Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453869 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18525 on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:09 am »

Do you not see why someone would want to avoid spontaneous unexpected exposure therapy when they're trying to watch a movie with their friends or something? What's good when performed by a psychologist is not always good.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18526 on: May 27, 2016, 10:29:58 am »

Nobody will get banned as long as LW refrains from deploying the bant against maniac. Should the deterrence of mutually assured banter finally be broken by the human thirst for self-destruction all bets are off, we might as well wipe the server then and there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18527 on: May 27, 2016, 10:31:17 am »

Do you not see why someone would want to avoid spontaneous unexpected exposure therapy when they're trying to watch a movie with their friends or something? What's good when performed by a psychologist is not always good.
I agree with this.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18528 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:07 am »

Haha, yeah sure, Clinton is just as progressive as Sanders

Where exactly did I say that?
Actually sorry, you didn't.  My bad.
I found your reply confusing and misinterpreted it through the lens of what I had been talking about.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18529 on: May 27, 2016, 10:43:26 am »

Nobody will get banned as long as LW refrains from deploying the bant against maniac. Should the deterrence of mutually assured banter finally be broken by the human thirst for self-destruction all bets are off, we might as well wipe the server then and there.
I think we should move towards non-proliferation of culturally enriched grade banter, so as to avoid a world in which one mistake may cause total mutually assured devastating banter

This may turn into an awful Hentai yet.

... What?
You best start believing you're already in one:
Former President Bill Clinton was a much more frequent flyer on a registered sex offender’s infamous jet than previously reported, with flight logs showing the former president taking at least 26 trips aboard the “Lolita Express” -- even apparently ditching his Secret Service detail for at least five of the flights, according to records obtained by FoxNews.com.
Clinton’s presence aboard Jeffrey Epstein’s Boeing 727 on 11 occasions has been reported, but flight logs show the number is more than double that, and trips between 2001 and 2003 included extended junkets around the world with Epstein and fellow passengers identified on manifests by their initials or first names, including “Tatiana.” The tricked-out jet earned its Nabakov-inspired nickname because it was reportedly outfitted with a bed where passengers had group sex with young girls.
Lmao Epstein, he called it Lolita express
You guys are gonna get Saville

Also Elijah Wood has already backed down over Pedowood
Rip in pease his acting career

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18530 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:38 am »

This convo about triggering triggers has triggered me.

Clinton’s presence aboard Jeffrey Epstein’s Boeing 727 on 11 occasions has been reported, but flight logs show the number is more than double that, and trips between 2001 and 2003 included extended junkets around the world with Epstein and fellow passengers identified on manifests by their initials or first names, including “Tatiana.” The tricked-out jet earned its Nabakov-inspired nickname because it was reportedly outfitted with a bed where passengers had group sex with young girls.
Living the life and chasing that dream.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18531 on: May 27, 2016, 10:49:51 am »

I agree with this.

Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18532 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:00 am »

I found your reply confusing and misinterpreted it through the lens of what I had been talking about.

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18533 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:48 am »

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.
Aaand sig'd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18534 on: May 27, 2016, 10:56:08 am »

I agree with this.

Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

Ah, La Petit Mort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18535 on: May 27, 2016, 10:58:44 am »

Living the life and chasing that dream.
I think it's proof that in some cases the more obvious you are the less people care, but if you try to hide it you tacitly admit wrong and people try to expose you

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18536 on: May 27, 2016, 11:28:25 am »

PTSD isn't a bad thing to look at. When someone is having trouble, the right thing is for them to work through it, not spend every July 1st demanding that no one in the neighborhood set off any fireworks.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18537 on: May 27, 2016, 11:31:06 am »

Were there trigger warnings at your last July 4th?

Damn, that Miss Typical SJW is even busier then I thought!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18538 on: May 27, 2016, 11:36:49 am »

Avoidance only reinforces PTSD. It's literally the opposite of what you should be doing to treat it.

Quote from: first article
Trigger warnings are designed to help survivors avoid reminders of their trauma, thereby preventing emotional discomfort. Yet avoidance reinforces PTSD. Conversely, systematic exposure to triggers and the memories they provoke is the most effective means of overcoming the disorder. According to a rigorous analysis by the Institute of Medicine, exposure therapy is the most efficacious treatment for PTSD, especially in civilians who have suffered trauma such as sexual assault. For example, prolonged exposure therapy, the cognitive behavioral treatment pioneered by clinical psychologists Edna B. Foa and Barbara O. Rothbaum, entails having clients close their eyes and recount their trauma in the first-person present tense. After repeated imaginal relivings, most clients experience significant reductions in PTSD symptoms, as traumatic memories lose their capacity to cause emotional distress. Working with their therapists, clients devise a hierarchy of progressively more challenging trigger situations that they may confront in everyday life. By practicing confronting these triggers, clients learn that fear subsides, enabling them to reclaim their lives and conquer PTSD.

In a controlled therapeutic setting over a period of time, desensitization can be very effective.   But it's a not a magic switch - it doesn't work right away, doesn't always work completely, and doesn't work for everyone.  So trigger warnings are still a good thing.  Not everyone with PTSD knows it (it took me a surprising amount of time to figure out what was causing my panic attacks), can get into therapy, or does well with therapy.

People with asthma often have a maintenance medication and an emergency inhaler. People with allergies have daily medications and epi-pens.  People with PTSD need therapy and also sometimes trigger warnings.  People are fine with the first 2 but not with the third for reasons that often boil down to 'it's inconvenient and also I don't like it', which isn't a reason to knock down people who are moving too slowly, succumb to road rage or drop the f-bomb at a family dinner but apparently is a good enough reason to cause panic attacks.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:42:09 am by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18539 on: May 27, 2016, 11:52:05 am »

Were there trigger warnings at your last July 4th?

Damn, that Miss Typical SJW is even busier then I thought!

I did an bing image search for "miss typical sjw"

I don't think she's a SJW. She is pretty attractive, though. (It also showed me WORDS and MEN :V) Presumably the content on the page was SJW-ey, but since the site/page is locked down so nobody can access it without a username and password...
(Google image search showed me women but nobody "bustier"*)

* yes, I deliberately misread that
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 1342