Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Little Fortress Interest Check  (Read 3292 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
My Little Fortress Interest Check
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:37 am »

So, it's been almost two years since the last time I started a My Little Pony community fortress, and the itch is back.  I've been planning this off and on for a long while now, but I think it's finally getting about time to actually try it.  I also figured that this time I might give some of the potential players a bit of forewarning while also gauging interest in the potential fort.

Here's a little preview of what I have planned:

Shadytrails

30 years before the events of my first community fort, Dawnpick, an entrepreneuring merchant guild, holding members of ponies, zebras, griffons, horses (Saddle Arabian style) and other diverse species, is looking to capitalize on the untapped trails traveled by merchants between the countries.  They're hoping to establish frontier towns where these trails meet or at other strategic locations, boosting their own profits and extending the range that the merchants can travel.  Lead by the griffon Isolde Hookbill, this will be the story of one such (un)lucky travelers looking to make a few bits and set out on the Oregon trail.

Game Information

The game is going to be much lighter in tone and have a much less railroaded story than Duskfields.  Expect it to be much closer to Dawnpick in tone, with some danger but no persistent threat of sieges or unexpected random deaths.

It's going to be a pretty standard community fort otherwise.  It's not a succession fort.  People just claim ponies (or whatevers) and write journals or RP like in the other games.

As of right now, I have no terminal conditions in mind, so it'll probably just run until it feels like it's time to end it, like Dawnpick.

Speaking of characters, here's a preview of those lovely equines (and whatevers) that you could be playing.  Please note that only the last 3 are still available for claiming, but new migrants will of course be available as the game goes along.  Click any of the avatars to see the full image!

Characters - Claimed already, you can't have these!
- Isolde Hookbill - Claimed by Telgin (me) - She's the expedition leader
- Silver Rush- Claimed by Kryptid - A batpony (treated as a Pegasus in game) and the team's miner
- Jack Pine - Claimed by DVNO - The team's woodcutter
- Shooting Star - Claimed by vkiNm - A soldier specializing in archery
- Tunda - Claimed by Amorack - The team's farmer
- Patina Dreams - Claimed by KingStrongbeard - The team's mason and metal crafter
- Rosewood - Claimed by (no forum handle yet) - The team's carpenter

Characters - Unclaimed, you can have these!
- Gunther - The team's doctor
- Kiume - The militia commander and swordszebra
- Shortstack - The team's cook and brewer

Claiming a Character

If you want one of the three unclaimed characters above, great, you can express interest here or after the game begins and they're yours.  If you want to claim a migrant, that's great!  No restrictions there.  In fact, you can even make some small tweaks if you want.  Silver Rush is a batpony, but is really a Pegasus in game, for example.  Donkeys and mules are easy to do too, since they're really just renaming earth ponies.

What about the art though?  Kryptid was kind enough to do all of the images you see above, and I'm super thankful.  You can get one too if you want, but read below on his rules for getting something:

Quote from: Kryptid
Due to the extra effort required for drawing in this style, I am trying to avoid wasted effort by drawing characters for people who rarely or never use them. Yes, this has happened in the past: A person claims a character, I draw the avatar, then it never gets used.

So before I draw an avatar for a character, the person who claimed said character must participate in at least two separate scenes (or substantial character journal posts) before an avatar will be drawn for them. Once again, due to the extra time it takes me to draw these portraits, full-body pictures will not be done for any characters other than the starting 10.

I will make an exception for this on the condition that the person who wishes to have a full-body picture pays $15 US as a commission fee. If you so choose, a free avatar will be created immediately upon completion of the full-body portrait whether or not you have participated in any scenes. If requests become excessive, the price for a full-body picture may be raised.

Another note from me: In the past, important characters have been claimed, then their player disappears or just stops playing or whatever.  If you claim a character and never do anything with them, they'll probably be made available again at my option.  If you've done a lot with them and just want to drop out of the game, I'll probably not do this, but I don't want to risk having starting characters lost to people who impulsively claim someone in a fort and never post.

Great, when is all of this starting?

Soon.  Within the month I seriously hope.  Right now I'm largely waiting on DFHack to update to work with .40.24, since it'll be needed for a lot of things.  Specifically, I'll need it to prevent griffons from laying eggs that hatch into zebras, and similar nonsense.

So, stay tuned!

Also, if you hate ponies, great.  No need to let us know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:24:21 am »

This is very relevant to my interests.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:36:29 am »

I'd like to place a claim on the first combat trained griffon you get.

if its possible at the time, could ya make em the guard captain/sheriff?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:33:59 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:47:37 am »

I'm happy to take Gunther if no one else wants him.

Griffion doctors get to eat what doesn't leave the operating table after all.  :D
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:23:38 am »

Can I have Kiume? He seems like a cool guy.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 11:01:24 am »

If I get back into being able to freform rollplay, I will make a pony
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:59 pm »

I'm going to watch this. looking forward to a good story.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:37:25 pm »

PTW.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:19 pm »

PtW, maybe I'll make a claim down the line... how's everybody been?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:13 pm »

Griffion doctors get to eat what doesn't leave the operating table after all.  :D

Alrighty, he's yours.  Stay tuned for the real thread soonish.

Can I have Kiume? He seems like a cool guy.

Sure thing.  Kiume does look like a cool stallion who doesn't afraid of anything.

Busy and stressed, mostly.  The perfect time to start something like this, eh?  :P
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 12:05:42 am »

I've been alright.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 01:07:48 am »

Alrighty, he's yours.  Stay tuned for the real thread soonish.

Consider this motivation to get well soon.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »

expressing interest as well.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »

For all of those interested in taking a migrant character that doesn't exist yet, you can go ahead and PM me details of what you want their design to look like (assuming you know what species you want). This will save me some time once you've got your two scenes and/or journals in.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 01:25:46 pm »

I still don't get how they're supposed to be able to pick up a sword and shield.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: [1] 2