Poll

No poll

Blah
- 10 (100%)
Bluh
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Succubus☼ - Discussions and suggestions  (Read 187426 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Succubus☼ - Masterwork Reborn
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:35 pm »

Wow multiple personality would be fun. I might not use all these features as warlocks are more likely to command ghosts. Succubi would treat souls more as food, or a currency.

However this multiple souls would be fun to use, succubi would possess creatures from the safety of their dungeon and maybe outside of the site.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 03:44:40 pm »

Yeah, it would be cool.  I don't think that multiple personalities are actually supported yet, but a single unit can store as many souls as needed.  Only one is manifest at a time, but a script could be used to switch them.

Some soul things can be a little counterintuitive, though.  Thoughts are not contained in souls, but mental attributes, skills, preferences, and personality is.  Souls also have a species and caste identity, sexual orientation, a civ id, and a 'cultural identity' separate from the civ id, whatever that means.  Stress levels also seem to be contained in souls, which can prove...interesting for those who will habitually eat the souls of the creatures they tortured to death.

Cloning or swapping souls is actually a fairly simple matter of copying the entire soul over the target creature.  It seems that souls are simply elaborate data tables, not actual in-game objects.  I just implanted the soul of a female camel into a human male.  No obvious effects, except that he doesn't seem to be able to learn skills anymore.  Of course, I'm still in Arena Mode.  Things might get more interesting with creatures that actually belong to civilizations and such.

Maybe succubi could eat the powerful souls, and burn the unskilled ones into something to run their forges with?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 04:07:58 pm »

Yes, one easy way to distinguish the soul's power would be to use item quality, a masterwork sould would from a powerful creature with legendary skills would a low quality was just an animal soul.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 04:10:11 pm »

This is certainly getting interesting. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 07:21:20 pm »

Well, it seems that zombies do not, in fact, have souls.  Creatures can live without them, although they can't learn - experience is applied to whichever soul is active at the time.

Viewing soul-less civ members in fortress mode will, unfortunately, result in a 'text generation failed' error message.  This is less of a problem if they are actual zombies, I suppose, although controlling them could be an issue.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 10:27:16 am »

This is certainly getting interesting. :D

It's interesting to see that each race thread went on a specific feature of the game.  :P

Well, it seems that zombies do not, in fact, have souls.  Creatures can live without them, although they can't learn - experience is applied to whichever soul is active at the time.

Viewing soul-less civ members in fortress mode will, unfortunately, result in a 'text generation failed' error message.  This is less of a problem if they are actual zombies, I suppose, although controlling them could be an issue.

Perhaps civ members tries to access soul infos for personnality and culture and are always expected to have a soul. I'm curious how it will look for a corrupted member, will they keep their former civ culture or embrace their new ones? It's always surprising to see what they keep, like humans keeping their fear of darkness when they become devils.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:19 am »

Creatures who transform keep their own original souls, so presumably that would also apply to succubus transformations.

I've decided to try storing 'item-stored' souls in an abstract unit with a reference stored in a persistent variable.  It seemed neater than trying to store souls in creatures that presumably didn't have them, especially if there's going to be some kind of multiple-soul support.

I'm using a very weird experimental system that uses reaction ids as a kind of simple 'script'.  What it lacks in elegance, it makes up for with flexibility.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:21 pm »

Yeah, it would be cool.  I don't think that multiple personalities are actually supported yet, but a single unit can store as many souls as needed.  Only one is manifest at a time, but a script could be used to switch them.

Some soul things can be a little counterintuitive, though.  Thoughts are not contained in souls, but mental attributes, skills, preferences, and personality is.  Souls also have a species and caste identity, sexual orientation, a civ id, and a 'cultural identity' separate from the civ id, whatever that means.  Stress levels also seem to be contained in souls, which can prove...interesting for those who will habitually eat the souls of the creatures they tortured to death.

