Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Mongrelmen - ascii RTS/town builder in development  (Read 18543 times)

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mongrelmen - ascii RTS/town builder in development
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »

I'll do something about the menus and take a look at colour coding messages.

I'm glad you're having fun with it - it's a pretty big jump from me just goofing around with it and others picking it up and trying to figure the game out and I'm happy that it's actually (mostly) working. Siding with the orcs is definitely the easiest thing to do because they have an ultra aggressive AI. You might find that some of the new recruitable uniques might help, but I generally try to hide from the orcs with my initial camp placement as much as possible.

I'll also spend some time trying to isolate that crash.

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2015, 12:18:35 am »

Finished work on Rore the beholder, a powerful recruitable unique spellcaster who has the significant downside of enforcing your own tribe to go on probably ill-advised raids.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2015, 08:38:43 am »

Dont abandon this.Sounds awesome.
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:34 pm »

I'll keep chipping away at it.

Today I added another unique - Barbu the Unwelcome, a demon who appears surrounded by a group of cultists. He is relatively strong in his own right, but the pacifist cultists follow him around constantly healing him to make him much more dangerous.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2015, 03:30:03 am »

Wow, this looks awesome, gonna try it out asap!

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2016, 12:06:42 am »

Updated version for the new year: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97xkal8i724f658/mongrelmen140116.zip?dl=0

It includes a bunch of new uniques and other mechanics I've been working slowly on for the last few months, mostly in relation to trying to expand the kinds of creatures you come across and a bit of work on resource management. Orcs, kobolds and drow now all drop resources on death in the form of silver, copper and gold respectively.

Obligatory random gif of a battle between demons, cultists, mongrelmen and ogres at the site of a prior kobold massacre:

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2018, 07:25:17 pm »

I'm back working on this and development is going pretty well. I've added mining (and dealt with the million pathfinding issues that flowed from that), new monsters like druids (who are allied with wolves but who you probably want to keep around because they spawn new trees and vegetation) and new god powers (which can allow you to move your totem in some cases so you can shift your base).

I'm starting to think that it's fun enough and arguably complete enough to warrant a proper download page  ::)

Aksej

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 02:33:09 am »

Hey, nice to see this back!

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 06:59:45 am »

Thanks! Things are actually moving quickly at the moment given I’ve got a fair bit of inspiration. It took me a while to relearn my own code base but I’ve got my head around most of it now.

The game is changing fairly rapidly - I implemented stockpiles for different resource types and made it a necessity for workers to actually carry the resources back to camp. This creates a lot more purpose and traffic which impacts on base design. Beforehand there was no real need for traffic to go through your camp and that made it feel a bit empty to me. Hopefully it makes building layout more important. Oh, and I also added bridges so you can incorporate water more effectively.

Next is hunger and thirst I think, recognition of kills by your units by promoting them to hero status after a while, and then onto trade and more complex resource management.

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2018, 06:06:58 am »

I've got it up on itch.io now: https://patjw.itch.io/mongrelmen

This is the very latest build with various stockpiles and more workshops are in along with a bunch of other features and fixes, please consider playing my game and telling me what you think!

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2018, 05:29:04 am »

Aksej

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2018, 06:41:15 am »

Could you make a Linux release? I mean, it's python, so it seems like a complete waste to run it in Wine.

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2018, 06:45:48 am »

I’ve never used Linux in my life so that’s probably not easily going to happen. I’m told that it runs in wine.

I could pretty easily bundle the source code with the download if that makes things easier for you? I haven’t released the code to date but that’s only because I didn’t think anyone would want it rather than a commitment to it being closed source.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2018, 04:19:13 pm »

Pretty fun.  I did experience a few crashes though.

How does unit spawning work?  Is it just a fixed spawn rate, or do mongrelmen actually reproduce?

Is there any way of removing walls or structures?

Maybe some procedural character generation could spice things up a bit?  Or do you want the "unique units" to always be the same?

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2018, 08:32:15 pm »

If you could post some information about the crashes, that would be great. I know there’s an ongoing bug with map population (I think) at game start which I hadn’t gotten around to fixing yet - I’ve just been restarting to get around it haha.

New units spawn from your totem over time at the cost of food. Generally speaking, as long as your totem survives and you have a stockpile of food, you can try and regenerate a new tribe. You have to make sure that you’re not at your population limit though and that’s where huts come into play. Don’t forget that recruited units count towards that limit which is often a reason why you don’t get respawned workers!

You can’t remove structures yet but I’ll put that into the next build! I can foresee a few complications with multi-tile buildings but nothing insurmountable.

There’s definitely scope to bring more procedural hostiles and allies into the game. A lot of them are fixed uniques and that’s on purpose - I wanted identifiable and somewhat reliable game events. Adventurer parties are an example of this in action though - they are randomly generated and have a 1 in 10 chance of asking for refuge at your camp. One complication with that is that they don’t fully join your tribe so won’t help out with work or rallies but they will help defend your camp and even heal your units if that’s one of the powers they have.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:33:59 pm by pat »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6