Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453628 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #12540 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:16 pm »

Was reading some stuff today and I decided I wanted to make another Clinton fanwank.  People say that Clinton is too close to the financial industry.  This is not what too close to the financial industry looks like:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=96569
https://www.congress.gov/bill/110th-congress/senate-bill/2114

This is what too close to the financial industry looks like:
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2011/11/3971362/bloomberg-plain-and-simple-congress-caused-mortgage-crisis-not-bank

Selling out in american politics doesn't happen through subtle crypto stances.  A politician can loudly and proudly declare their fealty to wall street and still be called a centrist.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »

So they created this absurd notion that reform would have happened eventually.  It wasn't happening.  The slaveholders were growing more unyeilding in their demands before the war, the institution was getting more brutal and even more inefficient.  The radical republicans were 100% on the nose right, you needed to break the political power of the slaveowning class.
Hmm, substitute "Wall Street"/financial industry for slaveowners, and you have a fair description of the split in the Democratic party right now -- reformers vs. radicals.

@mainiac: So you linked to a bill that went absolutely nowhere as proof of Hill's reformer cred? Especially one that basically says "Well, the financial industry might been the ones to fuck property values in the ass and make your home worth less than the mortgage you have on it....but we're here to help negotiate you a new 40-year mortgage so you can still keep paying the financial industry."

IMHO, it's the equivalent of seeing someone getting assraped and offering them a tube of KY as assistance. Better than nothing but still doesn't stop the trauma or punish the guilty.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:18:15 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: February 24, 2016, 01:16:17 pm »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/02/duncan-hunter-endorses-donald-trump-219725?lo=ut_a1

DUUUUNNNNNCCCCCAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

He is my congressional representative btw, I live in the district he represents :P To be fair, I've voted against him....

Ugh. Not surprised, though, that guy sucks. I'm sorry you're stuck in his district.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:21 pm »

The problem is that living in a burning house generally doesn't leave you in much of a condition to rebuild. Unless the plan is to build survival bunkers and hole up for four years, emerging only after Trump's supporters have turned on each other in a frenzy of Murrica after running out of "other" people to hate.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: February 24, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »

The real problem is that Trump won't burn everything down. He'll just tick off the rest of the world, do a bunch of stupid stuff that makes life worse for most people, and set himself up to make even more money when his term is up.

He's not going to burn the house down, he's just going to break some stuff, fill the place with cigar fumes while laughing at anyone who objects, puke on a few things, and then ransack the refrigerator for snacks before stumbling out the door in the morning.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: February 24, 2016, 01:39:40 pm »

This is why I say that we should hand it all over to Trump; the absurdity of a Trump presidency plus the horrors of the things that he will accomplish in office should be enough to either scare people enough to be willing to allow sweeping reforms with the next president. That, or he'll burn this whole place down and we can start over fresh.

This didn't work out so well for the people who thought this about Hitler. :-\
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: February 24, 2016, 01:41:11 pm »

Thanks for the input, Godwin.  :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:02 pm »

Harry Reid endorses Clinton. This is breaking news on par with "the Sun come up this morning" or "Somewhere, a bird is pooping on a car."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:41 pm »

The problem is that living in a burning house generally doesn't leave you in much of a condition to rebuild. Unless the plan is to build survival bunkers and hole up for four years, emerging only after Trump's supporters have turned on each other in a frenzy of Murrica after running out of "other" people to hate.
Look, if The Donald wins there was never any path to good reform, it just demonstrates that humanity is too fucked. In that instance the right thing to do is to party to death.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: February 24, 2016, 01:50:18 pm »

As someone with two young kids, I'm less sanguine about trashing their future.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: February 24, 2016, 01:52:53 pm »

Your children's future lies in the teachings of the famous documentary The Road Warrior. Teach them to take from the weak and revel amongst the strong, and everything will work out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: February 24, 2016, 02:02:43 pm »

"Now son, I know things look bad and we had to cook your stuffed animals to make a cellulose paste approximating food. But remember, when you grow up, you will be shiny and gold and ride with Immortan Don in Vegas."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:08:08 pm by RedKing »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: February 24, 2016, 02:08:08 pm »

@mainiac: So you linked to a bill that went absolutely nowhere as proof of Hill's reformer cred?

Whereas Sanders cred is established... by a bunch of proposals that went even less far?

The point is that the people who wanted to let Wall Street off the hook had a convenient cop out.  Say that it was the well-intentioned by misguided government trying to help those poors.  Pretend that was what happened and you not only justify inaction, you retroactively let yourself off the hook.  The danger of Clinton being too close to wall street is that she would buy into the stories that are convenient to the people around her.  That she didn't do that with regards to wall street 8 years ago means it's very unlikely she will start believing such things now.

The real problem

I think the real problem is that highly unorthodox things are inherently hard to predict. The range of Trump outcomes spans literally hitler to surprisingly productive.  There is good reason to be pessimistic but you can't confidently say what will happen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:13:58 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: February 24, 2016, 02:12:42 pm »

@mainiac: So you linked to a bill that went absolutely nowhere as proof of Hill's reformer cred?

Whereas Sanders cred is established... by a bunch of proposals that went even less far?
A fair cop, but that only means that they're equal in that neither of them has produced any real legislative impact in Congress.

The point is that the people who wanted to let Wall Street off the hook had a convenient cop out.  It was the well-intentioned by misguided government trying to help those poors.  Pretend that was what happened and you not only justify inaction, you retroactively let yourself off the hook.
I can't even parse this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: February 24, 2016, 02:16:02 pm »

A wall street shill doesn't start with the premise that wall street is broken.  While she isn't a hivemind with Paul Krugman and Elizabeth Warren, she is starting on the same page as them.  Whereas "moderates" like Bloomberg and non-traditional candidates like Trump reject the premise that Wall Street did anything wrong.

Hmm, substitute "Wall Street"/financial industry for slaveowners, and you have a fair description of the split in the Democratic party right now -- reformers vs. radicals.

The democratic party doesn't say that it's a god given right for wall street to lie to investors and cheat borrowers.  The democratic party in 1856 said that slavery was a god given right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:20:25 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1342