Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Masterwork Reborn  (Read 11108 times)

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Masterwork Reborn
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:22:54 am »

Burning plastic shouldnt create coke, realisticly speaking.

Well...Gnomish plastic is created from peat. Peat itself absorbs CO2 from the environment, which makes it a quite efficient carbon sink.

Coke is created by heating coal to a high temperature, so, theoretically, burning plastic made from peat (which has high amount of carbon in it) in arc furnance would actually produce coke. High temperature should also cause the hazardous chemicals to be destroyed. Never tried it, though...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 09:26:41 am »

I might remove plastic, actually.

The only reason I put it in was due to a quirk, specifically that DF machinery requires logs, but gnomes are supposed to be nature-friendly and would prefer not to cut down trees if they could help it (they aren't quite as tree-huggy as elves, but still).  I thought of giving them the ability to carve logs out of stone or metal, but the carpenter can actually carve any logs regardless of what they are made of (and presumably the wood burner works the same way), so this wouldn't make sense.  So I tried to think of something artificial that was soft-ish and cuttable like wood, and I came up with plastic.

But plastic is kind of synonymous with 'not nature-friendly', so it doesn't really suit the gnomes all that well.  Also, I might remove advanced chemistry from gnome technology altogether, giving them a sort of 'schizo-tech' image (21st+ century physics, early medieval chemistry).

Also, the ability to produce unlimited wooden logs is just the sort of thing they could obtain from the elves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:41:07 am »

Cant you give them a tree-growing workshop?

If they are so nature friendly, why shouldnt the druids grow some wooden logs from seeds? Or you can make metal logs, which would count as buildmat for the vanilla machines. WOOD INORGANIC:STEEL is a valid thing :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 01:17:17 pm »

I don't think the elves, who view the killing of plants as UNTHINKABLE, would create a baby plant factory where plants are grown in mass just to be slaughtered. 

It makes more sense that the elves would only collect fallen tree limbs and use those to fuel their wood industry.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »

I don't think the elves, who view the killing of plants as UNTHINKABLE, would create a baby plant factory where plants are grown in mass just to be slaughtered. 

It makes more sense that the elves would only collect fallen tree limbs and use those to fuel their wood industry.

Anyone thought about the Night Elves from the Warcraft universe? They use some kind of nature-based magic like wisps to collect wood without actually hurting the trees. We could use it...some way. A reaction, perhaps?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 02:40:20 pm »

At least in the most recent versions, Elves use "grown" wood for all their wooden products. It's a fair bet that they use some magic or technology to accomplish this without hurting a tree.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 08:02:29 pm »

If axles can mod, aluminum or copper wires fit their 21st+ century physics I think.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 11:31:02 am »

Or you can make metal logs, which would count as buildmat for the vanilla machines. WOOD INORGANIC:STEEL is a valid thing :D

I thought of giving them the ability to carve logs out of stone or metal, but the carpenter can actually carve any logs regardless of what they are made of (and presumably the wood burner works the same way), so this wouldn't make sense.

Cant you give them a tree-growing workshop?

If they are so nature friendly, why shouldnt the druids grow some wooden logs from seeds?

Being nature friendly doesn't necessarily mean you can grow trees magically.  :P

That seems more of an elfy thing.  But it is a potential gnomish application of elvish magic, if they can trade for...some kind of magical trinket from the elves.  The elves don't necessarily have to agree with how gnomes use their magic...

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

Don'e expect much help from elves. Elves don't cut trees at all, their magic is more about healing old dead trees than growing young trees. In fact, elves don't plant trees, and that's why they cherish trees so much.

Wood is not a problem in MDF. All races (except elf and goblin?) can grow trees in field and cut trees to log in sawmill. Gnomes are friendly to the nature but they don't worship trees, So it's ok to grow and cut trees like any other races.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:16 am »

I just thought of something.  What is the 'shrouded history' of the kobold bulb?  Why is a plant named after kobolds deadly to gnomes?  Maybe we can explore the ancient rivalry between the two pint-sized races in this mod's lore...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 01:23:11 pm »

I just thought of something.  What is the 'shrouded history' of the kobold bulb?  Why is a plant named after kobolds deadly to gnomes?  Maybe we can explore the ancient rivalry between the two pint-sized races in this mod's lore...
In the old masterwork it was changed to slowpoke poison which is not gnome specific. As for it being deadly to gnomes, I figure it was named the same way cobalt was. When people try to smelt cobalt normally they die from poisonous gases, when gnomes are exposed to gnomeblight they die from melting. It is quite strange that it only affects gnomes though, and in vanilla is completely useless. However if there were to be a mod where you might end up under attack from gnomes...
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 02:10:04 pm »

In the old masterwork it was changed to slowpoke poison which is not gnome specific. As for it being deadly to gnomes, I figure it was named the same way cobalt was. When people try to smelt cobalt normally they die from poisonous gases, when gnomes are exposed to gnomeblight they die from melting. It is quite strange that it only affects gnomes though, and in vanilla is completely useless. However if there were to be a mod where you might end up under attack from gnomes...

Oh, it was changed...Hm.

I was coming up with this whole idea about how the gnomes and kobolds have a history of enmity, sort of like how gnomes and goblins hate each other in the Warcraft-verse, but with even more bitterness.  Gnomes make a lot of tech that they want to keep secret, so they get especially angry when the kobolds steal it.  Maybe kobolds have frequently been killed trying to snatch items from automatic factories in motion.  And of course, they're both small, so it's natural for them to see each other as rivals.  So the gnomes retaliate against the 'bolds, and as the conflict escalated, the kobold druids and witchers used a mix of herbology and black magic to breed the kobold bulb as a way of defending themselves against gnome attacks.

Or something like that.  I thought it would be cool.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 10:48:23 pm »

Nice story. Does the game mechanism take count of body size when calculating poison effectiveness? Small creatures such as gnomes and kobolds should be susceptible to poisons.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 12:22:17 am »

Nice story. Does the game mechanism take count of body size when calculating poison effectiveness? Small creatures such as gnomes and kobolds should be susceptible to poisons.

In some cases, probably yes.  There is an optional token called SIZE_DILUTES allowable in the effect of syndromes.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 03:38:19 am »

The purposes of machines and druidism are not quite clear. Gnomes don't have any heavy work that can benefit from automatic machines. But dwarven priest or human mason should be happy if their job can be automatized. For druidism, the only thing that really matters is to keep merit above zero so that you can train your mechanic gorillas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3