Poll

No poll

Blah
- 10 (100%)
Bluh
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Succubus☼ - Discussions and suggestions  (Read 185331 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Succubus☼ - Discussions and suggestions
« Reply #525 on: April 22, 2017, 09:45:22 pm »

no they just fall over dead... I use it in another script.

well I found out where the unit 'was' located when they were captured... apparently the unit.pos.x~z doesn't move with the cage....

and I had an issue trying to scuttle the old unit.... they still sitting in the cage.

yeah you can't change the metadata... I checked your map before I started the process 0,0,last z is an eerie pit... so it worked.  the first time I ran it, it crashed... but I'm not sure why... so now I've got to figure out how to pass the position of their cage and scuttle them in the cage... name passing was a little more difficult, as create-unit doesn't have the ability to give names... so I gave them new names set to random evil, and a nickname set to their first name... at least that way if you know the unit names, you can identify them by their new "nick" names.

but we are making progress... they aren't going into battle mode with all the other units....

so back to writing.. Its nice having the game save right at that point... It's better than having to create a new map, and getting it to that point.  If this all works out it will only be this one script rewritten. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Harem-Rose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2017, 10:29:41 pm »

Yeah. It's like I was saying where I didn't really want to start ANOTHER world after it failed this time. Especially since it was 4 game years before I got an ambush.

When I captured the War Elephants I was quite excited that I finally had some suckers test subjects to try it out on. I decided that if it was still a problem this time I would post about it so I made sure to just (f)ollow the succubus that accepted the conversion job until they dropped the soap and chains off at the job site. I saved immediately just in case.

It didn't work as you know, so I kept trying conversions till I ended up with a "friendly" one. I made another save before opening their door just in case they got killed.

If, in the future, I want to start a new map, how would I determine if my last z level is bad or not?

On another subject, I saw the sprite sheet meph had done for the succubi. I wanted to know if there was already a sprites.txt (or whatever it's called) for that. I get the gist of how to make one of those sheets but I would rather not duplicate previously accomplished work.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:41 am »

simple before you ever unpause the game after reaching the embark, type "reveal hell" and then go to the top left corner all the way down to hell (lol, this is where all the create-units spawn at... I've been trying to find away to move that point...)  if when you get to the bottom level of the map, using (k) to look at the square, the game tells you that there is anything there, eerie glowing pit, slade wall, etc, then it has map data, and create-unit is going to operate just fine... but. if it says nothing.... then the bottom z has no map data on that square and it will have issues.  I went through the chances of this, basically you would have to have a surface change of over 50z+ between one region square and the next region square for a 1z+ change in hell; and that's  only a slight potential shift of the hell floor on that 1 "region square" being off by 1z from the others... so of your playing on a cliff region with the high end on the top left it increases the chance...  Well that means that without actually trying to make it happen, chances are around 10% that you would select a map that is 3x3 and that the top left corner is 50z+ higher than any other region square.

And that's being generous... I've ran hundreds of test generations (every time I make a serious raw change, I run tests for each race effected) and I don't usually even use the find feature (I just take the first random spot they drop me at, and 50 drink/50 meat), basically I'm not even trying to find a sustainable embark.  But I've been checking this location and I've only seen ~10 that had a dead tile,  out of probably ~200 test runs in the last month.  And even if it is a dead tile, its not a total loss.... about 1 in 4 create-unit uses, the game tries to set a flag on the tile the unit appears on, and since it doesn't exist, the game decides to crash.  So even with a "bad tile" embark location, your perfectly capable of accomplish the task with a reasonable setup (I wouldn't suggest converting 15 elephants at one time with such a location).

on the sprites:  I'm not really a "graphic" kind of guy,  I've looked into the "tiles" and other "graphic" issues, and I just don't understand it... we've had a few try to jump on it... I know that dokie made a graphic update... I've not got around to checking it or trying it in the 1.24c environment, but I was told it fixed most of the sprite issues that people were complaining about, all the sprite sheets, and twbt tile swaps etc, I would try that out, before I tried to make a new one.  you might have to go back 2 or 3 pages to find it... I think it was in january when it was produced.

Another note:  I hate to say it but, I'm enforcing a hit on PAUSE on this issue... Its made my head hurt, and I've wasted a good 16 hours trying to bash it out... I'm going to hold onto it, but I'm going to switch to some other projects for a bit (2 or 3 days at least) I have a lot to get done, and I'm not making progress on it, I think I just need to give it breathing room to unravel on its own.... in my head of course.  I'll send you a direct message on the forums if I come up with a solution.  or maybe boltgun will figure it out... lol...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:42:52 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Harem-Rose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 23, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »

Ah, that's unfortunate but I understand the frustration.

Out of curiosity, what part are you stuck on? Is what you have in a somewhat semi-playable state? I wouldn't mind using a somewhat working set of scripts.

Thanks again for all the time you've put into this so far.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2017, 11:57:50 pm »

lol... that was me trying to slap myself out off it... I trudged on after a meal, took a break, I went to a viewing, said goodbye to a dear friend, had a good cry... got home and realized I wasn't thinking correctly and was looking at the wrong issue.  tested a script on a blank page test fort, it worked, tried it on your fort, it failed, looked hard at the line that was failing.... slapped myself a few times on the forehead. and now I am past another problem...

these guys are brand new... they appeared on your traps from the current script...

