

State of the Union address streaming on C-Span right now
I am not going to watch, but somebody please let me know if he says the "I" word
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:57 pm »

I am not going to watch, but somebody please let me know if he says the "I" word
Indigo? Impetigo? Inconceivable?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: January 12, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »

He mentioned parts of central america potentially becoming a safe haven for terrorists or something, what even is he talking about there?
The area's... kinda' unstable in places, smj. Mexico's basically in the middle of a civil war, ferex, which is what I'd guess he was obliquely speaking of. Future's looking fairly bright (at least economically) for much of south/central america, but the present's still a bit rough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:31 pm »

He mentioned parts of central america potentially becoming a safe haven for terrorists or something, what even is he talking about there?
The area's... kinda' unstable in places, smj. Mexico's basically in the middle of a civil war, ferex, which is what I'd guess he was obliquely speaking of. Future's looking fairly bright (at least economically) for much of south/central america, but the present's still a bit rough.

Yeah I know, it's just that you don't usually equate the drug cartels with terrorism and he mentioned it right after mentioning Pakistan and a few other places in the MidEast. So, I was wondering what he was talking about with Central America potentially becoming a safe haven for the likes of ISIS.

Like Powder Miner said though, Central America isn't friendly territory for the likes of ISIS
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:21:54 pm by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: January 12, 2016, 10:18:41 pm »

Seemed pretty standard.  Basically "We need to stop extremists, and I have made progress doing so.  Also, it actually makes things harder when people assume all Muslims are extremists."
I don't think he used the word "Islamist" at all.  Or "immigrants", that I recall (though I was distracted).  Certainly didn't discuss Shariah law or the Koran.  Didn't claim a false equivalency between Islam and Christianity though, so that's good.

...  And he did call out the gay marriage triumph early on, which felt nice.  Even though it's being shit on and all.
Feels a lot like when Clinton called it out in the first debate, which I later heard was something she has no solid record on.  But, I guess she has a tendency for flip-flopping.  Which is a shame...  I'd love to vote for a vicious progressive, but she's just vicious.

Heck I'd love to have a republican candidate I could consider voting for, but they all hate what I am.  Of course.  The two parties really are very different, even if they're both shit.
I would consider voting for Rand Paul, but yeah.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:20:38 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: January 12, 2016, 10:30:45 pm »

Nikki Haley's response sounds a bit like a stump speech to court the public for potential VP. Then again, that might just be bias on my part. edit: part of it was anyway.

Also, blinkity blinkity blink blink. Maybe it's the bright light or something *shrug*
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:33:16 pm by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:13 pm »

Holy crap how did they find this dumbass commenter
"So I loved Obama just because he's black and I'm black, "just being honest wit you", but Obama sucks and isn't pushing black people internationally enough"
He kept snorting too
If I was a republican I couldn't possibly come up with a better false flag.

And if he was for real, shit...  The screeners really screwed up.  Or, whatever.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: January 12, 2016, 10:57:37 pm »

"So I loved Obama just because he's black and I'm black, "just being honest wit you", but Obama sucks and isn't pushing black people internationally enough"
He kept snorting too

And if he was for real, shit...  The screeners really screwed up.  Or, whatever.

What channel are you talking about?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: January 12, 2016, 10:58:43 pm »

Nikki Haley's response sounds a bit like a stump speech to court the public for potential VP. Then again, that might just be bias on my part. edit: part of it was anyway.

Also, blinkity blinkity blink blink. Maybe it's the bright light or something *shrug*
Well, wasn't it Jindal's response to a SotU that brought him to prominence? Or was that the one where everyone thought he sounded like Kenneth from 30 Rock?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: January 12, 2016, 11:04:45 pm »

He kept snorting too

What channel are you talking about?
I'm listening on C-Span radio, he was the first (or second?) commenter calling in to C-Span afterwards.
Also they got an atheist commenter, basically pointing out that we get no airtime lol.
Then huh, just now heard the last commenter - a right-leaning gay man.  Complimented the pomp and circumstance lol

I think I forgot how stereotypical people can be in real life.  No wonder I prefer being online, where people are people.

C-Span radio is doing a repeat of the address now, just started a minute ago.
She/they

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: January 12, 2016, 11:11:07 pm »

I may or may not have yelled at the TV a bit during Nikki Haley's response.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:11 pm »

I may or may not have yelled at the TV a bit during Nikki Haley's response.

On what parts? lol

Well, wasn't it Jindal's response to a SotU that brought him to prominence? Or was that the one where everyone thought he sounded like Kenneth from 30 Rock?

It probably did make him a bit more known.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:40 pm »

I would have been more mad if those parts had been at all surprising.  Instead it was just a sickening reminder that there's no actual choice.  The Republican Party has decided that extremism and sabotaging the government is the best way into power.  I have great respect for individual Republicans, but only one of them is running (and only because "multi-party system" is a joke of a pretense in America).

The leader in the polls is an absolute madman.  I literally have trouble believing he's an actual candidate.  He doesn't even pretend to have substance, only moxie.  This is practically the Juggalo President option.
Funny story, at my university we had student government elections, and one guy realized it was legal to run in a mask under a pseudonym.  He called himself the Pirate Captain and dressed appropriately.  He pointed out that the normal candidates he ran against had accomplished basically nothing, and promised to shake things up.
He won by a landside.  Nothing new got done, partially because we literally elected a fucking joke, but at least we had fun with it.

The second-up (19 vs 35) Ted Cruz seems okay on some things, but wants to establish a flat tax and abolish the IRS.  Seriously.  He also wants to regress gay marriage back to a state issue, which I guess is the best you can expect from these guys.

Marco Rubio...  Actually, hell, maybe this one wouldn't be so bad.  Yeah he wants to end Obamacare, which sucks.  But he's willing to let me marry, even though he doesn't like it (thanks).  And he wants to ban abortions after 20 weeks, but that doesn't sound so bad from a republican...
Of course I'd have to ignore the recent ad where he promotes Christianity as his and the nation's foremost priority.  Probably just pandering.  Fuck's sake though, Catholic John Kennedy had the patriotism to shake the Pope's hand rather than kiss his ring.  I wish these republicans had the same balls.

Ben Carson is almost as much a joke as Trump, but he's black so the republicans aren't voting for him.  He's a literal brain surgeon yet his talking points are creationism and a tax based on TITHING, JESUS CHRIST.  I preferred the Sim City tax plan from that other guy last election.

Next is Jeb Bush at... 4.7 percent?  Yeah I'm done.
She/they

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: January 13, 2016, 01:00:28 am »

Carson has been dropping with no sign of slowing down, in fact, he's pretty much DoA at this point in either Iowa or New Hampshire. I don't know about the 'Republicans won't vote for him because he's black' bit, after all, he was a significant competitor to Trump before his own ignorance and cluelessness brought him down.

And yeah, tithing, the heck is up with that? I'd refuse to pay some church tax, which is what tithing is.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: January 13, 2016, 01:17:37 am »

Specifically, it's a system based on tithing, not tithing overall. Apparently, it's a loophole-less flat tax rate.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1342