Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defending burrows  (Read 884 times)

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defending burrows
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:08:47 pm »

So, I discovered that you can place military types exactly on a spot by defining a burrow and telling them to defend it. If a burrow is made of multiple not-connected single tiles, each squad member will stand in one tile. Perfect for sentries lining a hallway!

The question: if a gobbo stands next to a melee dwarf who is defending a burrow, and the gobbo is not actually inside the burrow, will the dwarf attack it? Similarly, if a marksdwarf is defending a burrow, will it shoot at gobbos who are several tiles away but not actually inside the burrow?

I'd do some !!SCIENCE!! but my fort hasn't actually attracted any invaders or uninvited guests yet so there are no test subjects available...

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defending burrows
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:34:44 pm »

Yep, dwarves will react normally when seeing an hosile, actually ignoring the burrow. They will go back in position only when the "emergency" is solved. I usually use this system to put soldiers in strategic/scenic locations, like entry gates, corners... it's nice!

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:15:30 am »

Yep [...] I usually use this system to put soldiers in strategic/scenic locations, like entry gates, corners... it's nice!
Wow. This should really be on the wiki. I had no idea there was a reliable way to put soldiers in specific tiles. Forget move to/station orders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:24:42 am »

Oh hey!  This is neato!  Even if I dont use dwarven sentries ever.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!