Now I'm down 2 errors I have to figure out...
1. scuttle the other units... they are in cages and don't die while in the cage with scuttle... the issue that boltgun's dump from cage leaves an odd copy behind in the cage... thats directly linked to the unit you dump from the cage...  I'm going to work around with it and see if I can get that to work...  because I can't apparently kill them until they are outside of the cage... (odd, because I've seen dead things in cages before... but scuttle won't do it... I wonder why).
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:00 am »

and its complete.....

copy corrupt.lua into dwarf fortress\data\save\{your save folders}\raw\scripts\succubus and into dwarf fortress\raw\scripts\succubus
copy create-unit.lua into dwarf fortress\hack\scripts\modtools\

both these files need to be replacing other files, or you're in the wrong location...

funny thing... the dead bodies on the floor terrorifies your new units... so they get a bit of discipline at the start of life... they will be nicknamed the first name of the unit your killing.  you will need to unforbid their armors that are on the floor... I didn't bother to do that part...  Its rather humorous... oh and they do appear on top of the cages, and they don't appear to get mauled as soon as they exit the room... so PERFECT 'fake transformation'  I can't come up with a better solution around all the issues that occured with this script... oh and the cages don't have remnants in them either, apparently the scuttle of the outside unit eradicated the remnants too.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12858

anyone else who wants to try it, your welcome to it, It will be added to 1.24d in my next upload.... back to work on that now!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Harem-Rose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 24, 2017, 01:56:00 pm »

I tried it out, they got "transformed", and then they all immediately started to attack each other. They all fought each other until there was one left. Nobody else in the fort joined in on the fight, just these 15 new Oni. I'm guessing that them trying to dodge the smoke from the workshop pissed them off, either that or it causes confusion in them. I paused as soon as I saw a tiny bit of blood splatter and noticed a large number of combat logs with all the new units. The successful thing is that they did generate in the room where I had caged them.

I read through the create-unit.lua and corrupt.lua files you provided and I was curious if there's a way to read the name and age of the unit you are about to kill to pass it along as their actual name and ages. I saw where you were basically passing along "evil" for name, which I assume picks evil words to create new names. I also saw where you passed in 20 for age

As for them getting scared of the new corpses, is it possible to:
  • Remove unit from cage
  • Forbid unit's carried items and force them to drop the items
  • Capture their coordinates (Possibly also full Name, Age, Relationships, Kills)
  • Teleport the unit somewhere useless then kill it (I found this when I was searching for "dfhack remove unit" on google)
  • Create the new unit at their release coordinates
  • Backfill information for new unit (Full Name, Age, Relationiships, Kills)
  • Stuff them back in their cage so they don't get knocked around with the smoke or when a new unit is created

I know I am asking for a lot with that last part. Ultimately I would be happy with them not killing one another right after being corrupted, but the other stuff would be sweet delicious icing on the cake.

Harem-Rose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 24, 2017, 05:27:34 pm »

As somewhat of an update, I reloaded the save to before the corruption and massive fistfight. They were all depressed and stood around for about half a day. Afterwards, they got up, left the corruption room, and meandered off to "pickup equipment".
At the very least it seems that them playing punch out when they transform is not guaranteed.

I'm still curious about the other things I had asked about but like I said before those aren't as important as the core part of the feature which is "getting units from bad guys".

With that said, thank you again for all the work you put into this.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 24, 2017, 06:05:14 pm »

I tried it out, they got "transformed", and then they all immediately started to attack each other. They all fought each other until there was one left. Nobody else in the fort joined in on the fight, just these 15 new Oni. I'm guessing that them trying to dodge the smoke from the workshop pissed them off, either that or it causes confusion in them. I paused as soon as I saw a tiny bit of blood splatter and noticed a large number of combat logs with all the new units. The successful thing is that they did generate in the room where I had caged them.

I read through the create-unit.lua and corrupt.lua files you provided and I was curious if there's a way to read the name and age of the unit you are about to kill to pass it along as their actual name and ages. I saw where you were basically passing along "evil" for name, which I assume picks evil words to create new names. I also saw where you passed in 20 for age

As for them getting scared of the new corpses, is it possible to:
  • Remove unit from cage
  • Forbid unit's carried items and force them to drop the items
  • Capture their coordinates (Possibly also full Name, Age, Relationships, Kills)
  • Teleport the unit somewhere useless then kill it (I found this when I was searching for "dfhack remove unit" on google)
  • Create the new unit at their release coordinates
  • Backfill information for new unit (Full Name, Age, Relationiships, Kills)
  • Stuff them back in their cage so they don't get knocked around with the smoke or when a new unit is created

I know I am asking for a lot with that last part. Ultimately I would be happy with them not killing one another right after being corrupted, but the other stuff would be sweet delicious icing on the cake.

yeah exterminate is a direct dfhack command to scuttle, it doesn't work inside the cage, I could of sent them to hell...  which would probably been age appropriate... but I don't know they may have caused aggro to all of the underworld too...   they should of been full citizens... part of the issue with inputting back info and part of the reason they had issues outside, is that the old unit are on enemy lists.  the more I copy into the unit, the more I'm risking copying a bit that makes it recognizable as an enemy... the name thing, I want. original age sure.  Kills are a no, a part of the cleaning we were trying to do before was ensuring 0 kill lists.... if they had a I got hit by, or I was fighting with, or I killed the husband of so and so attached to them, it caused aggro faster.

