Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Besmar Misber. Doomed? Or really, really doomed?

Doomed.
- 1 (33.3%)
Really really doomed.
- 1 (33.3%)
I dunno, he might survive.
- 1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Marriage science in DF 0.40.23  (Read 12154 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage science in DF 0.40.23
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 01:10:00 pm »

Congratulations to Melbil Shorastasrer on the birth of a bouncing baby boy!

[EDIT]Congratulations to Bembul Ustuthnish on the birth of a bouncing baby boy!

[EDITx2] Ral Cattenzimesh was killed by a forgotten beast - cut off from the fortress while mining near the magma sea.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:56:07 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 03:16:58 pm »

We are very, very, slowly killing the forgotten beast in a half-finished and poorly designed trap.

13 long corridor. Raised bridge at either end. ONE repeating spike trap. The FB randomly wanders, or stays still. Once in a long while it will happen to reach the south end of the corridor and possibly get hit by the trap.

[EDIT] It's over. It took about a season to finish it.

[EDITx2]Congratulations to Melbil Shorastasrer on the birth of a bouncing baby boy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:24:30 pm by ptb_ptb »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 03:40:46 pm »

PTW

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 03:49:49 pm »

ptb, you are nothing if not merciful and efficient.

:P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:54 pm »

In the early years we were swarmed by highly dangerous creatures. Giant Anacondas, Saltwater Crocodiles, etc. Now we just get the occasional stork man. I can only think that we have exhausted the local ecology. Perhaps we embarked in a small region...

[EDIT]Congratulations to Bembul Ustuthnish on the birth of a bouncing baby boy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:02:24 pm by ptb_ptb »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 04:16:59 pm »

Most creatures are majorly neutral toward the idea of marriage. Somewhere around 78% have no feeling towards it one way or another. The rest are split pretty evenly, so only about 11% are likely to get married without some special reason for it. Of course, add in the detrimental traits that have an equal chance of happening, and you're possibly looking at an extra percentage point or two off, so more like 9 or 10% likelihood.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Personality_trait

So it's not impossible, just something you have to work toward.

You do know that that page is utterly obsolete, right? Personality underwent a complete overhaul in 0.40.

Here is the correct page.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »

You do know that that page is utterly obsolete, right? Personality underwent a complete overhaul in 0.40.

Here is the correct page.
Personality underwent a complete overhaul. I'm not sure that page did.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

If you look at it for more than 2 seconds, you'll see that it did.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 04:48:58 pm »

I noticed that but not the link. I was looking at the updated page, and you know what? There's additions to the factors (which don't even matter), but that table you saw is unchanged and still right there at the bottom third of the page. THAT hasn't been changed.

ETA: And I know about this stuff because I'm using it in my own race and I've seen the results with my own eyes. Before I played with it, I'd be lucky to see one or two of my starting seven wanting any kind of relationship. I hiked the minimum up by 25 and the median up by 26 and now I've got all seven interested.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:54:17 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »

I noticed that but not the link. I was looking at the updated page, and you know what? There's additions to the factors, but that table you saw is unchanged and still right there at the bottom third of the page. THAT hasn't been changed. If you looked more than two seconds maybe you'd see that.

Yes, that's why it starts with ANXIETY and contains SELF_CONSCIOUSNESS.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:16 pm »

I meant the table about probabilities, not the one depicting emotions themselves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:57 pm »

The table of probabilities is not relevant to marriage at all, so you can sorta see how I didn't think you were talking about it.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 05:03:48 pm »

The table of probabilities handles ALL emotions and personality traits. And if you don't have the right traits, you aren't going to be forming relationships at all. Hence no marriage. Those probabilities are the basis for everything in an unmodded game. Every bit of modding you do to Personality Traits affects your own personal table of probabilities for each emotion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

It doesn't affect emotions or values and the only one that really matters for that is LOVE_PROPENSITY, which 89% of dwarves are on the positive or neutral side of. It doesn't matter nearly as much as the 30% of dwarves who have incompatible orientations.

They don't have to be positive in LOVE_PROPENSITY to get married, they just have to be not entirely negative, AFAIK, which means that an entire 0.4% of dwarves have incompatible personalities for marriage. Note the wording there, that only the bottom 0.4% will "never fall in love".

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 05:15:48 pm »

Emotions like Friendliness also matter, because if you;re standoffish most folks won't even bother with you. Dwarves have to want to be around each other for any of this to form, or they'll wind up in grudges instead of romance. Another thing I picked up from modding. And most folks aren't dealing with marriage science, so they don't see as many marriages. They're not actually trying to make them happen, so their dwarves just go about their business most of the time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7