Poll

No poll

Blah
- 10 (100%)
Bluh
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Succubus☼ - Discussions and suggestions  (Read 185091 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
☼Succubus☼ - Discussions and suggestions
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:29:18 am »

This is super obsolete and unstable. I don't recommend playing the succubus race or Masterwork DF at all.

This thread is to discuss the renewal of the succubus mod.

The civ is intended to fill the void that recent updates of Dwarf Fortress brought to the demonic lore. It reintroduce creatures players have been previously met and offer the ability to recreate curious structures they encountered in their previous adventures.

The succubi now act as a player version of humanoid devils. They serve a major demon but their goals differ from goblins in that they aim to reshape the world for their master instead of pillaging whoever they can.

HELP NEEDED
If you have a fort under siege, I can use your save for testing purposes. I am looking for siegers (the enemy is idling around a campfire), ambushers (stinky elves sneaking around the map) and undeads. Thank you.

Incoming: Altar of nightmares
- Run effect that target invaders, your succubi or the entire site
- Support battles from the inside of your fort by making invaders crazy or reducing their stats
- Buff you succubi with good thoughts, better strength or fill gaps
- Drop fireballs from the sky!

Spoiler: Roadmap (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long term goals (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 05:10:56 am by Boltgun »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Succubus☼ - Masterwork Reborn
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:05 am »

Quick description
The succubus civ can be played the same as dwarves, but their abilities and workshops is the occasion to try new strategies. This also the time to give up on well designed halls and build spires of impossible materials that connect the heavens to the darkest pits.

• They are all fire and cold immune
  • Pets can be summoned directly into the fort
  • A selection of spells are available, including fire throwing, blight gas, berserk rage...
  • A specialized workshop can also affect your site, like causing invaders to break camp and charge
  • Spoils of war can be reused to your benefit: prisoners can join you, materials can be enhanced and armors improved
  • Endgame goals might include [SPOILERS]

Buildings
  • Vanilla buildings, including soap and lye maker
  • Glassforge, gemforge
  • Floating glass furnace¹, mass window and block production
  • Slade drill¹, create slade boulders/blocks from souls
  • Soul forge¹, upgrade items with souls
  • Screaming maw¹, metallurgy + mix bars with souls for better metals
  • Flesh shaper, upgrades leather, create building materials from body parts
  • Magma well, spawn magma
  • Summoning circle¹, spawn pets
  • Eerie glowing pit¹, run scripted reactions affecting the site
  • Peculiar chamber¹, upgrades pets, can be upgraded into specialized chambers
  • Pit of sin¹, upgrades the succubi with powers
  • Chambers of secrets, writes books to provide powers in adv mode or slabs to enslave demons with
  • Den of iniquity, convert prisoners to your side
  • Well of souls¹, extract souls from slain creatures
  • Upright seal, raises undead around it, spawn a squad of HFS if toppled

¹: Requires magma (as you can see most buildings requires magma)

Special reactions
  • Brew magma into drink
  • Check for powers, list the interaction you gave to one succubus
  • Heat up the forge, spawn one coal, cause heavy drowsiness

Materials
  • No (blood)steel making
  • Full range of leather updates including one steel grade
  • In general, no sawmill or any resource efficient industries, with the exception of glass and slade building materials
  • Metal upgrades¹: bronze > foul bronze (heavier, 20% better), steel > afelsteel (10% better), mithril or any holy metal > styx mithril (10% sharper, heavy)
  • Living leather, steel grade protection and lightweight

¹: If Meph introduce a candidate metal for this, I'll use it instead to avoid  cluttering the forge menu.

Pets
Low tier
  • Nahash, vermin hunter
  • Hellhound¹, two headed dog
  • Nightmare¹, tireless mount

Mid tier
  • Pain elemental, explodes on attack
  • Fire imp, weak fire thrower
  • Toad demon¹, balanced fighter

High tier
  • Tentacle monster¹, multi armed fighter, provides slime as a resource
  • Fire spirit, strong fire thrower
  • HFS

¹ Will be brought by armies on invasions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:28:46 am by Boltgun »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:59:05 am »

If the major bug is that nobles and dark fortresses don't mix, it's probably the CHAT_WORTHY token.  Only the main law giver can have this token for dark fortress civs.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:47:50 am »

It crashed with any position but perhaps CHAT_WORTHY was in fort mode positions. If I cannot have at least a leader, manager and captain, the game should be unplayable. If the wiki is right about dark fortresses, that would be a loss to not have those.

For reference this is the bug :
http://mail.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6941
I'll try removing chat worthy on everyone and find out with 'leader' means truely.
And create a tyrant position dedicated on law making.

Goblins only have variable positions, meaning that the game create positions for them as needed.