Cloning or swapping souls is actually a fairly simple matter of copying the entire soul over the target creature.  It seems that souls are simply elaborate data tables, not actual in-game objects.  I just implanted the soul of a female camel into a human male.  No obvious effects, except that he doesn't seem to be able to learn skills anymore.  Of course, I'm still in Arena Mode.  Things might get more interesting with creatures that actually belong to civilizations and such.

Maybe succubi could eat the powerful souls, and burn the unskilled ones into something to run their forges with?

About this, especially concerning the devouring of souls by succubi. Would such things like the stress values possibly be 'digested', or, using more Hellish metaphor, 'burned out' by the succubi's  system?

Also, I've seen you say how every creature has a soul, barring undead. Would, as demons, Succubi and Clowns have souls? Or at least, would they have 'conventional souls' like every other living creature? Mythology from various cultures is a little back and forth on this, whether demons have no souls (They die and leave just a corpse, perhaps that quickly vanishes into the ether), or their souls are just corrupt perversions of the norm, (when they die, they leave a corpse and soul), or they themselves are souls in corporeal form (No corpse, just 'poofing' into a soul upon death). What's your take on how that would work in game terms, for Succibi, and Clowns if falling in the same category?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »

From what I'm reading, if they don't have souls, they can't improve their skills and don't have thoughts (or at least the player can't view their thoughts.)  This would be more of a technical issue than a flavor one.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 07:27:12 pm »

I think manipulating the systems already in the game would make the most sense.  Demons do indeed have souls, and quite powerful ones at that.  I imagine eating them would be a fast way to level up.

Although, strangely enough, creatures with NATURAL_SKILLs such as demons are not generated with actual experience points; only an effective skill level.  I'm not sure what that means practically, it could be that artificially boosted skills will not level up normally, you would have to actually reach that point in real experience before you could level up further.

Maybe when eating a soul, the creature could be boosted with a percentage of both their skill level and their experience level separately.  So nomming demon souls would let you reach level 10 fast, but you'd still have to go through the same amount of combat experience to actually reach legendary levels.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 08:07:48 pm »

I think manipulating the systems already in the game would make the most sense.  Demons do indeed have souls, and quite powerful ones at that.  I imagine eating them would be a fast way to level up.

Although, strangely enough, creatures with NATURAL_SKILLs such as demons are not generated with actual experience points; only an effective skill level.  I'm not sure what that means practically, it could be that artificially boosted skills will not level up normally, you would have to actually reach that point in real experience before you could level up further.

Maybe when eating a soul, the creature could be boosted with a percentage of both their skill level and their experience level separately.  So nomming demon souls would let you reach level 10 fast, but you'd still have to go through the same amount of combat experience to actually reach legendary levels.
No to that NATURAL_SKILL thing. I've played fortresses with creatures that have natural skill. Kobolds in Masterwork even have them. I think gnomes, which you even designed have them too! In those cases they definitely start with that amount of experience. I've realized you might mean creatures that can't gain skill, but have natural skills. If that's the case then that's pretty interesting.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 01:44:59 am »

One thing to remember that the technical term 'soul' is only a data table to  store info that is not related to a body. It just happen to be called soul in the code because it's the data that is the closest of the perception of the essence of an human being. So rules like 'do x and y have a soul' does not apply, everything that need to use skills or emotions have a soul.

Likewise, for an optimization reason a natural skill creature might have it's experience set only after gaining xp because animals may have natural levels without ever gaining an experience point.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:10:53 am by Boltgun »

Sokengo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2015, 12:32:59 am »

Here a new system for souls that I have been thinking, after writing all of this I realized that this will affect the other races and probably should put this in the general theme but, oh well.

