Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Berserk Save?  (Read 1883 times)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Berserk Save?
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:07:03 am »

So I come back to my fortress today and immediately upon loading, literally everyone (even the babies) goes berserk and starts murdering each other and the animals.  I'm pretty sure they weren't berserk when I saved it, so I'm assuming the save got corrupted somehow.  But I'm not sure.  I've searched the forums and I can't see this issue happening to anyone else, so I'm wondering if it's possible I just missed something before I saved.  Is there anything in Masterwork that can cause a fortress of ~50 dwarves to instantly all go insane and start killing each other?

If so, I may need to take another look at the settings...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk Save?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:34:07 am »

Only thing that comes to mind in terms of a large fraction of the fort becoming violent at once is a loyalty cascade, same as vanilla. 

If they're "berserk" from low morale you should have had warning from deteriorating mood over a period of time, and should have understandable root causes (corpses in the streets, no pants, no booze, etc.)

I am not super expert in the "Hidden !!FUN!!" option for dwarf mode, but I'd be surprised if there was anything this bad.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:16:55 am »

I sounds like everyone was infected with a syndrome that possibly has a low chance for berserk, but is still active with another effect... then you reload the save and DF is bugged and adds all the effects, because it cant distinguish from active and inactive effects in the same syndrome.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:07:55 am »

Yeah, thats what got me about it.  It kicked off on load.  It just screamed "corrupted save" to me.  I don't mind losing a fort to a Star Trek like alien virus that turns everyone into raging psychopaths, that's a cool story bro.  But when it happens suddenly immediately upon loading a save where it wasn't happening, that makes me think something's up.  In any case, rather than trying to root out the cause I just abandoned and reclaimed.  I will say it made for an interesting reclaim.  Some of the dwarves apparently survived and turned into friendly(?) npc's.  However, it's funny because as my current dwarves are trying to get the fortress back up and running I'll occasionally get reports of the now homeless npc dwarves occasionally meeting up in the wilderness and chopping pieces off each other.  I should have brought an extra undertaker.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:10:41 am »

Did any syndromes affect most of your dwarves? Are you playing with diseases on?

I wont do a bugfix for this, because I'm working on the new DF version, which doesnt have that problem anymore, I'm just curious which one was the cause... there is a dfhack script called showunitsyndromes, if you run it on some of the berserk dwarves, it should give you the syndrome name.

Sorry for the loss of your fort.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:20 am »

Losing is FUN, and you certainly had lots of that!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 01:45:42 pm »

Were you in a 'evil' biome? If so, I've encountered a bug there where upon reclaim, loads, etc, 'invisible buggy rain or cloud' can effect the entire map, inside or out - I.e. thrall everything, kill everything, berserk everything, various symptoms cloud shouldn't even have.

I've found absolutely no pattern to it, but it's tied to the 'region' (the named biome, I.e. the 'wastes of slithering' - all embarks there, encounter the same bugged event).

If not, gods only know. Welcome to the fun of df! ;)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:10:33 pm »

Did any syndromes affect most of your dwarves? Are you playing with diseases on?

I wont do a bugfix for this, because I'm working on the new DF version, which doesnt have that problem anymore, I'm just curious which one was the cause... there is a dfhack script called showunitsyndromes, if you run it on some of the berserk dwarves, it should give you the syndrome name.

I think diseases are on.  I never turned them off, so if they are on by default then yes.  The only reason I know everyone was hostile despite not meticulously picking through the ~3-4 pages of "so and so was interrupted by so and so" and "the stray this or that was struck down" that were generated immediately upon unpausing the game, was that at least a few of the interrupted messages were being caused by babies, indicating that even the babies had gone berserk.  I couldn't think of a situation that would cause a baby to kill anything, let alone dogs and cats, in normal df, so that struck me as odd - especially when it seemed like every baby in the fortress was suddenly trying to kill everything.  And then I noticed the other dwarves were killing and dying indiscriminately as well.

At least now I know it's possible for a dwarven baby to strangle a cat to death.

