Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1309 1310 [1311] 1312 1313 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453501 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19650 on: June 15, 2016, 01:44:49 pm »

I think you only get mail basically saying the government can draft you when shit hits the fan.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19651 on: June 15, 2016, 01:45:10 pm »

It's been a while (over a decade) but don't you just have to check a checkbox or some shit to sign up for the draft?

You can sign up for the draft... but that is volunteering

Otherwise you are ALWAYS in the Draft and there are few ways out of it.

No, if you don't register, you're in violation of the law, and iirc they take that very seriously.

(You don't have to worry about the change of address thing once you age out, though)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19652 on: June 15, 2016, 01:47:21 pm »

That was arguably a concern in ancient times, it just isn't anymore.  Even if we assume it's important to continue growing more people exponentially, which I don't agree with at all, saving the womens for repopulation only works with polygamy.  Which we don't really have.
Shariah 4 USA

But seriously, it's a non-issue...  WW2 basically increased our net pop growth rate after the baby boom:
http://www.fairus.org/images/content/US_Population.jpg
Then look at France.  So many French citizens died in the world wars that it had negative growth temporarily...  But afterwards its growth rate skyrocketed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_France#/media/File:Population2Centuries.jpg
Most of those deaths in WW2 were civilians, men and women.  Yet the population recovered and then exceeded its original growth.  Because it's not about the number of women, it's the number and size of families.
Of course, selective service (draft) doesn't have to mean front line service.  There are lots of ways to serve the country, like disaster relief efforts.  Women make fine police officers, firefighters, and EMTs.  Lifting wounded people is more about triage and technique than strength...
Where's the data by gender for the casualties of France, whilst for the USA those were American men going abroad to die (wikipedia says 16 American women soldiers died in WWII for all that's worth)
You don't need marriage and family units to cause population explosions, infidelity and poverty do a hell of a better job lol

*EDIT
Might be worth looking into Soviets, because they had total total war and total casualties, and they recorded this stuff including gender
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:49:11 pm by Loud Whispers »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19653 on: June 15, 2016, 01:49:22 pm »

This is the clusterfuck of opinions I expected from the subject.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19654 on: June 15, 2016, 01:52:03 pm »

In all fairness it is in the best interest for gun companies to ALWAYS perpetuate that there is a problem with gun violence and weapon violence in the country.

Why would people buy guns in a time of peace outside a few hobbyists and crazies?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19655 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »

I mean, to register with the SSS, it can be done online. You just have to notify them of any change of address. Fairly trivial stuff.
... y'know, now that I think about it has been a long while since I registered. They didn't really have as thorough internet saturation back then, and the automation and whatnot was even more shit. Things are probably a bit easier nowadays.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19656 on: June 15, 2016, 02:11:52 pm »

Why would people buy guns in a time of peace outside a few hobbyists and crazies?

I think you underestimate the US gun hobby scene
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19657 on: June 15, 2016, 02:14:31 pm »

I think you underestimate the US gun hobby scene

So they can hide in a forest for days every year and never see a deer, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19658 on: June 15, 2016, 02:17:52 pm »

Here in Michigan (USA) there are so many deer that most patches of woods have all branches and brush below shoulder level stripped by the middle of winter. Some friends from out of state visited and wanted to know why we trim all our forests... Well, you see we have this minor deer problem...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19659 on: June 15, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »

Yeah, I don't know where you're from, but people around here (a three deer county in Ohio) usually manage to get as many as they're permitted.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19660 on: June 15, 2016, 02:23:33 pm »

The northeast.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19661 on: June 15, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »

The northeast.
Murrican God given right to sit in the forest for days without seeing a deer.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19662 on: June 15, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

It's no joke that we need deer hunting in the US. Deer were naturally kept in check by wolves, whom we almost wiped out. Even if a concerted effort were made to restore the wolf population (and that's heavily unpopular, farmers have literally attacked wolf restoration attempts, also muh baby gonna get eaten) it would still be years before they and deer could come into balance.

Hence, it falls to us, the next best killing machines.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19663 on: June 15, 2016, 03:40:01 pm »

It's no joke that we need deer hunting in the US. Deer were naturally kept in check by wolves, whom we almost wiped out. Even if a concerted effort were made to restore the wolf population (and that's heavily unpopular, farmers have literally attacked wolf restoration attempts, also muh baby gonna get eaten) it would still be years before they and deer could come into balance.

Hence, it falls to us, the next best killing machines.

Like elsewhere in the world they also likely have a lot more to eat compared to when there were wolves. I believe the increase in young forest area and farming is the main factor. Heres something I found after a quick search:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No timeline, but it could look similar to what we have: http://www.luonnontila.fi/fi/elinymparistot/metsat/me8-metsien-ikarakenne South at the left, North at the right. Amount of young forests with a lot to eat for deer species has doubled since decade ago(the total forest area very likely has remained constant within a percent or two).

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19664 on: June 15, 2016, 03:46:05 pm »

Thanks guys. I now have this image of a crazed redneck driving out to the woods thousands of miles away in the American north east in order to mow down literally thousands of deer with some massive assault rifle, while screaming "ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS!"...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 1309 1310 [1311] 1312 1313 ... 1342