Separate the souls into four types, Tame Soul, Wild Soul, Pure Soul and Corrupted Soul
Tame Souls are from normal animals, they can be processing for cooking or trapped in gems for low tier rituals.
Wild Souls are from giant animals and most underground animals, they can be processing for cooking or trapped in gems for medium tier rituals.
Pure Souls are from sentient creatures, they can be processing for cooking or trapped in gems and they are used for most of your rituals
Corrupted Souls are from Megabeasts, Forgotten beast/Titan and HFS and can be trapped in gems for high tier rituals, they can't be eating but can be devour in the Temple of Sin for a stats buff.

Soul can either be "raw" that may disappear if you left them lying on the ground and can be used directly for rituals. "Processed" that are stored in barrels for food and need at least one other solid food to be prepared into meals. And "gem" that doesn't decompose and can be used in rituals and trade.

All Succubus receive a happy thought for eating souls, a buff in all learning skills and the possibility of becoming addicted to souls, Tame Souls having the lowest (3-5%?) and Corrupted Souls having the highest (50%?). When a Succubus become addicted to souls she will gain +250 in all body attributes, -250 in all soul attributes, except for Willpower and Kinesthetic Sense, and talented in one random combat skill and liar. She doesn't need food or sleep and will not claimed any room, when on a break she will seek and devour the soul of other sentient creatures that they catch sleeping. If you leave a Succubus devour to many souls she will become a random HFS unleashing FUN in your fortress.

All reactions that used souls have to be modified to accommodate to this system but a few reactions that I would like to specify are:
You can merge 5 Tame Souls into one Wild Soul and 5 Wild Souls into one Pure Soul in the Well of souls. You can also breaks one Corrupted Soul for 60 Tame Souls, 25 Wild Souls and 10 Pure Souls.
You can devour raw souls in the Temple of Sin for a stats buff but with a increase in the risk of addiction:
- Devour Tame Soul > 50 in a random body attribute
- Devour Wild Soul > 80 in a random body attribute
- Devour Pure Soul > 150 in all body attribute
- Devour Corrupted Soul > 350  in all body attribute
"Learn pheromones + entice" used one Corrupted soul.
The Temple of Fire has a new reaction called "Cleaning in Flames" that uses 10 Pure souls to remove addiction to souls, gives a permanent debuff in all attributes.
Summoning HFS only used one Corrupted Soul, they are pets that can't be trained for war or hunting and are always tame but they will devour the soul of any creature in a restraint or cage. You can make them like Plump Helmet Man for extra FUN.

This also gives a reason to go to the secret FUN for farming of Corrupt Souls or maybe you can create a means to trade prisoners and large amount of Pure Souls for Corrupt Souls only unlockable when you discover the secret FUN.

And finally I think the Megabeast Kennels should be a building only available for Succubus and Warlocks, fits more thematically, Succubus resurrect them with additional fire power and Warlocks with undead features.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2015, 01:12:55 am »

I posted this in the Orc Thread awhile back, but it applies double to Succubi;

A player can cut sandstone/bassalt/whatever kind of common rock their map has into gem shapes, and then use them for all the fun reactions that call for cut gems. Needless to say, this makes getting all the good Gemtipped gear stupid easy, and allows players to make some rock objects that they can't make at the Mason Station, such as bins.

On the Orc thread I suggested using Raw Gems instead of cut for the reactions, but it was pointed out that this was an imperfect idea because it takes a step out and makes the items less labor intensive. I've since come up with another solution; Simply take the 'Gem Tipped' material out, and boost the combat properties of all the real gems to gem-tipped levels. This way players can still use sandstone or whatnot for lesser tasks such as containing souls or making boxes, but it will suck at making most weapons or armor. This idea has the pleasant side effect of making whatever gem artifacts a fort may come up with actually viable.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2015, 06:34:19 am »

Weirdsound, that is the first idea I had, but there is a side-effect: Since there are no gem furnitures, ammos, weapons and armors, there are neither stockpile options, nor military uniform options for them.

The items would stay in the workshop, unused, except if you assign them to the military by hand, item by item.

You can still build gem furniture, but it would never be stockpiled.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41