Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Mongrelmen - ascii RTS/town builder in development  (Read 18541 times)

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mongrelmen - ascii RTS/town builder in development
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 02:14:26 am »

More structured forest and plant generation:

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 06:09:03 am »

This looks awesome.
Has the last bug been rectified in the version linked in the first post?
Taste my Paci-Fist

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 06:51:25 am »

Yep, it should all be working. Version in the original post doesn't contain latest terrain updates or workshops but should otherwise be playable.

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 01:12:35 am »

I spent some time playing around with a quick and dirty graphical output of the whole map at once so you can see what it looks like:

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 07:19:13 am »

After seeing that I think that your generation algorithm works well for the mountains and plants, but not as good for water.

I couldn't reproduce reliably, but in two games the game crashed when I tried to rally – that is, after clicking. In the third game I couldn't even choose to rally anymore. The option wouldn't highlight.
Taste my Paci-Fist

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 07:36:51 am »

That might be a bug that I became aware of recently. I don't think I handle rallying neatly so that when you begin a rally but then select another unit or change mode before ending the rally then it goes a bit weird. I'll fix it in the next release but until then it can probably be worked around by ending the rally before moving on to something else.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:12 am »

I don't think that's it, as the game crashed immediately when I tried to pick a location for where to rally. I didn't even have the chance to switch to anything else.
Taste my Paci-Fist

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 04:30:23 pm »

Oh, well that's new to me. If you get it again, please post the error message for me.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46:56 pm »

I cannot select the option anymore. I have no idea what happened.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 11:46:53 pm »

PTW.

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 01:50:06 am »

Worked on expanding the number of resources in the game which is necessary if I'm going to put in more complex crafting and possibly trading:

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2015, 04:32:04 am »

I was posting these gifs elsewhere, so I thought I may as well throw them up here as well along with a link the latest dev build.

Here's a completed mongrel base to the right and a coward's standoff between kobolds and mongrelmen who can't muster the courage to fight each other but are in each other's way:

And here's me trying to build an example base amongst some waterways before get destroyed by Duvessa and Dowan (well, Dowan just kinda watched).

I've currently got the map visualiser enabled in the dev build but it's not going to be permanent - just a bit of a test at this stage and it's slow and annoying, I know. And here's the link to the game as it currently stands: https://www.dropbox.com/s/grj1rmtqlnmnyzt/mongrelmen140215.zip?dl=0

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 10:20:14 am »

Are you going to mirror Goblin Camp in resource extraction with quarries being like workshops that occasionally spawn themed creatures?

While the current map is temporary and slow to draw some kind of minimap would be handy for seeing where combat was happening and similar.

Edit: My error reports weren't needed, I failed to read the whole OP. For shame.

Edit2: An option to cancel the 'esc' menu without closing the game would be nice as I keep opening it by accident.

Edit3: Random crash to desktop out of nowhere (upgraded my only mongrelman into a soldier during combat with a drow).

Also is there a cap on the number of mongrelmen? I've never seen more than five at a time.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:09:25 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »

Can your group be nomadic and go around waring folks and riding on horseback all the while scaring the local populace into giving you tribute?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2015, 05:33:49 pm »

Are you going to mirror Goblin Camp in resource extraction with quarries being like workshops that occasionally spawn themed creatures?
I don't think so. If there is mining (and maybe there won't be), then it'll be like DF-2d style. I'm happy with creatures spawning from the edges of the map because hopefully it lets you have a bit of a chance to plan for them as opposed to just reacting.
While the current map is temporary and slow to draw some kind of minimap would be handy for seeing where combat was happening and similar.
That might be a bit of a problem with libtcod. It's not really set up to draw smaller than a single character. There is a bit of a complex workaround to that where you essentially split every character up and draw four characters at once to print a normal letter to the screen. That would let you draw 1/4 as big as a normal letter but also adds a fair bit of complexity. I agree that a minimap would be good, but I don't think it's a priority for me just yet. Maybe I will go that workaround route in the future but not just yet.
Edit3: Random crash to desktop out of nowhere (upgraded my only mongrelman into a soldier during combat with a drow).
Did you get an error message?
Also is there a cap on the number of mongrelmen? I've never seen more than five at a time.
yeah, at the moment that's right. One of the next steps is to build huts which will allow you to expand your population. It's a bit limiting I know but that'll change very soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6