As far as the biome is concerned, no it's not evil, but it IS a volcano.  The caldera of a volcano in fact.  The wildlife is moderately hostile, but nothing too bad.  Mostly coyotes and that sort of thing.  Sometimes we get raptors, foul blendecs, and xen infectors.  I was hoping to build the main entrance drawbridge over the caldera.  Might still happen.  I've got it set up now so that most everything is inside the fortress.  There's only a few things still outside.  Ideally it'll be really easy to defend.  I've built the military base on a peak that looms over the caldera, so that dwarves stationed there have a good view (through fortifications) of the caldera and thus the future drawbridge.  Anything trying to cross can either be shot down on the bridge, or the bridge could be raised to drop the entire invading army into the volcano.  Eventually I'm planning on lopping the top off the peak and building a little sun garden with high walls so that dwarves dont get cave-adapted, but can still technically be "inside the fort".  If it's on top of the military base, that should prevent it from being too much of a security risk for climbing or flying invaders.

Of course, there's always the possibility the volcano could erupt.  That'll be loads of FUN.

Ran showunitsyndromes on a few of the survivors, namely ones who have generated recent reports of wilderness skirmishes.  Nothing comes up.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:55:53 pm »

I think diseases are on.  I never turned them off, so if they are on by default then yes.  The only reason I know everyone was hostile despite not meticulously picking through the ~3-4 pages of "so and so was interrupted by so and so" and "the stray this or that was struck down" that were generated immediately upon unpausing the game, was that at least a few of the interrupted messages were being caused by babies, indicating that even the babies had gone berserk.  I couldn't think of a situation that would cause a baby to kill anything, let alone dogs and cats, in normal df, so that struck me as odd - especially when it seemed like every baby in the fortress was suddenly trying to kill everything.  And then I noticed the other dwarves were killing and dying indiscriminately as well.

At least now I know it's possible for a dwarven baby to strangle a cat to death.

As far as the biome is concerned, no it's not evil, but it IS a volcano.  The caldera of a volcano in fact.  The wildlife is moderately hostile, but nothing too bad.  Mostly coyotes and that sort of thing.  Sometimes we get raptors, foul blendecs, and xen infectors.  I was hoping to build the main entrance drawbridge over the caldera.  Might still happen.  I've got it set up now so that most everything is inside the fortress.  There's only a few things still outside.  Ideally it'll be really easy to defend.  I've built the military base on a peak that looms over the caldera, so that dwarves stationed there have a good view (through fortifications) of the caldera and thus the future drawbridge.  Anything trying to cross can either be shot down on the bridge, or the bridge could be raised to drop the entire invading army into the volcano.  Eventually I'm planning on lopping the top off the peak and building a little sun garden with high walls so that dwarves dont get cave-adapted, but can still technically be "inside the fort".  If it's on top of the military base, that should prevent it from being too much of a security risk for climbing or flying invaders.

Of course, there's always the possibility the volcano could erupt.  That'll be loads of FUN.

Ran showunitsyndromes on a few of the survivors, namely ones who have generated recent reports of wilderness skirmishes.  Nothing comes up.

If not an evil (or good) biome, then we can rule out weather I presume (Meph did have 'neutral biome clouds' that were strict in what they did, but removed those eons ago, I believe).

If disease is on (I THINK it's on as default, though, that's changed a good few times over versions, hard to say) - then 99% likely it is that. I do recall in the past, a rare disease that could over-time cause berserk (and saves tend to cause stuff like timed-syndromes to occur instantly, on odd occasion). I'd suggest you check your launcher (presuming you haven't changed it since this start) and see there.

Either way, write it off as the FUN of DF. Just like when all your dwarves go to recover a guy who died in the waterfall, instead falling and dying, and taking out 90%+ of your fort population before you realize...

Also, volcano's do not erupt. magma doesn't rise, doesn't cause sickness (from smoke and such), or anything cool like that, sadly. You can do so man-made via pumps and such, but the fps lose is a killer, and has little purpose beyond melting people and things for fun. :P

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 03:31:39 pm »

Ok, cool.  At least now I have something to go on.