Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: The Roman Catholic Church: Equal Rites.  (Read 11438 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Roman Catholic Church: Equal Rites.
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2014, 06:38:27 am »

Neither does "a Creator created it".
Love, scriver~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2014, 04:09:28 am »

Well, that does explain it, technically. It doesn't explain why the Creator is there, though, so I'd say they're about equal in that regard.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2014, 04:57:10 am »

Why does it have to be cyclical?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2014, 05:10:13 am »

I think he means that any "explanation" is just going to lead to "but what created the thing that created the universe", "What created the thing that created the thing that created the universe", etc etc.

I don't think it's entirely true, you can have theories that don't require a creation, because something was always there (like the big crunch hypothesis), or because time does some really strange things at the beginning of the universe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2014, 05:14:58 am »

Time-stuff, yeah. Stable time travel loops are a normal thing in fiction, anyway. The universe started because someone in the future went back in time and started it :P

Good as answer as any, I suppose. Also means we (or at least some other intelligent species, I guess) will eventually be able to claim credit for it the start, anyway, which is something.

You thought it was YWHW, but it was ME, DIO! Along those lines. That would be a good line. Note to self: Legislate that all time travelers must legally change their name to Dio.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2014, 05:31:36 am »

That's an incredibly impenetrable wall of text. Please space it out a bit?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 03:02:36 pm »

It is impossible to make similar studies on the existence of a divine power without either side being able to handwave them.
2 things: Null Hypothesis, and disproving the Christian god. I.E. A being who created the world, answers prayers, came to earth as a divine human and sacrificed himself to himself to allay himself over humans sinfulness, and requires you to believe in his human-self in order to be saved from him and his wrath...

Erm...

Anyway, my point is, it's easy (relatively) to disprove a specific God (Thor, YHWH, Zeus, Tenger Etseg, etc) which makes active claims about the world and how it works, but not so easy to disprove a silent, non-interfering deistic god. But at that point, what's even the point of him? He's something that doesn't affect the world but still needs to be explained where he came from, it's just easier to toss the hypothesis out when there's no evidence that it's true.

Also, I know, I know. You say my name and went "There goes the neighbourhood." Still, I'm *trying* to tone down my venom. I'm sure there's... somethin' or other in here, that I missed. As I said before, give me the benefit of the doubt, eh?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 03:08:55 pm »

PTF, and point out the errors in physics made by those who might not have a brilliant understanding of the things they use in their arguments, if the last few pages are anything to go by.
This is a blank sig.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2014, 02:49:56 am »

lets revive this with a nice podcast episode on the topic of the church. sense the other thread is locked this is now the only one left. try not to get it locked. :P

http://historyofengland.typepad.com/blog/2014/12/141a-an-alternative-view-of-heresy-by-david-ford.html

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:52 pm »

Was overseas when this thread started up, but posting now to watch out of curiosity. Though I might not be as strong a Catholic as my mother would have liked, I am quite glad at the amends made with the Orthodoxy.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:54 am »

PTW
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]