Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1310 1311 [1312] 1313 1314 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1453811 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19665 on: June 15, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »

Thanks guys. I now have this image of a crazed redneck driving out to the woods thousands of miles away in the American north east in order to mow down literally thousands of deer with some massive assault rifle, while screaming "ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS!"...

Nah, rather, they eat leaves, and bushes, and crops, and then do this. Graphic content warning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Imagine what happens when you hit a thousand pounds + male moose at 50 mph.

(edit: they're also delicious  :) )

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19666 on: June 15, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »

But also, environmental concerns. Deer basically mow the continent for us with us regularly killing them, I can't speculate on how bad it would be if they were unleashed because I doubt anybody really knows how far they could balloon or how much they could eat before collapsing their population.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19667 on: June 15, 2016, 03:55:23 pm »

Thanks guys. I now have this image of a crazed redneck driving out to the woods thousands of miles away in the American north east in order to mow down literally thousands of deer with some massive assault rifle, while screaming "ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS!"...

Nah, rather, they eat leaves, and bushes, and crops, and then do this. Graphic content warning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Imagine what happens when you hit a thousand pounds + male moose at 50 mph.

But also, environmental concerns. Deer basically mow the continent for us with us regularly killing them, I can't speculate on how bad it would be if they were unleashed because I doubt anybody really knows how far they could balloon or how much they could eat before collapsing their population.

Yeah, we have that issue too over here. In South Wales, Red Deer have literally no predators, and without strict gamekeeping would grow in number exponentially causing all sorts of problems not limited to but including stripping forests bare, starving themselves, and many car crashes. As a kid, it was a right of passage to go a-yomping over the hills, tackling the young ones left when their parents would run away from the young teenagers stomping about so they could be tagged and counted. Once numbers had been established, gamekeepers would go out at a later date and carry out a selective cull (primarily with rifles), selling the meat and hides to local butchers and craftsmen. Same problem, smaller scale, different approach to keeping it in check.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19668 on: June 15, 2016, 03:57:40 pm »

IKR, all the deer here eat everything and everyone's worried to eat them in return because they might be chernobyl deer
also noguns

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19669 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »

Vast majority of deer/elk meat probably end up on dinner plates in the US too.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19670 on: June 15, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »

One huge problem with deer here is crop damage. Farmers can actually get something call a "block permit", basically a license to shoot X deer out of season, where "X" can be something like 20-60 (or more, or less). A few years ago the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) was preaching the "not enough deer" line (which pissed farmers off to no end). Then they did their customary fly-over deer count, and due to some awesome luck there was a storm right before so all the deer were on the move. The result was something like: "Oh Shit! The farmers were right! Block permits for everyone!". Needless to say, everyone who had a farm or was related to a farmer got to hunt deer all year long... There was actually something of a problem getting rid of all the meat! Its not as bad now as it was then, but block permits are still a thing on occasion.

During hunting season meatpackers do land office business, and deer meat is easy to get if you pay for tags and processing. Some people think its too gamey, but if you cook it right its just as good as beef, and a lot cheaper too!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19671 on: June 15, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »

It amuses me that farmers hate and try to wipe out both wolves and deer. No wonder our food chain got so screwed up that humans have to come in at every level and be the predator.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19672 on: June 15, 2016, 04:23:51 pm »

Wolves, despite environmentalist propaganda to the contrary, are nasty predators that can and will kill people. Maybe that has something to do with it...
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19673 on: June 15, 2016, 04:26:58 pm »

Wolves, despite environmentalist propaganda to the contrary, are nasty predators that can and will kill people. Maybe that has something to do with it...
They also eat your sheep D:<

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19674 on: June 15, 2016, 04:29:02 pm »

It's not "environmentalist propaganda", everyone knows that wolves are dangerous. Nature is dangerous. That doesn't mean we can just cut out massive sections of the ecology and expect it not to get fucked, even with our intervention.
No Gods, No Masters.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19675 on: June 15, 2016, 04:44:21 pm »

I'll tell you what, show wolves eating a moose (you know, where they start before its dead) on discovery channel and I'll stop calling it propaganda.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19676 on: June 15, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »

I'll tell you what, show wolves eating a moose (you know, where they start before its dead) on discovery channel and I'll stop calling it propaganda.
What?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19677 on: June 15, 2016, 04:48:19 pm »

A lot of hunters are actually real big on certain segments of the environmental concern trends. Land management is not an easy science at all, and the majority of outdoorsmen are (grudgingly) aware of that.

Teddy has a great quote about it, but I can't seem to find it readily.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19678 on: June 15, 2016, 04:52:23 pm »

"Walk softly and carry a big moose."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19679 on: June 15, 2016, 05:03:59 pm »

The “greatest good for the greatest number” applies to the number within the womb of time, compared to which those now alive form but an insignificant fraction. Our duty to the whole, including the unborn generations, bids us restrain an unprincipled present-day minority from wasting the heritage of these unborn generations. The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose, and method.

Looks like he basically restated this sentiment multiple ways, being a politician and all.  But in short, if we ruin the environment then we're robbing future generations.  And it's particularly bad when the destruction is just a minority (corporations/the rich) maximizing profits.

He sure did love hunting animals, and making sure there'd still be animals to hunt after he died.  It's really not a contradiction (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1310 1311 [1312] 1313 1314 ... 1342