Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which parts of the stronghold do you use in most of your forts?

Tribal crafting (warcrafter / fletcher / bloodforge)
Training (bloodbowl / weights / anatomical theatre)
Freelancers (guild / drydock / labor cells)
Core industry (molten pit / factories / blacksmoke / outlander ghetto)
Advanced weaponries (damasc forge / steamfoundry / warrior society)
Caravanserai
Dreamwalkers (totem pole / temples / arcane forge)
Barbarian tech (ashglass / ancient foundry / nethermill / treesingers / fluid source / etc.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Masterwork Reborn  (Read 8579 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Masterwork Reborn
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:08 am »

The caste restriction for nobles didnt work for elected nobles in fort mode, not for people that are generated in worldgen. I think Smakes solution should be fine.

The Warlocks etc are not opposed-to-life, it should be fine. There might be the chance that they see a corpse and make a zombie, which will be friendly to them, but hostile to you, but I havent decided upon that yet. It would fit there theme and makes tradin a bit harder.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 11:12:07 am »

The caste restriction for nobles didnt work for elected nobles in fort mode, not for people that are generated in worldgen. I think Smakes solution should be fine.

The Warlocks etc are not opposed-to-life, it should be fine. There might be the chance that they see a corpse and make a zombie, which will be friendly to them, but hostile to you, but I havent decided upon that yet. It would fit there theme and makes tradin a bit harder.

That would be punishing you for leaving corpses laying around so that's fine. Turns out I have no population issues btw so I'll apply smakes suggestion.

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 05:39:50 am »

I have now 3 dead orcs in a dining hall, as they died in thirst, funny thing is that there is a working well middle of dining room, also it is summertime and river and ponds outside have water. Afaik they didn't have any mental issues either. What is going on? Any ideas?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48:47 am »

shouldn't be anything specific to orcs.  If it really wasn't mental, then probably untreated physical wounds. ... How's your hospital?

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 07:03:55 am »

I have hospital, had one patient so far with very minor wounds and he was healed, so no physical wound explanation either.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:57 am »

Speaking of orc hospitals, in mine they are mostly ignoring the beds. Never seen this before, but they park starting in the upper left corner (which is the usual game tendency in filling stockpiles) and get treated there on the floor, not on the table set up for surgery, etc. I had one of a half dozen in this game move to a bed, that's it. Hasn't seemed to affect their treatment, but it's odd.

I don't recall seeing this behavior in other orc forts. Or any other forts.

Can't see where I've set it up any differently from past hospitals. Weird.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 03:34:54 pm »

How would you feel about adding more diversity in with domesticated animals? I know the original plan was to have a few specialized ones but personally I would like more diversity. If this is something people want then I could probably come up with some ideas.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 03:38:17 pm »

How would you feel about adding more diversity in with domesticated animals? I know the original plan was to have a few specialized ones but personally I would like more diversity. If this is something people want then I could probably come up with some ideas.
It would be best if you'd accompany a post like this with actual suggestions of new pets ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 04:17:08 pm »

Well, assuming that these orcs are native to northern climates I feel like they should be domesticating caribou for milk and meat. Or maybe even something like the stag moose.

They could have a grouse as a kind of chicken counterpart.

Javelinas would also fit I believe. Likely a larger build to fit with the savagery.

I can come up with some more ideas, perhaps some more fantastical ones. I do feel like they need more small animals to farm. I do not much like the squigs and they ubiquity, I feel like each animal should have a couple rolls at most.

So:
- Caribou/Stag Moose
- Javelina
- Grouse

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 04:46:52 pm »

Javelina is more a warm to tropical beast though. At least the ones that I killed and ate were.  8)

We had two types, one ran in small family groups, the other (and more dangerous due to pack size) ran in herds in the 15-50 range.

Javelinas, aka peccaries:

Peccary
Animal
A peccary is a medium-sized hoofed mammal of the family Tayassuidae in the suborder Suina along with the Old World pigs, Suidae. They are found in the southwestern area of North America and throughout Central and South America. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Tayassuidae
Mass: 20 – 40 kg (Adult)
Length: 90 – 130 cm (Adult)
Higher classification: Even-toed ungulate
Size of territory: 0.3 – 2.8 km² (Herd territory)
Lower classifications: Floridachoerus, Pecari
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:51:32 pm by vonsch »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 05:42:36 pm »

I could see some mythological mayan, inka or japanese animals too. Or Snow foxes as vermin hunters, and agora rabbits for fur. Bears, which would fall into a winter sleep (induced by syndromes) would also work.

About the poll:
Barbarian tech (ashglass / ancient foundry / nethermill / treesingers / fluid source / etc.)
This I'd do last, if at all, mostly because I got no idea what race ends up where exactly, with which features.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:38 pm »

Javelina is more a warm to tropical beast though. At least the ones that I killed and ate were.  8)

North America has had many different species of peccary become extinct over the years. Namely the long nosed and flat headed which are kind of the ones I am imagining.

I am not too set on them either way, I just feel like they could use a pig like animal.

I could see some mythological mayan, inka or japanese animals too. Or Snow foxes as vermin hunters, and agora rabbits for fur. Bears, which would fall into a winter sleep (induced by syndromes) would also work.

Foxes for fur and pests sound like an amazing idea actually.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:34 pm »

I am certainly open to more animals.  The big mammals (aurochs, dire wolf, sabrecat, shaggy mumakil) are obviously inspired somewhat by pleistocene faunas, which I like because they are sort of primal or dangerous seeming.  Mythological is fine too - any ideas?  I like the idea of snow foxes in particular, and other boreal animals like grouse or elk.  I will go read a bit about Javelinas, which i've never heard of before now :)

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:06 pm »

Javelinas are really just small wild pig animals. Right now they have them in the southern USA. Nothing too exciting about them but they are really popular to hunt.

Snow foxes, caribou, and grouse seem to fit really well. I would say caribou over elk as they are native to a more northern climate and seem to fit the orcs more but elk are more familiar to many and would work in pretty much the same way. Maybe even both could be available to add some flavour.

Also, if fish farming ever become more developed I feel like the orcs would need to farm these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oncorhynchus_rastrosus

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:23 am »

Since you're going for a late prehistoric feel,  why not entelodonts?  Giant predatory boars with fangs, also known as 'terminator pigs'.  They could fit well, I think, perhaps as mounts.  Though they lived a couple of million years earlier than the others.

Teratorns (giant pleistocene birds of prey such as the giant condor) would be nice as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5