Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1311 1312 [1313] 1314 1315 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1454012 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19680 on: June 15, 2016, 05:12:27 pm »

Robotic soldiers is truly a terrible idea. Even with true artificial intelligence, I don't think we'll ever be able to make something that can deal with all the variables in war without becoming a monster.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19681 on: June 15, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »

AI assistance is definitely the way of the future (albeit one that there's no drive to develop). A computer can be concentrating on all of its senses all the time and in every direction. Men don't get that ability.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19682 on: June 15, 2016, 05:25:58 pm »

Yep, no question about that. You need a human on the battlefield, though.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19683 on: June 15, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »

Vast majority of deer/elk meat probably end up on dinner plates in the US too.
Eeehhh, near as I can tell the vast majority actually doesn't. More around a plurality. A lot actually goes to waste, either rotting on the side of the road (last numbers were >1 million deer/vehicle collisions over the course of a year, and that's around the average near as I can tell*) or discarded for various reasons (seen the average harvest from a deer ballparked at ~22kg -- where the low end of an adult white-tail by weight is around 40kg). Fair amount of a deer's meat just going to be thrown out.

Hunting does probably get around two or three times (hunters kill ~6 million yearly, so estimating at ~half the weight per deer -- which is probably generous, as not every hunter even bothers to bring the meat back for eating at all, but whatever -- being brought back leaves their contribution ~3 million, pound for pound) what roadkill does (and, being fair, some of that roadkill actually gets eaten -- most states I'm aware of have programs where police or whathaveyou'll pick up deer if they get to them soon enough and let prisoners render them down), but between that and natural causes it probably only manages somewhere in the region of half or so.

*Fun fact, deer are basically the deadliest non-insect, non-human animal in the US, by a fairly substantial margin (mosquitoes appear to edge them out a fair bit if you're counting bugs, though). Over the course of a year, deer average something in a range of "every human death by bear in the 20th century" in body count (around 130), thanks to the little bastards turning roadways into impromptu collision testing venues.

For reference, it looks like the most consistent records we have for fatal wolf attacks comes from france, where they managed to average... about ten a year, over the period of 1200-1920. Asia looks like they're having the most trouble with actual bodycount in modern times, though... for all they still appear to be averaging about four a year (200 recorded in the 50 years leading up to '02).

E: Though, for the interested, this looks like a pretty nice breakdown of deer fatalities and whatnot. S'possible hunting in fact represents less than half the dead deer (nevermind the meat) in this country, maybe even fairly substantially.

---

And nah, you don't need a human on the battlefield. Controlling whatever's on it, maybe, but outside of various ethical/societal concerns about the human cost of war being too cheap, there's really no particular need to actually have flesh and blood being shot at. Even beyond airborne drones, there's already a fair amount of remote controlled or autonomous military devices under development and whatnot.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:44:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19684 on: June 15, 2016, 05:32:07 pm »

http://channelawesome.com/trump-the-board-game-can-you-believe-it/

Have to hand it to Trump... He did sort of line out his entire election LOOOOONG in advance.

It is... Interesting to say the least. He wasn't hiding anything.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:42:07 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19685 on: June 15, 2016, 05:58:26 pm »

Channel Awesome is cancer and doug will steal your shekels D:

P.s. Kawaii trump desu desu

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19686 on: June 15, 2016, 06:22:12 pm »

What utterly disgusts me about deer hunting is sport hunting. Hunting to eat I can live with on moral grounds, I suppose. But hunting the biggest and strongest, let alone with weapons that leave no chance of fairness in battle, for your own amusement? Cruel and ecologically disruptive.

Plus, the children of these sorts of hunters develop a really unhealthy obsession with killing wild animals for no apparent reason.

Ugh. I hate living in the rural northeast.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19687 on: June 15, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »

Ok now I am going to post pretty much a derogatory video that puts down Donald Trump... I'll put it in spoilers

But... It has probably been the only bit of solace that kind of gives me hope that Trump won't become president. As staged as it possibly will be. My faith in humanity surrounded by "OHH GAWD!"

---

But seriously I need an education. I already KNOW why Donald Trump can't be the president (because he is a Bigot, his business strategies means he lacks HONEST business strategies, is incredibly sexist, and what have you)

But I keep hearing over and over about how Hillary is somehow MUCH worse, somehow... Does anyone have a resource that tells me how she could possibly be any worse?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:27:55 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19688 on: June 15, 2016, 06:36:32 pm »

What utterly disgusts me about deer hunting is sport hunting. Hunting to eat I can live with on moral grounds, I suppose. But hunting the biggest and strongest, let alone with weapons that leave no chance of fairness in battle, for your own amusement? Cruel and ecologically disruptive.
Bit on the cruel side, yes, but... ecologically disruptive, not so much. Not with deer, not in most areas of the states. The US (among other places) has a pretty serious deer overpopulation issue, yeah. Not killing them is more disruptive than killing them, even if you're not going to eat it, at the moment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19689 on: June 15, 2016, 06:43:56 pm »

Nonono, I mean the killing the best ones specifically--sport hunters usually go after the bucks with the most magnificent, er, antlers? Horns? Which generally signify the deer's overall physical capabilities. If a disease starts taking out the deer, then leaving only females and the weakest of the males could lead to a localized extinction.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19690 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:53 pm »

You only need one buck to make a deer flock fuck

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19691 on: June 15, 2016, 06:53:26 pm »

@Neo: That video isn't derogatory. It's just showing the plain truth that even little kids realize how childish Trump is.

Clinton is really just the continuation of the current type of policies we have now. I guess if people actually believe all the crazy Obama conspiracy theories then they'd equally be scared of Clinton.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:57:38 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19692 on: June 15, 2016, 06:56:06 pm »

@Neo: That video isn't derogatory. It's just showing the plain truth that even little kids realize how childish Trump is.

Yeah but as I am learning. Pointing things out about Trump that are obvious, is derogatory xD so I am being diplomatic.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19693 on: June 15, 2016, 07:12:53 pm »

But I keep hearing over and over about how Hillary is somehow MUCH worse, somehow... Does anyone have a resource that tells me how she could possibly be any worse?

I won't try to defend Trump. I really dislike him, but a lot of him is an unknown, as far as how he'll handle the position.

Clinton on the other hand has had a chance in a number of political positions. And you may do your own research, but I don't like what I see.

In many ways it's a choice between the devil you know or the devil you don't. Come November I plan to pick neither.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19694 on: June 15, 2016, 07:14:17 pm »

I don't really care, and it wouldn't matter if I did, so I'm just here to get an idea of what the candidates are like, stances, etc.
It's not working.
Pages: 1 ... 1311 1312 [1313] 1314 1315 ... 1342