Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An idea for Taverns  (Read 2508 times)

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An idea for Taverns
« on: January 13, 2015, 01:05:24 pm »

I read the recent update by toady, And he mentioned standing orders to maintain booze stockpiles.

I was wondering if establishing booze and food storage items would not be a bad idea, like in a hospital, where there are chests that hold the necessary surgical items within.

Maybe a new piece of furniture called a tapped keg or barrel which holds booze, and a larder or pantry that holds food. They will be constantly stocked and depending on the way you set the area, either everyone is welcome to get food from the larder and kegs. Or you could set it to a salable system where visitors have to be served by active staff and pay for food and service.

this would require a new job.. food service!

Maybe this is what Toady is thinking of, but I really like the idea.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: An idea for Taverns
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:50:21 pm »

Well, it seems like he's thinking more in the way of a room designed from furniture according to the log, but I thought too it would seem to work better with the activity zone mechanic. Anyway, I think he has spoken of eventually making a lot of things like zones, for example a carpentry workshop wouldn't be a small construction out of a single material like now but you'll need to set up the table(s), bench(es), storage(s) and the tools (which I think would work like the medical supplies on the hospital right now). So who knows..
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »

He said it would be like a meeting hall or dining room so taverns might be possible to designate both ways... I do like the idea of having booze on tap, maybe give those mugs something to do besides be sold to traders. There doesn't seem to be a real need for it right now since stockpiles basically do the same thing and dwarves are perfectly happy to drink from barrels, but it would be a nice addition in the future...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:37 am »

I would very much like to see a improvement over how drinking works. It would be interesting to have booze on a tap indeed, not only on your tavern but in your main dinning hall, and have dwarves use mugs instead of drinking out of barrels.

From the last log it would definitively seem he's working taverns (and temples) as zones. Which frankly is far more logical for most things like workshops, markets and other stuff. instead of building a workshop you should be able to "build" (more like place) machines, furniture and actual constructions like walls only.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:55:33 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:40:28 am »

It would be really cool if you could build a gigantic barrel in the dining room and the tavern that would get refilled with the smaller barrels as stuff gets brewed. It'd be like a booze cistern.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »

Perhaps booze can be a new liquid! imagine a 20x20 grid space filled 7 deep with dwarven ale! a new construct called a tap that allows you to dispense booze from the next tile over!

imagine all the dwarves who would drown in it!
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:06:28 pm »

I envision it more like a machine (or how currently workshop are) wish is loaded with several selected barrel of booze and stores mugs.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:42:05 pm »

I'd be in favor of a tavern if it makes the dwarves sing songs about gold and get into fights with each other.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 08:20:16 pm »

Taps might work as a similar sort of table-furniture item, like traction benches are currently - then dwarves could put barrels or large pots on them to get/serve drinks, as distinct from tables. It would be good to be able to have dwarves keep barrels in specific parts of a tavern, and get an unhappy thought from going to a stockpile. (Also a good try-out for the kitchen/food service improvements people are hanging out for)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 07:19:40 am »

Exactly what I think. You set up a workshop/furniture and get it loaded with barrel(s) and maybe mugs too and the guys drink out of that instead. Dwarves could still drink like they do now, but get a minor unhappy tough, perhaps depending on his manners. Young or rude dwarves wouldn't care so much as a king or mayor maybe?

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 01:24:52 pm »

I definitely like that idea. unhappy thoughts about the quality if the drinking source as well as the drink itself.

food would be the same way, food can be eaten in your hands, like the biscuits, and no negative thoughts will arise (unless they really LOVE plates). Eat a Fine meal without dishes, and unhappy thoughts may arise.

also, food mess! crumbs from buscuits, soup on the floors (leading to accidents maybe) the need to clean the tavern or people get unhappy thoughts!
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:14 am »

With the current bug on pools and splatters, I'm getting an image of Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice, with young female dwarves hauling plates filled with mugs, while wading through a mix of booze, vomit (imported booze), and blood. Awesome  :)

Also, why don't dwarves use mugs? I can get them walking to a barrel and drinking, but why not carry a mug to scoop the beer from the barrel?
" Urist McDrunk had a happy thought from drinking with his *mug* "

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »

They don't use mugs right now because toady has not added that functionality in. I suspect that will be added at some point to the tavern update he's working on now.

I am looking forward to the taverns more and more.

Toady, i hope your reading this! :-P
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:46 am »

Booze needs to be a new fluid in the tavern arc, yes.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 12:10:53 am »

If booze was a new fluid (the various boozes being treated as various fluids), then a building like the current "well" could be the "tap".  Instead of barrels in stockpiles several kilometers long, large specially made rooms could be made to contain the stuff.  This would be an interesting usage for good biomes with "special" rains of beer or suchlike, because the beer cisterns could be refilled from the "divine" yearly rain of beer/wine/brandy/whatever.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: [1] 2