Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing zone at artificial channel?  (Read 5145 times)

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing zone at artificial channel?
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:04:29 am »

I have an experimental aqueduct which redirects some water from a river down into my fortress.

I have noticed there are fish in it (salmon to be exact), so hey, why not fish there, right? No luck, tho - when I try to make a 2-tile fishing zone next to the channel it's Water Source(2), Fishing(0). Same thing next to the natural river is Water Source(2), Fishing(2).

So my question is - what is the exact condition for a tile to be available as a fishing zone?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing zone at artificial channel?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:13:05 am »

It has to be at water tiles that occur naturally.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 04:18:37 am »

Well, crap. Indeed, I channeled a single surface tile next to the river and it's unavailable. Looks like a good feature request to me. The fish *are* already there, so...

Edit: Hmm, I left the zone even though it was Fishing(0) and dorfs *do* fish there. Wonder if they catch anything :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 04:21:22 am by praptak »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:37:53 am »

Well, crap. Indeed, I channeled a single surface tile next to the river and it's unavailable. Looks like a good feature request to me. The fish *are* already there, so...

Edit: Hmm, I left the zone even though it was Fishing(0) and dorfs *do* fish there. Wonder if they catch anything :)
Let us know, I swear I had dwarves fish from my cisterns and catch something but I never do enough fishing to remember if that's true.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 06:22:17 am »

Let us know, I swear I had dwarves fish from my cisterns and catch something but I never do enough fishing to remember if that's true.

Further experiments proved mightily confusing. Dorfs do fish successfully. They got some pond turtles, which might be due to the fact that the zone is near a sort of a side ramp (thus treated as a pond?). But what's more confusing:

The zone, which was showing as Fishing(0) in the create UI, is now Fishing(3). Moreover when I create a new zone nearby, it's Fishing(3) right from the start. I swear I didn't change anything in the meantime - maybe the channel gets its "fishable" flag with a delay?

Edit: What's even more confusing, the zone reported as Fishing(3) is actually *four* squares long along a channel of the same length. One of the four tiles seems somehow different than the others.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:24:23 am by praptak »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:07:16 am »

Further experiments proved mightily confusing. Dorfs do fish successfully. They got some pond turtles, which might be due to the fact that the zone is near a sort of a side ramp (thus treated as a pond?). But what's more confusing:

The zone, which was showing as Fishing(0) in the create UI, is now Fishing(3). Moreover when I create a new zone nearby, it's Fishing(3) right from the start. I swear I didn't change anything in the meantime - maybe the channel gets its "fishable" flag with a delay?

Edit: What's even more confusing, the zone reported as Fishing(3) is actually *four* squares long along a channel of the same length. One of the four tiles seems somehow different than the others.
Maybe the water tiles are gaining a fish population over time if adjacent tiles have existing fish populations?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:56 am »

I think artificial ponds, etc, are always Fishing (0) initially, and then can change to a number a bit later. However, all my attempts at fully artificial ponds (pond dug outside and filled by a bucket brigade, aquifer ponds) get a number, but always result in the message that there isn't anything to catch in the <direction> swamps, and the number gets reset to 0 for a while. When I created an artificial pond/lake by digging out an area and filling it from an cave lake I did actually get some pond turtles, so I suspect it's a matter of whether the pond has been fed with something from the outside.

Since you get your water from a natural water source, it would probably be fed from there, get depleted as you fish, and then possibly restocked.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 09:26:51 am »

I do believe I can designate fishing zones from cisterns.

However IIRC I've never had a dwarf actually catch stuff in it.

I know a few versions ago (0.31 or somesuch) I could catch pond turtles aquifer turtles (all hail!) in aquifers.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:53:25 am »

Artificial ponds are considered to be the same as Murky Pools - you'll only catch pond fish from them (i.e. turtles). If you want to catch river fish, you must fish from the river's original tiles (or perform some DFHack trickery to mark your new tiles as being part of the river).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:54:51 am »

Artificial ponds are considered to be the same as Murky Pools - you'll only catch pond fish from them (i.e. turtles). If you want to catch river fish, you must fish from the river's original tiles (or perform some DFHack trickery to mark your new tiles as being part of the river).

Indeed, I seem to only get pond turtles from these tiles even though salmons and brook lampreys do appear in them. This is strangely dorfy :)