There might be other issues as well. After removed positions and generated a world, I started an adventure and you cannot fast travel from a pit. Advs are expected to live in town instead, I guess.

The civ do spread well in tropical lands now with their orientation and biome settings. I'll move them in other lands if desert or tropical themed races are introduced.

- I adjusted chat worthy and law making, the world generates without a crash. And I have to say: Getting out of the dark pits is annoying. Are they supposed to be empty? With time I found that the dark fortresses are actually tiny towers, surrounded by empty trenches, not very exciting in comparison to fortified castle we used to find. Plus, as reported in the mantis, it's completely buggy, with all the population stuck on its ceiling, behind an hatch I cannot open. Trying to approach one destroys FPS.

- I am running in another issue : Babysnatcher is way too effective! The civ gets filled with humans almost every time. The succubi will be item thieves now.

- A crappy compromise to the difficult dark fortresses is to add CAVE_DETAILED on the liked sites. That way, with enough years of world gen, you can start an adventurer in an hill of a dwarven style fort. I'll remove that once the pits properly place its residents.

Otherwise, I have been reviewing descriptions. The personality tends to be quite long, so it has been simplified a bit. On the other hands there are descriptions about horns, tails that never show up. For fun I added feathering too but again those are not showing up yet.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:13:19 pm by Boltgun »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:38:38 am »

I have an important question, how can you call something made by succubi?

For orcs, you have 'orcish' but for succubi, is it's 'succubish', 'succubic', plain 'succubi'?

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 03:40:02 am »

succubic sounds better

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:02 am »

I think succubi is good. Succubic doesn't sound like a word, and there's plenty of adjectives that are just the creature's name. Humans and goblins for example so it's not like it's out of place.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:53:16 am »

Demonic?

Also, the civ probably gets filled with humans because of succubi's low breeding rate.  Only one in ten pairs can marry and have children due to the population ratios, so they breed ten times slower than other races.  Naturally, the descendants of the children they capture will overwhelm them.  Maybe balance out the gender ratio and change the race from 'succubi' to just 'demons'?

If they are item thieves, they will be enemies of orcs and allies of kobolds.  Just something to keep in mind.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:40:50 am »

Well, if you want to go with the corruption theme, would it be possible to have all the captured races only produce more succubi - or perhaps cambions or generic intermediate demons, whose offspring are then succubi?  If it wouldn't probably mess up worldgen, I'd even suggest having succubi be sterile.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Desimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 07:56:48 am »

For orcs, you have 'orcish' but for succubi, is it's 'succubish', 'succubic', plain 'succubi'?

Well they are Demons, lust demons at that so "Lustful"?. It would fit if you are going to add the temples to the 7 D.sins "Wrath sword" "Sword of wrath" "Lust sword" "Sword of lust" etc, but im sure that would be to many names :) .
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:59:21 am by Desimus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:07 am »

I have to agree with demonic.

Even if people dislike the newly introduced Succubus-theme, they can still get the items/armor etc that fit the DF theme. Demonic armor. Demonic meat. Sounds fine to me.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 08:14:33 am »

Well, if you want to go with the corruption theme, would it be possible to have all the captured races only produce more succubi - or perhaps cambions or generic intermediate demons, whose offspring are then succubi?  If it wouldn't probably mess up worldgen, I'd even suggest having succubi be sterile.

This cannot be done unfortunately, humans reproduce with humans for more humans. Idealy, all the prisoners would be corrupted upon joining the civ but there is no way to do that atm.

I'll try tweaking with gender ratios and birth, we'll see how it goes.

Well they are Demons, lust demons at that so "Lustful"?. It would fit if you are going to add the temples to the 7 D.sins "Wrath sword" "Sword of wrath" "Lust sword" "Sword of lust" etc, but im sure that would be to many names :) .

I tried doing that,but it's difficult to gather content and purpose to 7 workshops that are not living in the DF cannon. In the end I grouped it in the temple of sin.

Okay for demonic as the generic race name, I'll keep the main castes succubus/incubus. That suits better the fact that the race ends as a mix of different species over time.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:24:10 am »

Oh wait what, race name?

I thought you were talking about adjectives.  :o Like Succubus:Succubi:demonic.

I shouldnt skim threads so much.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 08:30:29 am »

Oh wait what, race name?

I thought you were talking about adjectives.  :o Like Succubus:Succubi:demonic.

I shouldnt skim threads so much.

Oh, I went a bit far. I thought you mean for the whole line: Demon:Demons:Demonic, but now that we put it that way your proposal is the best one.

I managed to embark on a slade spire and explore it. It dropped my FPS to 2 too.  ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:39 am »

In the mod with 34.11 or the new one? Because that old 2000-4000 undeads shouldnt happen in the new version.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41