I am already looking at it that the one addition that it needs is a return unitID in create-item.lua, and hopefully that will fly back through to corrupt.lua, if it does, then a full name copy is possible, (names aren't just stored words, they are stored list of language commands, first name 1 word, second name could be anything from 'axe''blade' to 'the fiercekiller''of one dwarf' it has to be tied to its language, that's how the game generates the name, and how various "scripts" can show you the actual name in english).  relationships are tied to a whole list of things, If I say set a new unit to be married to the old unit's wife, then I have to pull up the old unit's wife and set her married to the new unit.  with the death of the old unit, you're looking at a chopping of having to deal with any of that, his wife thinks he's missing, possibly dead, she may grieve him, she may come searching for him.. who knows.

as for the massive fistfight, were they actually in the "civillians" list or were they just listed as "friendly" units, and were their any errors in the dfhack console.

nothing is ever perfect, there is always room for improvement, but one of the bugs I hit, was making them pop as just friendly and not setting their civ_id or group_id and they seemed to go aggro crazy on each other.

really I would of loved to see what the first line of combat was... in dwarf fortress there is a file called: gamelog.txt its a line by line addition of all announcements and attack reports as they happen.  when you have a fight, you can pause and go to it.  you can then scroll up through the file and discover all sorts of interesting things, but main thing is who hits who first.  usually when before a person attacks another it will say "unit x was interupted by a miller" the next thing you will see is a line saying they are attacking the miller etc...

anyways... I'm officially calling that issue closed, I've got to move through the clean up on reactions... they are sickly thick in places, and no standardization making them hard to read.  this thing I may come back to later or if it breaks in a future version I'll try to incorporate those ideas.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Harem-Rose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 24, 2017, 06:28:35 pm »

Alright. That seems to make sense. As for the fistfight, they were definitely citizens as I tried adding them to squads to station them away from each other. However, as I said, loading and trying again made them not angry at each other. In the future, I'll just have to save beforehand and make a backup to get around stuff not working as intended.
I look forward to stealing reeducating invaders neighborly friends and subjugating hiring them to kill their prior friends and families cook some wicked meals.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2017, 05:29:25 am »

Now that dfhack 43.05 is out of beta, it is time to compile these fix into something stable. I'll give a new glance at makeown first because I did expect to get the anon errors and it makes for prettier legends (while more solid, spawning a new unit completely wipes history, relations, etc.). Also makeown will be useful for that "tame hell" goal that should be added in the near future.

If that requires more than renaming variables, I'll integrate Amostubal's fixes.

I should have a look at syndrome too because the whole magic parts are all coded and integrated (look for SUCCUBUS_POWER) in the entity file, but it only lack a critical part on dfhack's side.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2017, 07:37:24 pm »

cool enough boltgun... notice they incorporated a few fixes to create-unit that I suggested,   primarily a hack around teleport that functions, so no more need for teleport so the missing mapdata error that was plaguing trying to teleport created units is gone... I updated the MW packed scripts to use the new format... Its appended to the end of the args to all the functions in create-unit, pass a 3 value array position value there.  If its missing, it will ignore the fix to move the unit leaving it at 0,0 bottom z so old scripts aren't really broken as long as they had handled that error....   I think I made changes to corruption and summoning... so take a look at those.  you can just look at them directly at my github, if you don't want to download the entire pack. 

I'm currently waiting for verification that TWBT is available for R1 before I make the switch... Its up lol, I'l start working on getting them into the next version.   the branch v1.26-planned/commit branches are where I'm working on the next version.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:39:42 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 16, 2017, 08:14:57 am »

Nice job, I can see it in the summoning script. This is logical anyway to provide the location of the created unit.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2017, 07:39:44 pm »

Nice job, I can see it in the summoning script. This is logical anyway to provide the location of the created unit.

I thought so too... why wasn't the functions passing the location... the complex command line has it, but that thing is so akward.. I've been updating scripts that use the complex command line and switching them to the simpler functions, beesides they pass unitIds which allow so much more flexibility...
well I'm glad your impressed... makeown pissed me off soooooooo bad, I hope you can fix it.  It might be something I jump back on in a month or so.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 22, 2017, 01:04:12 am »

Okay, I'm lost. How does the new magma well work? It says it spawns an aquifer of lava in one of the cardinal directions, but im not seeing any new magma. I have tried putting it up against a wall, having it in open space, digging under it, having open space under it, having open space above it, only digging out those spaces after it runs, only digging out those spaces while its being run, running it on repeat for all of the above. Then repeating all of this with aquiferable materials like sands instead of stone.

I can't seem to figure out where the magma is.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41